Re: [jacksongenealogy] Consort

  • Elaine Tinsley
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 11, 2009
      Regina,
      There is a large cemetery in Macon. Most of the graves are very old. The husband's grave was in the middle (some of the largest and most elaborate monuments I have seen) and the consort on one side, with the mistress on the other side. I was shocked, couldn't believe my eyes. Was this normal for plantation owners? I also wondered if the mistress was a slave? As large as the monuments were, some one had money, I suppose.

      Sorry if I got off the subject of Jackson County.

      Elaine Tinsley

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 11, 2009
        David

        From the census it would seen that this is Mary H. Larkin and Frederick Obediah Hurt, they married after the 1900 Census. Mary H. Larkin is listed with her younger brother William R. Larkin and her mother Francis E.. Fredrerick O. is listed with his brother William. Both listed as Single on the 1900, Frederick is listed as Wd on the 1910 and 1920. Both Mary and Obediah are listed on the 1880 census with their parents. Mary with her parents on the 1870 listed as Larkins and Obediah Hurt in 1870 living in the household of John W. and Mary Ellis, he is listed as 16 Clerk in Store b. TN.

        Someone would have to lookup their marriage at the courthouse as the marriage index only goes to 1900/1901.

        Can't say this is right until you see the marriage certificate.

        Clay

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 11, 2009
          This inscription means:
          "Mr. E.H., Dillard, who was 32 years, 1 mos, 13 days, (when he died)
          consort of Ann Dillard (who is still alive)

          Consort meaning his spouse is STILL ALIVE
          If the obit had said RELICT it would have meant his spouse was DECEASED

          It has nothing to do with his children.

          Jewel

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 12, 2009
            Thank you, Clay. I had never been able to find W.R. Larkin and family in
            the 1870 census. Should have checked the variant spellings! (Duhhhhh!)

            To give you all an idea of the war's impact on 'Old Jackson'. In 1860, WRL's
            property was valued at over $60,000. By 1870 it was $1,500 real and $6,000
            personal, most of that probably mercantile goods. Cotton and slaves all gone.

            Glory to God,

            David Malbuff
            Strasburg, Virginia

            David