Re: [jacksongenealogy] Info needed on Willis Adkins

  • Alta Fae Brown
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2009
      WILLIS, Richard Arthur
      CWGC: WILLIS, RICHARD ARTHUR, Private (240826). 5th Bn., Yorkshire Regiment.
      [Died] Sunday, 17th September 1916. Age 22.(2666). Son of George and Mary H.
      Willis, of 75, Hilderthorpe Rd., Bridlington, Yorks.
      THIEPVAL MEMORIAL, Somme, France [Pier and Face 3 A and 3 D].
      SDitGW: WILLIS, Richard Artthur [sic], Private (240826). Alexandra, Princess
      of Wales's Own (Yorkshire Regiment), 5th Battalion. Died 17 Sep 1916, France
      & Flanders. b. [unk]; r. [unk]; e. Bridlington.
      CRoH: Willis, William Arthur, Pte, 1/5 East Yorks, 75 Hilderthorpe Road
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2009
        Thank you for this information, it makes me wonder all the more how this medal belonging to someone in France ended up in the US...I will probably never know.  I looked in England thinking he may have been from England.

        > Do you have an R. A. Willis in your data bank? The reason I ask is that
        > my husband found a WWll medal hanging on a nail on a 2x4, when he was
        > building our house in 1969, belonging to Pte. R. A. Willis. Around the
        > outside edge of the medal it has 2666 PTE R. A. Willis, York. R. I have
        > tried finding out who this person was, but, with no luck.
        > No one knew how this corroded medal came to be hanging on a nail where Sam
        > was building our house. It has always been a mystery...but, someone had
        > to hang it on that nail! I am sure some of his descendants would like to
        > have this medal.
        > Sam and Mildred

      • Mark Klan
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2009
          Sam & Mildred --

          Actually, Richard Arthur Willis was from Bridlington, Yorkshire, in
          England. He was a member of the 5th Battalion of the Yorkshire
          regiment of the British Army. He was killed in World War I,
          apparently in France.

          From the 18th century forward, the nickname of the regiment was "The
          Green Howards", based on their colors and the name of an early
          commander. This is from a website of the Green Howards Museum in
          Yorkshire, England (http://www.greenhowards.org.uk/index.php). The
          site's contact list includes an email address:
          museum@... .

          I'll bet if you send the museum an email with the info on the medal,
          including the info Alta Fae Brown provided (below), the museum would
          be able to locate a relative to whom you could send the medal. I
          imagine someone would be very grateful and proud to receive it.

          Mark

          On 4 May 2009 at 5:28, Sam wrote:
          > Thank you for this information, it makes me wonder all the more how
          > this medal belonging to someone in France ended up in the US...I will
          > probably never know.  I looked in England thinking he may have been
          > from England.

          {snip}
        • Sam
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2009
            Thank you for the information.  I will send an email and see if the medal can be united with some of his family.  I sure would like to receive something like that on my family.
            The medal is a Victory Medal which is given together with a star.
            Thanks to both of you for your help.
            Sam

            Actually, Richard Arthur Willis was from Bridlington, Yorkshire, in
            England. He was a member of the 5th Battalion of the Yorkshire
            regiment of the British Army. He was killed in World War I,
            apparently in France.

            From the 18th century forward, the nickname of the regiment was "The
            museum@greenhowards .org.uk .