Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Melungeon????

  • John Green
    Message 1 of 16 , May 4, 2009
      Strange paths are the norm for people coming to this country from the
      British Isles. Deportation, indentured servitude, political
      persecution and religious persecution, and even slavery caused people
      to move from the old world to the new world. The Scotch - Irish were
      among the largest groups of settlers in the new world, many of them
      coming as a result of one of the reasons mentioned above.

      My ancestors, who became Clan MacCallam, followed St. Columba from
      Ireland to Scotland in 563 AD along with other Celtic Irish who
      accompanied Duncan Campbell. Duncan united his group of Celts and the
      Picts of Scotland to become the first king of a united Scotland. From
      this time forward, my family always seems to have chosen the losing
      side in any rebellion that happened to come along. After almost 200
      years of war with the English, trying to maintain a free Scotland, in
      1603, King Charles offered land in Ireland to any Scotsman who would
      agree to move there and stop fighting the English. I don't know if my
      family went back to Ireland at this time or not. Several of our Clan
      members did make this move, but I haven't been able to research my own
      line prior to 1820. In any event these Celts whose ancestors moved
      from Ireland to Scotland are called the Scotch Irish and there are a
      LOT of us in the North Carolina mountains and surrounding areas,
      including north east Alabama.

      We do value our heritage and I am one of those folks who wears a kilt
      and attends Scottish Games around the South. My kilt was made by a
      lady in our Clan who learned the art from her Grandmother, who came
      from the old country. There are 14 yards of heavy Scotch woven wool in
      the kilt. It weights about 12 pounds.

      John McCollum Green

    • jrytrplt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , May 4, 2009
        John:? Like many of us, I assume you have plenty to read.? However, given your ancestry, I would recommend you read The Scotch Irish A Social History by James G. Leyburn.? Published by The University of North Carolina Press.

        An incredibly readable and fact filled book.

        Good luck!

> [...]

        > cent have some Native American blood. It would not be surprising to
        > find that many of us have shovel teeth and the Anatolian bump passed
        > to us by our Native American ancestors.
        > > ?
        > > Take the Gullatts for instance, though the name is French Huguenot
        > who came to MD in the 1670s, I have English, Scots, Irish, Welsh,
        > Scotch-Irish and Native American (both maternal and paternal)
        > ancestors.? When someone asks what my ancestry is I usually say Heinz
        > 57 and that is what a great many of us are.
        > > ?
        > > And remember the English, Irish?and Scots were a mixture of races
        > both native to Great Britain and those from Europe who invaded or
        > emigrated to the islands, including Germans, French, Dutch,
        > Scandinavians, Spain and just about every other county in Europe.?

      • Mary Urban
        Message 3 of 16 , May 4, 2009
          John McCollum Green, your middle name rings a bell...I have a Joseph
          McCollum in my database. Don't know who his parents were. He was born 10 Feb
          1825 in Morrow Co. OH, died 16 Jan 1903 in Harrison Co. IA. He married
          Alvira Jane Harris (she is a collateral relative in my Harris line) in
          Morrow Co. OH 7 Sep 1857; they had 11 children.

          Would you know anything about this Ohio McCollum??

          Strange paths are the norm for people coming to this country from the
          British Isles. Deportation, indentured servitude, political
          persecution and religious persecution, and even slavery caused people
          to move from the old world to the new world. The Scotch - Irish were
          among the largest groups of settlers in the new world, many of them
          coming as a result of one of the reasons mentioned above.

          My ancestors, who became Clan MacCallam, followed St. Columba from
          Ireland to Scotland in 563 AD along with other Celtic Irish who
          accompanied Duncan Campbell. Duncan united his group of Celts and the
          Picts of Scotland to become the first king of a united Scotland. From
          this time forward, my family always seems to have chosen the losing
          side in any rebellion that happened to come along. After almost 200
          years of war with the English, trying to maintain a free Scotland, in
          1603, King Charles offered land in Ireland to any Scotsman who would
          agree to move there and stop fighting the English. I don't know if my
          family went back to Ireland at this time or not. Several of our Clan
          members did make this move, but I haven't been able to research my own
          line prior to 1820. In any event these Celts whose ancestors moved
          from Ireland to Scotland are called the Scotch Irish and there are a
          LOT of us in the North Carolina mountains and surrounding areas,
          including north east Alabama.

          We do value our heritage and I am one of those folks who wears a kilt
          and attends Scottish Games around the South. My kilt was made by a
          lady in our Clan who learned the art from her Grandmother, who came
          from the old country. There are 14 yards of heavy Scotch woven wool in
          the kilt. It weights about 12 pounds.

          John McCollum Green
          On Apr 28, 2009, at 5:20 AM, jackman_0645 wrote:

          > THings work out strangely my ancestors came here as endentured
          > servants as punishment for fighting to put Stuart on the throne of
          > England. They were Scots most did not survive that harsh servitude but
          > somehow mine did and they eventually ended up in Jackson County. I am
          > now living in Blount County Tennessee, Maryville, I read a study that
          > was done here by I believe Vanderbilt University and it stated that
          > some of the purest Scottish blood was in this area. You have these
          > Scottish associations where they wear kilts to meetings and they have
          > Scottish games each year tossing logs and wrestling the same things
          > the Scots did to train for defending them selves against the English.
          > Sam Houston was from this area and the old school house where he
          > taught school is not far from my home about 2 miles.
          >
          > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com> , Clay Gullatt

        • jackman_0645
          Message 4 of 16 , May 4, 2009
            Mr. Green that was very interesting I have attended some of those games. It is a very big thing in thi9s area.
            JLH

            In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, John Green <dragonriders@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > in the SE US who can trace their ancestry back before 1800 that 70 per
            > > cent have some Native American blood. It would not be surprising to
            > > find that many of us have shovel teeth and the Anatolian bump passed
            > > to us by our Native American ancestors.
            > > >
            > > > Take the Gullatts for instance, though the name is French Huguenot
            > > who came to MD in the 1670s, I have English, Scots, Irish, Welsh,
            > > Scotch-Irish and Native American (both maternal and paternal)
            > > ancestors.  When someone asks what my ancestry is I usually say Heinz
            > > 57 and that is what a great many of us are.
            > > >
            > > > And remember the English, Irish and Scots were a mixture of races
            > > both native to Great Britain and those from Europe who invaded or
            > > emigrated to the islands, including Germans, French, Dutch,
            > > Scandinavians, Spain and just about every other county in Europe.

          • John Green
            Message 5 of 16 , May 4, 2009
              Mary,

              Not at this time. I have only traced this line back to Nancy McCollum
              in Lincoln County TN in 1820 census. I don't know who Nancy's husband
              was, but my fellow researchers and I are sure they came from NC. There
              are many branches to this family and the name has been corrupted from
              the original MacCallum to include McCollum, McCallum, McCollom, and
              even Malcomb. So far as I know, none of my direct line has an Ohio
              connection. I'll remember your offer and I am be back in touch, if I
              can find a connection.

              John