Re: Rouse Cemetery

  • Richard Matthews
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
      > From: MaryWinn@...
      >
      > Richard,
      > I don't find any Rouses in Paint Rock Valley Pioneers that match yours.
      > marywinn@...

      Not being critical of any of our local history books, but there are tons of
      information that is not included in them about many of our local families.
      We are lucky to have had the dedicated writers who have given what we do
      have though.

      My 2nd great grand dad's (James) oldest brother John Thomas Mathews was one
      of the early settlers of the upper end of the Hurricane Creek area of Paint
      Rock Valley. His wife was Elizabeth Sanders. Their youngest daughter,
      Amanda, married Jesse Rouse, one of the Paint Rock valley Rouse boys. John
      and Elizabeth moved on to Johnson County, Arkansas after the War between the
      States. Some of his children moved on with him. John was born in Big Coon,
      just up and over the mountain there at Hytop down in Matthews Cove. He died
      in Arkansas in 1871 and his wife and some children moved back. to Jackson
      County. Amanda married after their return.

      Richard
    • MaryWinn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 13, 1999
        Hello Richard, your point is well taken; however, Paint Rock Valley Pioneers
        is only a cemetery listing. There are no biographies, etc., just some
        comment on a few of the people that the writers knew. It also doesn't give
        info about the people I am searching who have been there since very early
        times. I'm located down here in Florida away from being able to research
        things in those counties, and have only the Paint Rock Valley Pioneers book
        as a research tool other than the internet. When a name comes over the list,
        as a courtesy, I check the book. This list has been wonderful on info that I
        have used, and I want to give back when I can.
        Regards
        marywinn@...
      • Richard Matthews
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 13, 1999
          Hello Mary,

          Your input is very much appreciated too. I don't have ready access to the
          Paint Rock Pioneers book and I am sure many others don't either, so your
          input is valuable.

          Everyone researching Jackson County can benefit greatly from active
          participation on the discussion group . . . . . . . . . plus, it's a lot of
          fun and you meet so many nice folks like you.

          Richard