Info needed on Willis Adkins

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2009
      Clay and everyone else.
      I found this posting on the web and wondered if Clay or anyone else had any information on these families.
      (I'm interested in more info about FM Willis of Wayne Co, TN, 1860. I believe he was md 1st to Sarah Adkins in Jackson Co, AL, both prob born in JKAL, also. They are listed in 1850 FC of Maury Co, TN, with ch: Manerva (J) & Francis (M)(Jr). He evidently md 2nd to Rachel (?), who is listed with him in 1860 Wayne Co, TN, along with same two ch. Was Matlida born to FM & Rachel? Do you have any info at all on Minerva & FM,Jr, ch of Sarah Adkins? Several Adkins/Tanner/Aldridge relatives moved to Obion Co, TN area also. FM & Sarah (Adkins) Willis prob moved to Wayne Co, TN with David Tanner(listed as Turner 1850 MUTN) and Eliza (Haley) Tanner, a step-dau of Nancy Childress Haley Adkins, 3rd/4th wife of John Adkins, whose 4th/5th wife, and widow was Elizabeth Tanner, sis of David Tanner, who was also in Obion Co, TN by 1900. Do you have any info on FM Willis after 1860 Wayne Co, TN census? I have some info on several Willis fams of early JKAL, but have not been able to establish any connection with them and FM, have you? Please post follow-up in genforum if you do, or anyone else who does. Thanks Richard.)

      We have been looking for some time now trying to find the maiden name of John Colbert's wife Mrs. Sarah Willis. Wondered if this could be the right one.
      Kevin and Gina Hall
    • Sam
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2009
        Kevin, or anyone
        Do you have an R. A. Willis in your data bank? The reason I ask is that my husband found a WWll medal hanging on a nail on a 2x4, when he was building our house in 1969, belonging to Pte. R. A. Willis. Around the outside edge of the medal it has 2666 PTE R. A. Willis, York. R. I have tried finding out who this person was, but, with no luck.
        No one knew how this corroded medal came to be hanging on a nail where Sam was building our house. It has always been a mystery...but, someone had to hang it on that nail! I am sure some of his descendants would like to have this medal.
        Sam and Mildred

        > I found this posting on the web and wondered if Clay or
        > anyone else had any information on these families.
        > (I'm interested in more info about FM Willis of Wayne
        > Co, TN, 1860. I believe he was md 1st to Sarah Adkins in
        > Jackson Co, AL, both prob born in JKAL, also. They are
        > listed in 1850 FC of Maury Co, TN, with ch: Manerva (J)
        > & Francis (M)(Jr). He evidently md 2nd to Rachel (?),
        > who is listed with him in 1860 Wayne Co, TN, along with same
        > two ch. Was Matlida born to FM & Rachel? Do you have any
        > info at all on Minerva & FM,Jr, ch of Sarah Adkins?
        > Several Adkins/Tanner/Aldridge relatives moved to Obion Co,
        > TN area also. FM & Sarah (Adkins) Willis prob moved to
        > Wayne Co, TN with David Tanner(listed as Turner 1850 MUTN)
        > and Eliza (Haley) Tanner, a step-dau of Nancy Childress
        > Haley Adkins, 3rd/4th wife of John Adkins, whose 4th/5th
        > wife, and widow was Elizabeth Tanner, sis of David Tanner,
        > who was also in Obion Co, TN by 1900. Do you have any info
        > on FM Willis after 1860 Wayne Co, TN census? I have some
        > info on several Willis fams of early JKAL, but have not been
        > able to establish any connection with them and FM, have you?
        > Please post follow-up in genforum if you do, or anyone else
        > who does. Thanks Richard.)
        >
        > We have been looking for some time now trying to find the
        > maiden name of John Colbert's wife Mrs. Sarah Willis.
        > Wondered if this could be the right one.
        > Kevin and Gina Hall
      • Regina Pipes
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2009
          Mildred and all that have family in The Old Baptist cemetery in Hollywood.
          I understand that the trees have been taken care of that fell in the last
          storm. It is great that they got to them in such a fast time. It would
          have been a shame to have them fall on the stones. There still is stones
          that have had their top portion moved little on its base. When weather
          permits I hope to go up and check things out. Decoration there is the third
          weekend in May. Hope to see you all there.

