Re: [jacksongenealogy] Kirbys and Finneys and Parks-- oh, my!

  • Malbuff
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30 7:22 PM
      Let's see. Mary Jane Kirby was likely a granddaughter of Joseph L Kirby
      (b. 1767), a native of Virginia who moved to Blount county, Tenn., and then
      to Jackson county, Alabama. Joseph L Kirby married Elizabeth (Eliza)
      Freeman, who was from North Carolina. I have a marriage date of August
      11, 1791, in Surry county, N.C., for this couple.

      Joseph L Kirby and wife had 11 children. One daughter, Lucinda Ann Kirby,
      narried William Delaney Parks, son of John Parks, who was also from
      Blount county, Tenn. To further muddy the mix, William's half-sister
      Ruth Brown Parks also married a Kirby.

      Lewis Kirby (b. 1794) was another child of Joseph L Kirby, so there is that
      connection. I have traced the Kirbys back to a Richard Kirby in colonial
      times in Southampton county, Virginia.

      I have an interest in the Kirbys because a son of Lucinda Kirby Parks
      married into our Larkin family. (This was the younger John Parks, who
      became mayor of Scottsboro.) Also, another son of Lucinda Kirby Parks
      was named Hugh Lawson Parks, after Hugh Lawson White, the only
      member of our family ever to run for President. I figure this means the
      Kirbys (and perhaps the Parks) tie into my McClung and White family
      lines back in Blount county in the early days of Tennessee. Or perhaps
      it's North Carolina-- Surry county is near Iredell county, from whence
      came General James White and family.

      Glory to God,

      David Malbuff
      Strasburg, Virginia

      Hi, Mary Lou:

      As I have a large Kirby database, I thought resolving your query would
      be easy, but I was wrong. I have Edwin McWhorter Kirby in my
      database, and his parents were Lewis and Sarah (Sally) Kirby. I find
      Edwin (1823-1897) had a sister (given name unknown) who may be the
      elusive Mary Jane (Eliza) Kirby. Her dates were c 1825-bef 1853. And
      Lewis also had a mother named Eliza.Freeman

      Martha J. Evans m(1) Robert C. Parks and m(2) Jonathan Finney. My
      wife is descended from both the Kirbys and the Parks in Jackson Co.,
      AL -- the reason for my interest. I know little about the Finney
      line.

      I hope these comments may be of some use.

      Happy genealogy.

      Bob in Atlanta

      Robert S. (Bob) Duggan, Jr.
      r.duggan@...
      (home page) http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/d/rduggan2/
      (genealogy) http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~duggan/
      ----------------Original
      Post------------------------------------------
      4. >Kirbys & Finneys
      >Posted by: "Mary Lou Stone" maryloustone@...
      >maryloustone@...
      >Fri May 29, 2009 2:14 pm (PDT)
      >I am looking for info on Jonathan Floyd Finney,b.1822 TN d.1884
      >Jackson Co.AL and wife, Mary Jane Kirby,b. 1826 d. 1858 Jackson Co.
      >listed on the 1850 and 1860 Alabama census with children John Wiley,
      >James Monroe(my ggrandfather),Silas,and Elizabeth. Jonathan and Mary
      >Jane are my gggrandparents. I don't know anything about the Kirby
      >family. They are listed on the 1850 census after a Kirby family.
      >Edwin Mc Kirby was head of the household. I just wonder if this was
      >Mary Jane's brother. Does anyone have any info on this family? I
      >also am looking for more info on Jonathan Floyd Finney remarried
      >1869?, Martha Parks. I have land records of Jonathan and Alexander
      >Finney who died sometime in the 1860s. I haven't been able to make a
      >connection with Jonathan and Alexander but land records put them
      >living near each other. I also have document that says he was
      >administrator of Alexander's will. If anyone has any information on
      >these
      families please contact me. Thanks Mary Lou Finney Stone

      Back to top Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via

    • Christopher Villarreal
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2009
        Ok, I was wondering about the various lines of Kirby's.  I am related to the South Carolina line of Kirby's through my ggggrand-father, Andrew Jackson White.  His mother was Ity Kirby, the daughter of Richard Kirby and Louisa (or Lovicy) Tolleson of Spartanburg, South Carolina.  Andrew and his parents later moved to Chattooga County and Cobb County, Georgia.  I can only assume that at some point there is a common descendent who first came to America.  However, I do not believe that any of these South Carolina Kirby's followed my relative to Jackson County, although there may have been some that settled in other Alabama counties after the WBTS.  I hope I didn't just confuse anyone, as I had been confused for some time searching for a link between my Kirby past and trying to connect them to the other Kirby's in Jackson County.

        Chris

        r.duggan@ieee. org