  • grandmother6@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 14 , May 7, 2009
      Bumps In The Road? I am there also...

      Pat
    • RON aKINS
      Message 2 of 14 , May 8, 2009
        Dear Clay,I am also getting older and having aches and pains. Sometime back you checked the land records for John Morgan,who lived at Long Island in 1880. Do the land records tell when a person moved to Jackson County? I was looking at census records and I am wondering how the same person could have been born in 3 different states?

        ________________________________
        From: grandmother6@... <grandmother6@...>
        Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Clay
        To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 8:32 PM

        Has anyone heard from Clay? He said he wasn't feeling well and some of my family suffers terrribly from the same thing. I sure hope he is better by now. Clay, you will be in my prayers until we hear from you again.

        Pat

      • Karl Plenge
        Message 3 of 14 , May 8, 2009
          > I am wondering how the same person could have been born in 3 different states?

          Just a comment on this: The census provides us with all sorts of entertaining "facts!" I have also noticed that some peoples' ages fluctuated wildly from census to census. And we won't even get into the topics of spelling, handwriting, and indexing! Also people going by their first name one time, and middle name another.

          I think some of it is the result of lazy or careless census takers, perhaps who didn't write everything down when they were in the home and figured they'd fill it in later, perhaps that night, and thought they would remember it accurately. This would allow them to squeeze more people in during the day, which I believe is what they were paid on.

          Also I think some of it probably resulted from family members being interviewed who were perhaps the only one home at the time and just had to guess on things they didn't know precisely about the other family and/or household members.

        • Mary Urban
          Message 4 of 14 , May 9, 2009
            Just had to comment on Ron's query about how a person could be born in 3
            different states.... There are two answers to that: 1) the birth locality
            might have in 3 successive jurisdictions and the respondent answered
            differently but truthfully in 3 census reports and/or 2) the respondent
            might not have known for sure-especially if another member of the family was
            answering the census-taker. I've got an ancestor who reportedly was born in
            NC, TN, SC and VA. I still am not sure which is correct, but pretty sure TN
            is not a possibility, though he lived there awhile. If the census taker
            asked "Where you'all from?" it might have elicited a different response than
            "Where were you born?" But as you can tell, not all census takers focused on
            accuracy! I think researchers, with justification, have a love/hate
            relationship with census takers....

            From: Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...

            <mailto:grandmother6%40rocketmail.com> <grandmother6@...

            From: grandmother6@... <mailto:grandmother6%40rocketmail.com>
            <grandmother6@... <mailto:grandmother6%40rocketmail.com> >
            To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 14 , May 9, 2009
              Mary gave the answer as to the different birth states. You never can tell who is answering the questions on the census you can also get a half dozen different birth dates.

              There is no way of telling exactly when someone got to a place. They could have lived there years before they patented any land or left any other record. Many people squated on the land and made improvements before patenting the land.

              John and Catherine Gullatt had a child born in Lincoln Co GA in 1815, a court case in VA said they lived in AL in 1817, John died about Aug 1824 in Jackson Co. and the inventory of his estate is in Jackson Co. Sep 1824 , twin sons were born near Bellefonte in 1820. So that is just about as close as I can get with a date, Catherine patented her first land in 1831 but land was not opened for patenting until 1830. She had probably already lived in there since 1816 or 2827.

              Clay

              ____________ _________ _________ __
              From: Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@ yahoo.com

              --- On Wed, 5/6/09, grandmother6@ rocketmail. com
              <mailto:grandmother 6%40rocketmail. com> <grandmother6@ rocketmail. com

              From: grandmother6@ rocketmail. com <mailto:grandmother 6%40rocketmail. com>
              <grandmother6@ rocketmail. com <mailto:grandmother 6%40rocketmail. com> >
              To: jacksongenealogy@ yahoogroups. com
              <mailto:jacksongene alogy%40yahoogro ups.com>

              Message 6 of 14 , May 9, 2009
                State boundaries changed during the early years and so did county boundaries
                after the states were formed. What was once Virginia might later have been
                Kentucky. What once was Georgia might later have become Alabama. Wasn't
                Virginia originally intended to reach from the east coast to the west coast?
                ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

                On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...>wrote:

