Sizemore/Pruitt/Stevens/Denson/Blackwood

  • Evelyn Leslie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2009
      Hello list members,

      We have an elusive family member whose last years are somewhat a mystery.
      William Radford Sizemore was born about 1879 in Talladega, AL. He married
      first a Tutie Newson in Talladega Co., then married Lillie Pruitt and had 5
      children with her. He left Lillie and the children in Texas after a number
      of years and returned to Alabama, where we found him on the 1930 census in
      Jefferson Co., AL, Whiteoak Springs, at age 52 with wife, Posey. Family
      stories say this was Posey or Possy Stevens from Scottsboro, Jackson Co.
      Also listed in the household is Louise Denson, age 24, stepdaughter,
      divorced, and step-grandson James C. Denson age 5.

      We located a death certificate which we feel certain is William Radford
      Sizemore's. His name is given on the DC as William Noah Sizemore, which is
      his father's name. The informant on the DC was W. M. Sizemore who gave
      William's bp as Montgomery, AL, occupation lumber man in the sawmilling
      industry, mother as Lizzie Conville of Childersburg, AL. All of this is
      correct except the bp on the death certificate. He died at the home of his
      brother, Walter Sizemore, in Scottsboro area, who was apparently the
      informant, but did not mention any wife except Lillie Pruitt Sizemore,
      mother of William's children, and who also gave his name wrong; however,
      Walter was some 13 years younger than his brother Radford, so that's not too
      surprising.

      Funeral arrangements were handled by Rudder Funeral Home, Stevenson, AL and
      we are presently trying to locate exactly where he was interred.

      I apologize for a lengthy (first) post, but if anyone has any information on
      Sizemore, Stevens, Denson and (another name mentioned) Blackwood in
      Scottsboro, I would appreciate hearing from you. If you prefer to contact
      me direct, my email is esleslie@...

      Thanks!

      Evelyn S. Leslie