Re: Rouse Cemetery

  • MaryWinn@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
      Richard,
      I don't find any Rouses in Paint Rock Valley Pioneers that match yours.
      marywinn@...
    • Richard Matthews
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
        Hello Mike,

        I have never been to the Rouse Cemetery, but the information that I have
        says it is off the right side of the main road (Al 65) that runs from US hwy
        72 up Paint Rock Valley ,on Co Rd 12, about 10 miles from the 72
        intersection. That is in the Hollytree community out near the Williams Cove
        Church.

        Some of these old cemeteries are difficult to locate without local
        knowledge.

        There is a James Edward Rouse (he is about 65 years old) who lives in the
        valley married to a Mavis Ellen Roberts

        He may know about the Rouses of that area.

        Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Rouse Cemetery

        > From: "Mike Cummons" <cummons@...>
        >
        > Richard,
        >
        > Thanks so much for the response. I was surprised to see Rouse Cemetery.
        > think I've downloaded your family tree from your Matthews web page---I did
        > that a couple of years ago. Do you know anything about Jesse Rouse?
        >
        > Thanks again for the response
        >
        > Georgia

      • Richard Matthews
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
          > From: MaryWinn@...
          >
          > Richard,
          > I don't find any Rouses in Paint Rock Valley Pioneers that match yours.
          > marywinn@...

          Not being critical of any of our local history books, but there are tons of
          information that is not included in them about many of our local families.
          We are lucky to have had the dedicated writers who have given what we do
          have though.

          My 2nd great grand dad's (James) oldest brother John Thomas Mathews was one
          of the early settlers of the upper end of the Hurricane Creek area of Paint
          Rock Valley. His wife was Elizabeth Sanders. Their youngest daughter,
          Amanda, married Jesse Rouse, one of the Paint Rock valley Rouse boys. John
          and Elizabeth moved on to Johnson County, Arkansas after the War between the
          States. Some of his children moved on with him. John was born in Big Coon,
          just up and over the mountain there at Hytop down in Matthews Cove. He died
          in Arkansas in 1871 and his wife and some children moved back. to Jackson
          County. Amanda married after their return.

          Richard
        • MaryWinn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 13, 1999
            Hello Richard, your point is well taken; however, Paint Rock Valley Pioneers
            is only a cemetery listing. There are no biographies, etc., just some
            comment on a few of the people that the writers knew. It also doesn't give
            info about the people I am searching who have been there since very early
            times. I'm located down here in Florida away from being able to research
            things in those counties, and have only the Paint Rock Valley Pioneers book
            as a research tool other than the internet. When a name comes over the list,
            as a courtesy, I check the book. This list has been wonderful on info that I
            have used, and I want to give back when I can.
            Regards
            marywinn@...
          • Richard Matthews
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 13, 1999
              Hello Mary,

              Your input is very much appreciated too. I don't have ready access to the
              Paint Rock Pioneers book and I am sure many others don't either, so your
              input is valuable.

              Everyone researching Jackson County can benefit greatly from active
              participation on the discussion group . . . . . . . . . plus, it's a lot of
              fun and you meet so many nice folks like you.

              Richard