JAMES E TERRY ca 1881 TN - IN SCOTTSBORO, JACKSON CO, AL 1900

  • TOM F DUNKLIN
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2009
      Seeking information about a James E. Terry who was on the 1900 Scottsboro AL census in the household of Hugh Crosby, #240.

      Believed to be the son of Mary Magdalene Furgerson Terry and Jame P. Terry of TN. Would like any and all info on Mary, James P and James E.

      Any help appreciated

      Paula

    • Clay Gullatt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 19, 2009
        Paula

        All this is a well, maybe?

        I think this is Hugh W. Crosby and Mary M. Terry's marriage record.

        U. (Hugh) W. Cozby m. M. E. Terry 28 Mar 1899 Jackson Co. AL MOG I. B. Sargent OS Page 114

        1900 Dist.40 All outside Scottsboro, Jackson Co. AL
        Hugh Crosby Head Dec 1846 53 mar.1yr AL AL AL
        Mary M. Wife Apr 1861 39 mar.1yr 4Children 2Living TN ARK TN
        Frank Son Jan 1886 14 AL AL AL
        Isaac M. Son Oct 1889 10 AL AL AL
        Andrew Flippo Son in Law  Oct 1878 21 TN AL TN
        Callie Flippo Dau Apr 1883 17 mar.1yr no children AL AL AL
        James E. Terry St.Son Jun 1881 18 TN TN TN
        John Crosby Son Oct 1876 23 AL AL AL

        1910 Sanders Jackson Co. AL
        House/Family 70
        N. W. Cosby Head 68 mar.2 11yrs AL NC NC (I read it as U.W.)
        M. M. Wife 62 mar.3 TN OK TN
        Annie Flippo Granddau 9 AL AL AL
        Lawrence Cosby Grandson 6 AL AL CA

        House/Family 71
        Callie Woodall Head 60 TN TN TN
        Jessie Cosby (male) Boarder 4 A: AL CA (birth place indexed as AL I read it as Arkansas)

        Hugh's age could just as well be 66 or 63 as the tail of the 2 above extends down into his age, if it is Hugh Crosby then its 63. A case of hearing what you want Hugh = U.

        Here is Hugh Crosby on the 1880 I do believe it is the person as on the 1900 and 1910.

        !880 Seminole, Chattooga Co. GA
        Hugh W. Crosby Head Farmer AL NC NC
        Sarah 29 Wife Keeping House GA SC SC
        James W. 11 Son Farm Lab. AL AL GA
        Milton 8 Son AL AL GA
        Lafayett 7 Son TN AL GA
        John G. 4 Son GA AL GA

        If this is them on the 1910 then this was Mary M.'s third marriage and Terry was surname of her second husband.

        One of the Flippo researchers may be able to tell you if the two Flippo children on the 1910 are Andrew and Callie Flippo's children.

        Callie Woodall is on the 1900 Censu b. Aug 1846 TN KY TN wife of Andrew J. Woodall.

        Where did James E. Terry live after the 1900 census?

        Clay

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 19, 2009
          On the 1910 M. M. Cosby listed 4Children 2Living.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 19, 2009
            Hi Clay. You're right on all counts about James E. Terry and the CROSBY/COSBY relationship. I'm just grasping at straws trying to learn all I can about everyone connected with Hugh, or Uriah, as some think. There are many, many things that point to Uriah being the Hugh W CROSBY on some of the records I've found, but it would take a lot of time to explain right now. Their lives seemed to intertwine a lot.

            What I need more than anything right now, is to find out where Uriah was in 1870. As I've mentioned before, these two men just can't seem to be found on separate census records in the same year. If I can find Uriah AND Hugh in 1870, then maybe I can finally assume that they are not the same man but two separate men. So.....if anyone can find me a Uriah W COSBY and a Hugh W CROSBY or COSBY, I would be so grateful!

            Paula