RE: [jacksongenealogy] Rush, Rash?

  • Mary Urban
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31 8:57 AM
      Yes, I think this particular family was Rash.

      William Anderson Rash (abt 1770 VA-abt 1860 Jackson Co. AL) married Celie
      Laxton abt 1791 in NC. Their children were

      Levi Rash (1792-1867) md to Kesiah, Gilly

      William M. Rash (abt 1795-abt 1876) md to Margaret Bean

      Elizabeth Rash (1799-1863) md to Frank Terry abt 1818 Jackson Co. AL

      Celia Rash (abt 1802) md to Samuel McCrary

      Sarah Rash (abt 1802-1856) md to a William Rash (don't know parents)

      Laxton Rash (abt 1804-1872) md to Elmira McCrary

      Mary Rash (abt 1806-1879) md to Almond McCrary

      Patent maps show:

      Levi Rash 1831 in Section 36 of Township 1 South, Range 6 East (Cave Spring
      area)

      Samuel McCrary 1831 in Section 23 of same

      William and Benjamin Rush [?] both 1831 in Section 8 and adjacent 17 of
      Township 4 South, Range 4 East

      Jesse Laxson (brother of Celia Laxton I think) also in this Township

      William Rash 1834 in Section 6 of Township 3 South, Range 7 East (a little
      northwest of Fackler)

      I was not researching Rash when I copied these maps, so there may be other
      locations for the Rash family. There may also be a Rush family that is not
      the same family, since I am not familiar with the Benjamin Rush [?] listed
      in T4S, R4E.

      Eliza B. Woodall, in The Stevenson Story, says:

      "Francis Terry from Jackson County, Tennessee, moved to Rash about 1835; his
      first wife was Elizabeth Rash, daughter of William, a first settler and
      extensive land-owner from whom the community of Rash received its name." So
      evidently he owned more land than what I have knowledge of, since I didn't
      copy the Stevenson area where Rash is located. This seems to be the William
      whose will I previously shared.

      The 1850 census shows Rash families in Township 3 Range 5, including the
      elderly William. It also shows Rush families in District 21, for which I
      don't know the Township and Range.

      In 1840 there are both Rash and Rush entries; in 1830 there was only Rush
      entries in Jackson Co., but some of them I believe to be Rash, such as Lscan
      [Laxton] and Levi and one or two of the Williams.

      The material on WorldConnect submitted by Philip R. Brown gives info about a
      Rush family of Jackson Co. AL., so my conclusion is that there were two
      families there early: one Rush and one Rash.

      Mary U.

      From: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>