Re: [jacksongenealogy] James M Hankins

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 22, 2009
      James M. Hankins patented land as follows in Jackson Co.
      4/2/1857 119.62 Acres in Sect. 8 Township 3 Range 5
      12/1/1850 39.88 Acres in Sect. 8 Township 3 Range 5

      In can argued that the following is him also:
      James M. Hawkins
      12/1/1859 79.62 Acres Sects. 7/8 Township 3 Range 5

      This land is next to James M. Hankins and I have found no James M. Hawkins in Jackson Co.

      All of this land is southwest of Skyline and west of State Hwy 79 in the northwest corner of section 8 and northeast corner of section 7.

      Yes, there were still full blood Cherokee living in Jackson Co. in the 1860s and 1870s. After what happened in the 1830s who would list their wife or parent as Indian? You will find few listed as such on any of the census. Jemima (Welsh) Clark a full blood Cherokee b. 1796 NC d. Feb 1872 Bellefonte Jackson Co. wife of Isaac Clark b.ca1779  VA d. 1861 Jackson Co. and mother in law to James M. and Thomas J. Gullatt was still living in 1860 and 1870. Many of Jemima's  13 half blood children were also living in Jackson Co, some of whom were alive in 1900.

      I don't descend from Jemima (Welsh) Clark but James M. Gullatt's second wife Malissa Payne Harper.

      Clay