Re: [jacksongenealogy] Sarah Stephens

  • Malbuff
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 6, 2009
      Yes, the Cherokee County Stephens. We have been trying to figure out
      how and where and when they fit into the puzzle. This William might
      have been a grandson of the pioneer Josiah Stephens.

      Please note "L Berry", aged 24. This was Littleberry Stephens, who fought
      in the Civil War as a teenager. His brother James P Stephens was killed at
      Chickamauga. James' wartime diary was transcribed and published by Jack
      Dickinson at Marshall Univerity. See
      www.marshall.edu/speccoll/Blake%20Inventories/StephensDiary/Specs.doc

      Until I heard from Mr Dickinson I had been unaware of any Stephens in
      Cherokee county. It certainly seems plausible that this could be the Sarah
      E Stephens in question, especially since she would have had relatives in
      Jackson county and probably visited there regularly.

      Thank you!

      Glory to God,

      David Malbuff
      Strasburg, Virginia

      .

      There is also a Sarah E Stephens of the right age on the 1870 census:

      1870 United States Federal Census > Alabama > Cherokee > Township 11 Range
      9: Ancestry Page: 8 > Farm/Visitation: 56/57: Stephens, W M W Farmer 1500
      225 GA; Little B 24 M W Farm Hand AL; Berry L 22 M W Farm Hand AL; Ann 18 F
      W House Keeping AL; Francis 16 F W AL; William J 14 M W At Home AL; Nancy 11
      F W AL; Sarah E 9 F W AL; Harbor, B 50 M W Farm Hand GA.