Re: Rouse Cemetery

  • Richard Matthews
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
      Hello Mike,

      I have never been to the Rouse Cemetery, but the information that I have
      says it is off the right side of the main road (Al 65) that runs from US hwy
      72 up Paint Rock Valley ,on Co Rd 12, about 10 miles from the 72
      intersection. That is in the Hollytree community out near the Williams Cove
      Church.

      Some of these old cemeteries are difficult to locate without local
      knowledge.

      There is a James Edward Rouse (he is about 65 years old) who lives in the
      valley married to a Mavis Ellen Roberts

      He may know about the Rouses of that area.

      Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Rouse Cemetery

      > From: "Mike Cummons" <cummons@...>
      >
      > Richard,
      >
      > Thanks so much for the response. I was surprised to see Rouse Cemetery.
      > think I've downloaded your family tree from your Matthews web page---I did
      > that a couple of years ago. Do you know anything about Jesse Rouse?
      >
      > Thanks again for the response
      >
      > Georgia

    • Richard Matthews
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
        > From: MaryWinn@...
        >
        > Richard,
        > I don't find any Rouses in Paint Rock Valley Pioneers that match yours.
        > marywinn@...

        Not being critical of any of our local history books, but there are tons of
        information that is not included in them about many of our local families.
        We are lucky to have had the dedicated writers who have given what we do
        have though.

        My 2nd great grand dad's (James) oldest brother John Thomas Mathews was one
        of the early settlers of the upper end of the Hurricane Creek area of Paint
        Rock Valley. His wife was Elizabeth Sanders. Their youngest daughter,
        Amanda, married Jesse Rouse, one of the Paint Rock valley Rouse boys. John
        and Elizabeth moved on to Johnson County, Arkansas after the War between the
        States. Some of his children moved on with him. John was born in Big Coon,
        just up and over the mountain there at Hytop down in Matthews Cove. He died
        in Arkansas in 1871 and his wife and some children moved back. to Jackson
        County. Amanda married after their return.

        Richard
      • MaryWinn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 13, 1999
          Hello Richard, your point is well taken; however, Paint Rock Valley Pioneers
          is only a cemetery listing. There are no biographies, etc., just some
          comment on a few of the people that the writers knew. It also doesn't give
          info about the people I am searching who have been there since very early
          times. I'm located down here in Florida away from being able to research
          things in those counties, and have only the Paint Rock Valley Pioneers book
          as a research tool other than the internet. When a name comes over the list,
          as a courtesy, I check the book. This list has been wonderful on info that I
          have used, and I want to give back when I can.
          Regards
          marywinn@...
        • Richard Matthews
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 13, 1999
            Hello Mary,

            Your input is very much appreciated too. I don't have ready access to the
            Paint Rock Pioneers book and I am sure many others don't either, so your
            input is valuable.

            Everyone researching Jackson County can benefit greatly from active
            participation on the discussion group . . . . . . . . . plus, it's a lot of
            fun and you meet so many nice folks like you.

            Richard