MEANING OF CONSORT

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2009
      The definition of CONSORT was a spouse and was a Victorian term used by
      educated people in lieu of "husband" or "wife" in both newspaper obits
      and on tombstones in the 1800s and even into the early 1900s. The
      couple were definitely legally married when consort was used.
      Ann B. Chambless

    • jackman_0645
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10, 2009
        Ann is the definative authority. I am sure she is correct. I was simply going by my experience in Japan and Europe. I certainly meant no disrespect to anyone. I hope that is understood.
        John L Hamilton

      • malbuff@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 10, 2009
          Thank you to Ann and to everyone else who replied. I know Edward and Ann
          Dillard were married, I have the marriage date and record. I'm afraid my
          knowledge of the term 'consort' was incorrect. Thanks again to all of you for
          teaching me something new, and helping to set the record straight.

          Glory to God,

          David Malbuff
          Strasburg, Virginia