Re: [jacksongenealogy] Cox-Hankins

  • Alta Fae Brown
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 22, 2009
      May I ask a question: Is this your Willis?

      Name: Willis Morton Cornelison
      County: Jackson
      State: Alabama
      Birth Date: 25 Mar 1883
      Race: White
      Roll: 1509390

      I guess it could be miss indexed by Ancestry, yet the "I" does not dotted;
      and the "o" could be an "a" I suppose, yet it looks like an "o." I have
      saved the image, Clay could you give your expert eye and see if it is Martin
      or Morton, as it sure appears the index is right for the name. He states
      his wife is Minnie, and he lives at Route 1, Scottsborro, J Ala, he states
      his age as 35 born March 25, 1883 - he has blue eyes, dark hair, med height,
      and Stout build. Registered by Frank Thompson 9 12 18 (Farmer, Native Born,
      White Serial 683 A413).

      I have some information on Minnie Francis Cox b. 10-11-1887, yet I am not
      sure if I have all the children since this is a side surname for me to
      research and I have left most of the research to there direct lines. This
      journey has been very interesting, connecting the Hankins and/or Hawkins,
      Sander or Saunder, Pace, Brandon, Cornelison, Smith, Hill in a round about
      way that always amazes me to see just how close families were between 1850 -
      1930 in this area. I have more on Willis Cornelison as family has provided
      me with various documents as this family intermarries with mine in several
      areas of the country, and too many surnames to count.

      Odd, the name Thomas Berry Brandon and with the listing above there is also
      a:

      Name: Thomas Berry Cornelison
      County: Jackson
      State: Alabama
      Birth Date: 3 Feb 1882
      Race: White
      Roll: 1509390
    • Clay Gullatt
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 22, 2009
        Jimmie

        The way he signed looks like Willis Marton Cornelison. You could argue about whether it is Marton or Morton but it is not Martin. And it looks to me that Marton is the way the clerk has it also. There were a bunch of Martons in Madison and Cherokee counties. At least one family of Marton in Jackson Co. Elizabeth Marton in 1860 Paint Rock and Marton are on the 1900/20/30, of course the indexer of the 1860 has Elizabeth's daughter Nancy as Wong Marton.

        A lot of clerks and enumerators spelled names as they sounded so it all depends on accents and how the name was pronounced.

        But then again clerks have been known to be wrong that is why I am a Gullatt and not a Gullett (the original spelling), a court clerk made his e's and a's the same way.

        Clay

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 22, 2009
          Thanks Clay, we have to let the family decide - yet this family took about
          the same journey that my Brazier did, most of Elijah b 1800 children married
          in Madison, then they moved into Jackson - it appeared several of my
          surnames followed each other or were working on each others farms - Colbert,
          Fear, Cornelison, Sanders/Saunders, even my third great grandmother ended up
          in Stone Berry Beat.

          Always amazed with what we find from simple pieces of the puzzle.

          Jimmie
        • Alta Fae Brown