Re: HURT/LARKIN/DILLARD

  • nettiebau1952
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 10, 2009
      I don't believe that is correct. This is what the dictionary of genealogy says:

      Consort
      Consort applies to the spouse who died first, and is generally used to refer to the wife. When called "the consort of John Smith," it means that Mrs. Smith died first and that Mr. Smith then became a widower -- the Relict.

      The word consort is the opposite of the word relict in the sense that a marriage is a consortium of husband and wife, hence each is a consort only while the union survives. The survivor of the marriage becomes the relict of that union.

      http://www.eogen.com/Consort

      Annette Bradford

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "jackman_0645" <hkatherinejohn@...> wrote:

      > Consort I believe means they were in a relationship with out the benifit of marriage.
      > John L Hamilton
      >
      > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Malbuff" <malbuff@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have a couple of confusing items here.
      > >
      > > On his gravestone at Blue Springs cemetery, Edward H Dillard's
      > > inscription reads: "E.H., CONSORT OF ANN DILLARD,
      > > AGED 32 YEARS 1 MOS 13 DAYS"
      > >
      > > Anybody know what this is all about? "Ann Dillard" is Sarah Ann
      > > Larkin Dillard, eldest daughter of David Larkin of Larkinsville, and her
      > > stone is right next to his. They had five daughters. The HUNSTVILLE
      > > ADVOCATE, reporting on David Larkin's death, notes that "Mr E.H. DILLARD,
      > > his son-in-law, died at about the same time..." (In fact, he died the
      > > day before.)
      > >
      > > So what's up with this "consort" business? Anyone know?
      > >
      > > Secondly, can anyone identify "F.O. HURT" who is also buried at
      > > Blue Springs? His dates are 5-21-1855 to 10-17-1928. He married
      > > "Mamie Larkin" (5-21-1865 to 7-9-1908) and I don't have her in any
      > > of my Larkin families. So, does anyone know who these folks are?
      > >
      > > Look for some Larkin related photos and other goodies to be uploaded
      > > to the site soon.
      > >
      > > Glory to God,
      > >
      > > David Malbuff
      > > Strasburg, Virginia

    • jackman_0645
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 10, 2009
        That could be true as well. I know that it has been used to describe concubines in Japan and Europe for many years. For this purpose I would believe your probably right.
        John L Hamilton

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "nettiebau1952" <abradford@...> wrote:

        > I don't believe that is correct. This is what the dictionary of genealogy says:
        >
        > Consort
        > Consort applies to the spouse who died first, and is generally used to refer to the wife. When called "the consort of John Smith," it means that Mrs. Smith died first and that Mr. Smith then became a widower -- the Relict.
        >
        > The word consort is the opposite of the word relict in the sense that a marriage is a consortium of husband and wife, hence each is a consort only while the union survives. The survivor of the marriage becomes the relict of that union.
        >
        > http://www.eogen.com/Consort
        >
        > Annette Bradford
        >
        > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "jackman_0645" <hkatherinejohn@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Consort I believe means they were in a relationship with out the benifit of marriage.
        > > John L Hamilton
        > >
        > > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Malbuff" <malbuff@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I have a couple of confusing items here.
        > > >
        > > > On his gravestone at Blue Springs cemetery, Edward H Dillard's
        > > > inscription reads: "E.H., CONSORT OF ANN DILLARD,
        > > > AGED 32 YEARS 1 MOS 13 DAYS"
        > > >
        > > > Anybody know what this is all about? "Ann Dillard" is Sarah Ann
        > > > Larkin Dillard, eldest daughter of David Larkin of Larkinsville, and her
        > > > stone is right next to his. They had five daughters. The HUNSTVILLE
        > > > ADVOCATE, reporting on David Larkin's death, notes that "Mr E.H. DILLARD,
        > > > his son-in-law, died at about the same time..." (In fact, he died the
        > > > day before.)
        > > >
        > > > So what's up with this "consort" business? Anyone know?
        > > >
        > > > Secondly, can anyone identify "F.O. HURT" who is also buried at
        > > > Blue Springs? His dates are 5-21-1855 to 10-17-1928. He married
        > > > "Mamie Larkin" (5-21-1865 to 7-9-1908) and I don't have her in any
        > > > of my Larkin families. So, does anyone know who these folks are?
        > > >
        > > > Look for some Larkin related photos and other goodies to be uploaded
        > > > to the site soon.
        > > >
        > > > Glory to God,
        > > >
        > > > David Malbuff
        > > > Strasburg, Virginia

      • Clay Gullatt
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 10, 2009
          In old wills and obits you will often see the wife referred to as the "relict" of the husband.

          Consort today to some has a different meaning than in the Victorian Age and earlier when it referred to a wife. Both Queen Victoria's husband Prince Albert and Queen Elizibeth's husbanc Prince Phillip are referred to as Prince Consort to the Queen.

          Clay

        • clswagler@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 10, 2009
            Mamie Larkin was the daughter of William Rutledge Hurt and Frances Elizabeth Higgins.

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 10, 2009
              When we lived in Frankfort, Ky. There was this huge cemetery that I loved to
              visit. There were many war graves there as well as many children that died
              of some kind of epidemic . There was also buckeye trees. What I found most
              odd was a man being buried and having his consort (wife) on one side and his
              concubine (mistress) on the other side of him.

            • Karl Plenge
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 10, 2009
                > What I found most odd was a man being buried and having his consort (wife) on one side and his concubine (mistress) on the other side of him.

                I'm going to guess that the wife died FIRST, and the mistress's information was added later!

