TRIP TO VIRGINIA COURTHOUSES

  • macatjax
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2009
      In May, my daughter who lives in SC and I made a short trip to the S. S. of VA. We visited Courthouses in Lunenburg Co., Charlotte Co. and Southampton Co., VA. Didn't find anything new except in Southampton Co. regarding my Washington Family. I found information on mine that I did not have and, in fact, had never seen anywhere.

      So, a word of caution, don't think that you can find everything about your families on the internet. You may still need to make trips to libraries and courthouses. Not everything has been published. In fact, someone was photographing the Southampton original court documents while we were there probably preparing to extract and publish.

      The courthouse in Lunenburg Co. (Johnson and Townsend Families) was built in 1827 and the front part is original. The guard took us up to what was the original courtroom with the old floors and benches. The courthouse in Charlotte Co. was built in 1823. They are both lovely old brick. My families did not leave VA until about 1827, so it's quite possible that they conducted business there before they left VA. Southampton is not as old, but we did handle the original books.

      It was an interesting trip, now all I need is a trip to courthouses in MS!

      Marymac Johnson

      P.S. I made a trip to Jackson Co. the first week in May and visited for a week. Made a trip to see the restoration of the Townsend Cemetery in Hazel Green. It's beautiful now.