                > Mary gave the answer as to the different birth states. You never can tell
                > who is answering the questions on the census you can also get a half dozen
                > different birth dates.
                >
                > There is no way of telling exactly when someone got to a place. They could
                > have lived there years before they patented any land or left any other
                > record. Many people squated on the land and made improvements before
                > patenting the land.
                >
                > John and Catherine Gullatt had a child born in Lincoln Co GA in 1815, a
                > court case in VA said they lived in AL in 1817, John died about Aug 1824 in
                > Jackson Co. and the inventory of his estate is in Jackson Co. Sep 1824 ,
                > twin sons were born near Bellefonte in 1820. So that is just about as close
                > as I can get with a date, Catherine patented her first land in 1831 but land
                > was not opened for patenting until 1830. She had probably already lived in
                > there since 1816 or 2827.
                >
                > Clay

              • Clay Gullatt
                Message 7 of 14 , May 9, 2009
                  Not only did Virginia reach the west coast it also claimed what is the mid-west OH, IN, IL and westward. North and South Carolina and GA also extended to the west coast. Those claims were given up after the Rev. War. Ga did not give up its claim of AL until in the 1800s. TN was claimed as part of NC until it became a state.

                  Then there are state lines that were straightened such as between MD and PA and between MD and DE. John Gullett was born and lived in MD woke up one morning and found that he lived in DE without moving an inch. Some of my Gullett cousins still think he moved but he didn't as proved by his land records and will.

                  And if I remember correctly wasn't the state line between TN changed between AL and GA? That is why GA is claiming it owns water rights from the Tennessee River.

                  Clay

                  State boundaries changed during the early years and so did county boundaries
                  after the states were formed. What was once Virginia might later have been
                  Kentucky. What once was Georgia might later have become Alabama. Wasn't
                  Virginia originally intended to reach from the east coast to the west coast?
                  ............ ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......... ......

                  On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@ yahoo.com>wrote:

                  > Mary gave the answer as to the different birth states. You never can tell
                  > who is answering the questions on the census you can also get a half dozen
                  > different birth dates.
                  >
                  > There is no way of telling exactly when someone got to a place. They could
                  > have lived there years before they patented any land or left any other
                  > record. Many people squated on the land and made improvements before
                  > patenting the land.
                  >
                  > John and Catherine Gullatt had a child born in Lincoln Co GA in 1815, a
                  > court case in VA said they lived in AL in 1817, John died about Aug 1824 in
                  > Jackson Co. and the inventory of his estate is in Jackson Co. Sep 1824 ,
                  > twin sons were born near Bellefonte in 1820. So that is just about as close
                  > as I can get with a date, Catherine patented her first land in 1831 but land
                  > was not opened for patenting until 1830. She had probably already lived in
                  > there since 1816 or 2827.
                  >
                  > Clay

                • jackman_0645
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 9, 2009
                    These post is one of the reasons I love this group so much there is so much kinoledge and thought that you even get a brain dead person like me thinking about those times and how things could have happened.
                    John Larry Hamilton

                    --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                    > Mary gave the answer as to the different birth states. You never can tell who is answering the questions on the census you can also get a half dozen different birth dates.
                    >
                    > There is no way of telling exactly when someone got to a place. They could have lived there years before they patented any land or left any other record. Many people squated on the land and made improvements before patenting the land.
                    >
                    > John and Catherine Gullatt had a child born in Lincoln Co GA in 1815, a court case in VA said they lived in AL in 1817, John died about Aug 1824 in Jackson Co. and the inventory of his estate is in Jackson Co. Sep 1824 , twin sons were born near Bellefonte in 1820. So that is just about as close as I can get with a date, Catherine patented her first land in 1831 but land was not opened for patenting until 1830. She had probably already lived in there since 1816 or 2827.
                    >
                    > Clay

                  • Malbuff
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 9, 2009
                      Richard asked:
                      Wasn't Virginia originally intended to reach from the east coast to the west coast?

                      Not just Virginia, but specifically Augusta county, Virginia!

                      Glory to God,

                      David Malbuff
                      Strasburg, Virginia

                    • Elaine Tinsley
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 11, 2009
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 7, 2009
                          What would everyone do with out Clay? I have watched over the years as Clay helps everyone he possibly can and is so very good at it. If we were assembled in some Hall Clay would deserve a round of applause. Grear work Clay and very unselfish.
                          John Larry Hamilton