              • ruthhuffine
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 10, 2009
                  --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Malbuff" <malbuff@...> wrote:

                  > I have a couple of confusing items here.
                  >
                  > On his gravestone at Blue Springs cemetery, Edward H Dillard's
                  > inscription reads: "E.H., CONSORT OF ANN DILLARD,
                  > AGED 32 YEARS 1 MOS 13 DAYS"
                  >
                  > Anybody know what this is all about? "Ann Dillard" is Sarah Ann
                  > Larkin Dillard, eldest daughter of David Larkin of Larkinsville, and
                  her
                  > stone is right next to his. They had five daughters. The HUNSTVILLE
                  > ADVOCATE, reporting on David Larkin's death, notes that "Mr E.H.
                  DILLARD,
                  > his son-in-law, died at about the same time..." (In fact, he died the
                  > day before.)
                  >
                  > So what's up with this "consort" business? Anyone know?
                  >
                  > Secondly, can anyone identify "F.O. HURT" who is also buried at
                  > Blue Springs? His dates are 5-21-1855 to 10-17-1928. He married
                  > "Mamie Larkin" (5-21-1865 to 7-9-1908) and I don't have her in any
                  > of my Larkin families. So, does anyone know who these folks are?
                  >
                  > Look for some Larkin related photos and other goodies to be uploaded
                  > to the site soon.
                  >
                  > Glory to God,
                  >
                  > David Malbuff
                  > Strasburg, Virginia

                • elevans1
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 10, 2009
                    WOW! Thank you! I have been looking at some church records of deaths in Europe, and I've seen something in Latin like "vidua relicta" and I understood vidua to be a widow, but I didn't know what the relicta part was all about.

                    --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "nettiebau1952" <abradford@...> wrote:

                    > I don't believe that is correct. This is what the dictionary of genealogy says:
                    >
                    > Consort
                    > Consort applies to the spouse who died first, and is generally used to refer to the wife. When called "the consort of John Smith," it means that Mrs. Smith died first and that Mr. Smith then became a widower -- the Relict.
                    >
                    > The word consort is the opposite of the word relict in the sense that a marriage is a consortium of husband and wife, hence each is a consort only while the union survives. The survivor of the marriage becomes the relict of that union.
                    >
                    > http://www.eogen.com/Consort
                    >
                    > Annette Bradford

                  • jackman_0645
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 10, 2009
                      That is a fine explanation as well and educating, when I was in Japan I went to a museum I was visiting and they described a replica of a lady and it was life size as a consort to a ruler.This was in the 1600 period. I believe it was italy also where they described a consort as a concubine as well. My one trip to England was just 3 days long and I was briefing our military counter parts in some new hardware but was treated very well I remember. They would not allow me to pay for anything. I also know there military was not paid as well as ours which was not a lot and that was very genereous of them.
                      John L Hamilton
                      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                      > In old wills and obits you will often see the wife referred to as the "relict" of the husband.
                      >
                      > Consort today to some has a different meaning than in the Victorian Age and earlier when it referred to a wife. Both Queen Victoria's husband Prince Albert and Queen Elizibeth's husbanc Prince Phillip are referred to as Prince Consort to the Queen.
                      >
                      > Clay

                    • Malbuff
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 10, 2009
                        Thank you. Their gravesites are clustered together. It makes sense.

                        Do you know whether her given name was Mary?

                        Glory to God,

                        David Malbuff
                        Strasburg, Virginia

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 11, 2009
                          David - I am not sure if her given name was Mary. I found this information in a cemetery index.

                          Cindy

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 11, 2009
                            Regina,
                            There is a large cemetery in Macon. Most of the graves are very old. The husband's grave was in the middle (some of the largest and most elaborate monuments I have seen) and the consort on one side, with the mistress on the other side. I was shocked, couldn't believe my eyes. Was this normal for plantation owners? I also wondered if the mistress was a slave? As large as the monuments were, some one had money, I suppose.

                            Sorry if I got off the subject of Jackson County.

                            Elaine Tinsley

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 11, 2009
                              David

                              From the census it would seen that this is Mary H. Larkin and Frederick Obediah Hurt, they married after the 1900 Census. Mary H. Larkin is listed with her younger brother William R. Larkin and her mother Francis E.. Fredrerick O. is listed with his brother William. Both listed as Single on the 1900, Frederick is listed as Wd on the 1910 and 1920. Both Mary and Obediah are listed on the 1880 census with their parents. Mary with her parents on the 1870 listed as Larkins and Obediah Hurt in 1870 living in the household of John W. and Mary Ellis, he is listed as 16 Clerk in Store b. TN.

                              Someone would have to lookup their marriage at the courthouse as the marriage index only goes to 1900/1901.

                              Can't say this is right until you see the marriage certificate.

                              Clay

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 11, 2009
                                This inscription means:
                                "Mr. E.H., Dillard, who was 32 years, 1 mos, 13 days, (when he died)
                                consort of Ann Dillard (who is still alive)

                                Consort meaning his spouse is STILL ALIVE
                                If the obit had said RELICT it would have meant his spouse was DECEASED

                                It has nothing to do with his children.

                                Jewel

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 12, 2009
                                  Thank you, Clay. I had never been able to find W.R. Larkin and family in
                                  the 1870 census. Should have checked the variant spellings! (Duhhhhh!)

                                  To give you all an idea of the war's impact on 'Old Jackson'. In 1860, WRL's
                                  property was valued at over $60,000. By 1870 it was $1,500 real and $6,000
                                  personal, most of that probably mercantile goods. Cotton and slaves all gone.

                                  Glory to God,

                                  David Malbuff
                                  Strasburg, Virginia

                                  David