TN Marriages and Other Records

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2009
      Ron

      I thought I would post this to the group since so many in our group have TN roots.

      Most TN counties do not have marriages before 1861 on line, the earliest I found for Sevier Co. was 1859. You can send an email to the TN State Lib. at reference.tsla@... giving the name of the groom or bride, approximate year of marriage and county were it occurred. Send only one email search request at a time. They will check the Index and send a reply email at no charge if a listing is found. I did notice that a lot of other records were available but it looks like they charge for everything they send by mail. The TN State Lib. website is worth a visit just to see what all they have. Look for Genealogical Services Available by Mail then County Records.

      Some TN counties do have older marriage records on line at ancestry.com, Jefferson Co. for one where Isaac and Jemima Clark were married in 1812 but it looks to me as if someone copied the marriage bonds into a record book and did not always get it right as they have Jemima's last name as Webb not Welsh as shown on the actual marriage bond. Cousin Karen Tester has a copy of that bond.

      If they were married only in an Indian ceremony as many were there would be no record.