        • Alta Fae Brown
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2009
            WILLIS, Richard Arthur
            CWGC: WILLIS, RICHARD ARTHUR, Private (240826). 5th Bn., Yorkshire Regiment.
            [Died] Sunday, 17th September 1916. Age 22.(2666). Son of George and Mary H.
            Willis, of 75, Hilderthorpe Rd., Bridlington, Yorks.
            THIEPVAL MEMORIAL, Somme, France [Pier and Face 3 A and 3 D].
            SDitGW: WILLIS, Richard Artthur [sic], Private (240826). Alexandra, Princess
            of Wales's Own (Yorkshire Regiment), 5th Battalion. Died 17 Sep 1916, France
            & Flanders. b. [unk]; r. [unk]; e. Bridlington.
            CRoH: Willis, William Arthur, Pte, 1/5 East Yorks, 75 Hilderthorpe Road
            > Do you have an R. A. Willis in your data bank? The reason I ask is that
            > my husband found a WWll medal hanging on a nail on a 2x4, when he was
            > building our house in 1969, belonging to Pte. R. A. Willis. Around the
            > outside edge of the medal it has 2666 PTE R. A. Willis, York. R. I have
            > tried finding out who this person was, but, with no luck.
            > No one knew how this corroded medal came to be hanging on a nail where Sam
            > was building our house. It has always been a mystery...but, someone had
            > to hang it on that nail! I am sure some of his descendants would like to
            > have this medal.
            > Sam and Mildred

          • Sam
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2009
              Thank you for this information, it makes me wonder all the more how this medal belonging to someone in France ended up in the US...I will probably never know.  I looked in England thinking he may have been from England.

              > Do you have an R. A. Willis in your data bank? The reason I ask is that
              > my husband found a WWll medal hanging on a nail on a 2x4, when he was
              > building our house in 1969, belonging to Pte. R. A. Willis. Around the
              > outside edge of the medal it has 2666 PTE R. A. Willis, York. R. I have
              > tried finding out who this person was, but, with no luck.
              > No one knew how this corroded medal came to be hanging on a nail where Sam
              > was building our house. It has always been a mystery...but, someone had
              > to hang it on that nail! I am sure some of his descendants would like to
              > have this medal.
              > Sam and Mildred

            • Mark Klan
              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2009
                Sam & Mildred --

                Actually, Richard Arthur Willis was from Bridlington, Yorkshire, in
                England. He was a member of the 5th Battalion of the Yorkshire
                regiment of the British Army. He was killed in World War I,
                apparently in France.

                From the 18th century forward, the nickname of the regiment was "The
                Green Howards", based on their colors and the name of an early
                commander. This is from a website of the Green Howards Museum in
                Yorkshire, England (http://www.greenhowards.org.uk/index.php). The
                site's contact list includes an email address:
                museum@... .

                I'll bet if you send the museum an email with the info on the medal,
                including the info Alta Fae Brown provided (below), the museum would
                be able to locate a relative to whom you could send the medal. I
                imagine someone would be very grateful and proud to receive it.

                Mark

                On 4 May 2009 at 5:28, Sam wrote:
                > Thank you for this information, it makes me wonder all the more how
                > this medal belonging to someone in France ended up in the US...I will
                > probably never know.  I looked in England thinking he may have been
                > from England.

                {snip}
              • Sam
                Message 7 of 7 , May 4, 2009
                  Thank you for the information.  I will send an email and see if the medal can be united with some of his family.  I sure would like to receive something like that on my family.
                  The medal is a Victory Medal which is given together with a star.
                  Thanks to both of you for your help.
                  Sam

                  Actually, Richard Arthur Willis was from Bridlington, Yorkshire, in
                  England. He was a member of the 5th Battalion of the Yorkshire
                  regiment of the British Army. He was killed in World War I,
                  apparently in France.

                  From the 18th century forward, the nickname of the regiment was "The
                  museum@greenhowards .org.uk .