Re: [jacksongenealogy] Thomas/Payne/Cluck/Jones/Hornbeak

  • cagle8185@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 24, 2009
      I went to school at Bridgeport 1951 to 1956 and knew Thomas and Payne boys at school. Payne Bro. had a store at the corner of the road that came from the Mount Carmel and Doran Cove. I moved back to Bridgeport in 1963 and lived there for a short time but my parents lived there until 1970. Names I remember were Roy Hugh Thomas Sr. and Jr., Carl Thomas (ran a beer joint across the state line in Tennessee, called the "Rock Castle").

      Carl Thomas was married to "Coonie" and "Mammie" Runyan's daughter.?Carl had a rough reputation, carried a gun and like to gamble. I saw him pull his gun on a man, at the Rock Castle, when the man accused him of cheating in a game of high card draw. The story goes that Carl was playing cards at "Puter" Garner's place, in Orme, and was accused of cheating in a poker game. Carl raked in the?pot and pulled his gun, put the money in his pocket and left. Carl was never seen again after that night.

      In those days you did not go to Orme unless you had a reason and you did not mess with "Puter" Garner. If you came out of Orme after dark, you would be stopped by the law and ask what your business was in Doren Cove.

      Another Thomas ran the only Taxi in town and I think his name was Jim. He was Roy Sr. brother. He killed a man that he said tried to rob him. He said it was self defense but the judge did not understand why he shot him six times.

      There was a Payne they called "Puddin". I never knew his real name but he was a good baseball pitcher and played some pro ball.

      I am sure this is your group because they all seem to be "cuzzin".

      Bill Cagle

      From: jrytrplt@... <jrytrplt@...>
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 7:44 AM

      Jean:? I've read your email again and I offer the following.

      You say that your ancestors came to Jackson Co from Marion Co.? Actually it is all the same place.? Doran's Cove is a cove that runs north and south for several miles.? The head of the cove is in Marion County, TN and includes Orme, TN.? The foot of the cove is in Jackson Co, AL.? But physically all one place.? Cluck Cove is partially in TN, partially in AL.? Payne hollow is in AL.? The Thomases, the Paynes, the Clucks, the Raulstons, etc lived at different times in both states but still in Doran's Cove.

      I have some confidence that Joseph Thomas had no native american blood but I have never been able to trace the origin of Ruhama of SC.

      I'm not aware of NA blood in the Paynes.

      I'm only vaguely aware of the history of the Clucks.? And after awhile they seemed to have disappeared from Doran's Cove.

      Reservations were granted to NA families in the general area.? John (or James) Woods was granted one right on the state line where Cluck Cove and Payne Hollow is today.? I believe that James Doran married Wood's daughter and the land eventually passed to him.? As before, the Dorans eventually left the cove.

      There is a Johnson reservation in the cove but I have never been able to learn anything about Johnson's reservation or (another feature) Cooper's Mill.

      In another close by area, reservations were granted to three (?) Jonses.? The Jones were thought to be related but not sure.? Probably brothers or cousins.? NA but I don't know their ancestry.

      If you are familiar with topo maps, get a copy of the Doran's Cove Quad, AL/TN.? The features I just mentioned are shown.

      Happy hunting.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 24, 2009
        i am part of this line. i have been unable to fi
        nd a connection & have very little on cluck side. i am at a math workshop, away from a computer. email me at nsiler504@.... nancy

        ----------
        This AOL Mail was sent from AT&T's Wireless network using Mobile Email

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 25, 2009
          You say you are from this line, also.  How are you related?  My father was Robert Edward Hornbeak, grandfather Robert Elijah Hornbeak (grandmother Niagara Payne Hornbeak), greatgrandfather James Payne (greatgrandmother Ruhama Thomas Payne), greatgreatgrandfather Thomas Payne (greatgreatgrandmother Elizabeth Cluck) on the paternal side and greatgreatgrandfather Archibald Thomas (greatgreatgrandmother Margaret Ellen Jones) on the maternal side.  Let me know what you have.  Jean

          i am part of this line. i have been unable to fi
          nd a connection & have very little on cluck side. i am at a math workshop, away from a computer. email me at nsiler504@aol. com. nancy

          ----------

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 25, 2009
            This is interesting.  There are a lot of times that I wish we had gone back to Bridgeport to live.  Of course, Daddy's work took him numerous places.  That is part of life.  But I appreciate any information I can get.  Thanks.  Jean

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 25, 2009
              I forgot last night to say that Puddin lives in Bridgeport; his real name
              is Paul. The family always called him Buddy. I attend church with one of
              his first cousins. He retired from the railroad several years ago and has
              recently had health issues. His wife taught kindergarten at the Church of
              Christ in Bridgeport.

              Nancy
              **************Shop Popular Dell Laptops now starting at $349!
              (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222031056x1201446063/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.dou
              bleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215910283%3B38350812%3Ba)