Re: [jacksongenealogy] More photos of BB Comer Bridge

  • Sam
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 20, 2009
      I hope someone can identify the men in the photos I posted of the BB Comer Bridge.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 20, 2009
        Mildred,

        Thank you so much for adding all the pictures you have added to Jackson
        County genealogy web site. You and we are so lucky you have these. I wish
        more people would add their old pictures. I am sure Boots POTTER had made
        many pictures in Jackson County if we only knew where they were and also
        Leroy GIST must have many. Hopefully more people will add their photos as
        it helps us all.

        Regina

        I have added 4 more photos of workers, one of the bridge.

        06:15:00

      • David Larsen
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 22, 2009
          I am looking for obituaries for my great-grandmother and my
          great-great-grandmother. I ordered microfilm of the Progressive Age from
          the Alabama Department of Archives and History using interlibrary loan, but
          I found that this newspaper did not run obituaries very often. Do you know
          of a better source for Jackson County obituaries?

          If it helps in making recommendations, here is some information about my
          ancestors:

          Name: Carrie (KEETON) GOLDEN
          Birth: Jun 1883 Meigs County, TN
          Death: 22 Jun 1961 Section, Jackson County, AL
          Burial: New Canaan Independent Baptist Church Cemetery, Jackson County, AL
          Father: Ambers N. KEETON
          Mother: Martha J. HUGHES
          Husband: William Barlow GOLDEN
          Marriage: 25 Feb 1900 Jackson County, AL

          Wife: Martha J. (HUGHES) KEETON
          Birth: 7 Dec 1858 Kansas
          Death: 5 Jul 1943 Jackson County, AL
          Burial: Mt. Zion Cemetery, Jackson County, AL
          Father: Ransom HUGHES
          Husband: Ambers N. KEETON
          Marriage: abt 1878

          Thanks in advance for whatever suggestions you can provide. If anyone is
          researching these lines, I'd love to share information with you.

          Gratefully,

          David Larsen
        • Karl Plenge
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 22, 2009
            > I found that this newspaper did not run obituaries very often.

            My experience has been that most newspapers did not run obits for everyone until into the 1900's. The only people whose deaths were noted before that were important figures whose deaths would be covered with a news article.

          • jrytrplt@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 22, 2009
              David:? You may know a good bit about this area already, so forgive me if I am telling you too much.

              I have had success looking in the Hamilton County,?Chattanooga TN Bicentennial Library.? They seem to have a very good genea section.? It is my understanding that the Chatt Times began publication in 1883 and I believe the lib has "all of the rolls of mfilm".? I recently learned that they have a bound written index to the obits.? I have not used the index yet.

              I have had fair success finding people that died in Jackson County.

              The library may even do limited lookups but I do not know that for sure.

              The main number is Bicentennial Library, 423-757-5310, ask for Local History Department.

              Happy hunting.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 22, 2009
                Was it because those obits had to be paid for? Most newspapers charged for obits back then as they do now.

                Jewel

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 22, 2009
                  > Was it because those obits had to be paid for? Most newspapers charged for obits back then as they do now.

                  I don't know. I have done the most extensive research in Charleston, SC, and my recollection is that there just weren't any obits back past a certain point. When a notable in the community died, they would do a news article on the death.

                • Cindy Smith
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 22, 2009
                    The Southern Christian Advocate has been a good source for me.

                    Wofford College has a searchable index here: http://www.wofford.edu/sandorteszlerlibrary/archives/archiveobituary.aspx

                    There are a lot of Nicholsons and Wolfs in their list; both families were in Jackson and DeKalb area in the 1800's.

                    Cindy
                    To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 22, 2009
                      Jewel,

                      That may turn out to be the issue. However, I only saw deaths reported
                      occasionally in the Progressive Age, and only then as news items. There
                      didn't seem to be an obituaries section in this newspaper. I'm wondering if
                      there are back runs of a different Jackson County newspaper I should be
                      checking. The only Jackson County newspaper available on microfilm from the
                      Alabama Archives for 1943 and 1961 is the Progressive Age. I live in
                      Illinois, so I'm trying to do my research remotely, but it would help if I
                      knew where best to look.

                      Thanks,

                      David

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 22, 2009
                        Karly,

                        You're right that the deaths included in the Progressive Age were run as
                        occasional news articles. Unfortunately, there was no obituary section for
                        the dates I consulted in this newspaper. I guess even in the 1900s (in my
                        case in 1943 and 1961) some newspapers only ran news articles.

                        Thanks,

                        David

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 22, 2009
                          > Wofford College has a searchable index here: http://www.wofford.edu/sandorteszlerlibrary/archives/archiveobituary.aspx

                          Thank you for posting this. Someone once told me that Wofford had a very good Methodist historian on staff, but unfortunately I never followed it up. If I find his name, I will post that here.

                        • David Larsen
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 22, 2009
                            Cindy,

                            Although my ancestors weren't listed in the Advocate, this is a good
                            resource to know about.

                            Thanks,

                            David

                            The Southern Christian Advocate has been a good source for me.

                            Wofford College has a searchable index here:
                            http://www.wofford.edu/sandorteszlerlibrary/archives/archiveobituary.aspx

                            There are a lot of Nicholsons and Wolfs in their list; both families were in
                            Jackson and DeKalb area in the 1800's.

                            Cindy
                            To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                            <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>