Civil War Records

  • sromanek
    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 30, 2001
      Forwarded from another list.

      Sharon Dover Romanek

      Civil War Records

      Hello List!
      I found the following in the books "8th Virginia Infantry" by
      John E. Divine, and "45th Virginia Infantry" by J.L. Scott.

      LEGEND
      b................born
      bur.............buried
      C...............Captured
      Cav............Cavalry
      CCC...........Carroll County Census
      cem............cemetery
      Co..............County or Company
      CSA...........Confederate States of America
      d................died
      dis..............discharged
      enl..............enlisted
      exch...........exchanged
      hosp...........hospital
      inf...............infantry
      K................Killed
      KIA.............Killed In Action
      M................Missing
      MW.............Mortally Wounded
      mwded.........mortally wounded
      NFR.............No Further Record
      par................paroled
      POW............Prisoner of War
      Pt.................Point
      PWR.............Post War Roster
      qtr.................quarter
      RCC..............Russell County Census
      regt...............regiment
      res................resident
      Rich..............Richmond
      TCC...............Tazewell County Census
      transf.............transfer
      WCC.............Wythe County Census
      W or wded.....Wounded
    • Joseph T. Richardson
      Message 43 of 43 , Sep 20, 2010
        I highly recommend Footnote.com. I've had cases where I paid the National
        Archives for a record search, only for them to return back that they
        couldn't find the records (despite my giving specific names, dates, and file
        numbers). I later found the records on Footnote.com. I've been a member for
        four years, and have them to be fast, reliable, good quality, and with a
        wide (and ever-growing) catalog of records.

        --Joseph