ROBERT JOHNSON FAMILY OF JACKSON CO., AL

  • macatjax
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2009
      Robert Johnson (1809-1889)married 1837
      #1 Sarah Purnell (Steely) widow

      Their children: Thomas S. (died young in MS), Margaret Angeline (Thomas Wright), Cornelius Henson (Mary Ann Hilliard, no children), ***Robert Hope Hull (**Amanda Jane Dudley), Montford Townsend (Jerusah Gullatt), and *Mary E. (James R. Steeley),

      #2 Mary Proctor (#1 ? Dudley, #2 Eli Kitchens)

      Their children: Henrietta "Etta" (Allison Darwin), Susan Allison (died young), and Sidney M. (Flora Smith)

      The following children have descendants still living in Jackson Co.: Margaret and Thomas Wright, Hope and Amanda Johnson, Montford T. and Jerusah Johnson, *Mary E. and James R. Steeley, Sidney and Flora Johnson. Most of these are buried in the Hurt Cem. Sidney and Flora are in Old Baptist, Steeleys in Cedar Hill. I know nothing of Etta and Allison Darwin except they are Hurt with several children who died young. Don't know if any descendants left in Jackson Co.

      In fact, I think that many of these folks are in the Hurt Cem. without tombstones. There are many graves there marked only by "rocks".

      *They were first cousins, James P. and Mary Ann (Johnson) Steeley had at least 15 children. They are in Cedar Hill.

      **Amanda Jane Dudley was the daughter of Mary Proctor and ? Dudley, Mary Proctor and Eli Kitchens' daughter, Mary Ann married Jefferson Gullatt.

      ***Hope and Amanda Johnson's children: SARAH , Henrietta, William, Cintha, Thomas, Calvin and Margaret. There are 2 sons listed on the side of her tombstone who died in 1877, I think in a fire, but I cannot say who they were, only initials. I know nothing of Henrietta, Wm., Thomas or Margaret. Calvin stayed in Jackson Co. and has descendants.

      The folling information came from a descendant in TX: SARAH Elizabeth Johnson (1862-1916) married John Coleman Stevens in 1885. He was the son of Wm. and Mary Ann (Kitchens) Johnson. Wm. and Mary A. named their first dau., Amanda. Mary Ann (1832-1900) moved to TX with Sarah and John Stevens in 1888. (Very confusing).

      I would like to "fill in the blanks" if anyone knows anything further about these families. Also, the tombstones of the Johnson family in the Hurt Cem. are now in bad condition. Wish someone cared about cleaning them. Robert's has been broken for years. Someone copied this cemetery for the Proctor Collection years ago and made a mistake. The box tomb is not him, it is probably Henrietta Townsend Johnson who died in 1856.

      I have just about finished the Johnson family and they go back to Scotland. The Johnstons of Caskieben, Aberdeenshire. There is a painting of my 8th G-G-F, Arthur Johnston, in Marischel College.

      Marymac Johnson

      Note about Sarah Purnell Steely (widow of Benjamin). She had two children by Benj.: Adam (died young) and Benjamin. Notice the difference in spelling of the name. She is not directly related to the Steeley's in Jackson Co. I worked in industrial sales and had customers all over the U.S. One of the sawmills was in Huntsville, TX. and called Steely Lumber Co. As I was taking an order from the owner, I could not pass up asking about his family. He told me that his G-G-F Benjamin Steely had moved from MS to TX and started this sawmill. I told him that his 2nd G-G-M Sarah was married secondly to Robert Johnson, brother of my Michael. I sent him Sarah's Bible Records. He forwarded them to his cousin who is the family researcher and I was in contact with him for a long time. Don't know if he is still with us. Also, about 15 years ago, I was contacted by Billie C. Steeley (James) of Irving, TX. She had found a query of mine in the Dallas library and wrote to me. She sent me 20 yrs of research on the Steeley family. Some years before, they had come to visit Jackson Co. Unfortunately, she is also no longer with us.