RE: [jacksongenealogy] Old Baptist cemetery

  • Regina Pipes
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2009
      Mildred and all that have family in The Old Baptist cemetery in Hollywood.
      I understand that the trees have been taken care of that fell in the last
      storm. It is great that they got to them in such a fast time. It would
      have been a shame to have them fall on the stones. There still is stones
      that have had their top portion moved little on its base. When weather
      permits I hope to go up and check things out. Decoration there is the third
      weekend in May. Hope to see you all there.

    • Alta Fae Brown
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2009
        WILLIS, Richard Arthur
        CWGC: WILLIS, RICHARD ARTHUR, Private (240826). 5th Bn., Yorkshire Regiment.
        [Died] Sunday, 17th September 1916. Age 22.(2666). Son of George and Mary H.
        Willis, of 75, Hilderthorpe Rd., Bridlington, Yorks.
        THIEPVAL MEMORIAL, Somme, France [Pier and Face 3 A and 3 D].
        SDitGW: WILLIS, Richard Artthur [sic], Private (240826). Alexandra, Princess
        of Wales's Own (Yorkshire Regiment), 5th Battalion. Died 17 Sep 1916, France
        & Flanders. b. [unk]; r. [unk]; e. Bridlington.
        CRoH: Willis, William Arthur, Pte, 1/5 East Yorks, 75 Hilderthorpe Road
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2009
          Thank you for this information, it makes me wonder all the more how this medal belonging to someone in France ended up in the US...I will probably never know.  I looked in England thinking he may have been from England.

          > Do you have an R. A. Willis in your data bank? The reason I ask is that
          > my husband found a WWll medal hanging on a nail on a 2x4, when he was
          > building our house in 1969, belonging to Pte. R. A. Willis. Around the
          > outside edge of the medal it has 2666 PTE R. A. Willis, York. R. I have
          > tried finding out who this person was, but, with no luck.
          > No one knew how this corroded medal came to be hanging on a nail where Sam
          > was building our house. It has always been a mystery...but, someone had
          > to hang it on that nail! I am sure some of his descendants would like to
          > have this medal.
          > Sam and Mildred

        • Mark Klan
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2009
            Sam & Mildred --

            Actually, Richard Arthur Willis was from Bridlington, Yorkshire, in
            England. He was a member of the 5th Battalion of the Yorkshire
            regiment of the British Army. He was killed in World War I,
            apparently in France.

            From the 18th century forward, the nickname of the regiment was "The
            Green Howards", based on their colors and the name of an early
            commander. This is from a website of the Green Howards Museum in
            Yorkshire, England (http://www.greenhowards.org.uk/index.php). The
            site's contact list includes an email address:
            museum@... .

            I'll bet if you send the museum an email with the info on the medal,
            including the info Alta Fae Brown provided (below), the museum would
            be able to locate a relative to whom you could send the medal. I
            imagine someone would be very grateful and proud to receive it.

            Mark

            On 4 May 2009 at 5:28, Sam wrote:
            > Thank you for this information, it makes me wonder all the more how
            > this medal belonging to someone in France ended up in the US...I will
            > probably never know.  I looked in England thinking he may have been
            > from England.

            {snip}
          • Sam
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2009
              Thank you for the information.  I will send an email and see if the medal can be united with some of his family.  I sure would like to receive something like that on my family.
              The medal is a Victory Medal which is given together with a star.
              Thanks to both of you for your help.
              Sam

              Actually, Richard Arthur Willis was from Bridlington, Yorkshire, in
              England. He was a member of the 5th Battalion of the Yorkshire
              regiment of the British Army. He was killed in World War I,
              apparently in France.

              From the 18th century forward, the nickname of the regiment was "The
              museum@greenhowards .org.uk .