what is fmf

  • brendal
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29 4:35 PM
      Could you explain what that is {FMF}? Does that have anything to do with folic acid genes?

    • Joy
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29 5:24 PM
        FMF is Familial Mediterranean Fever... also known as periodic fever syndrome. Most cases occur as severe abdominal pain, fever, chills, and rash on the legs. But, some people experience this pain & swelling in the joints. The fevers come on without warning most of the time - severe chills, high fever, lethargy and pain. They can last a day or several, and take several days to recover from. There is no cure, but most people diagnosed with FMF take colchicine to ward off the fatal kidney disease amyloidosis.

        FMF is frequent among people of Mediterranean descent - Armenians are esp susceptible. It has also been linked with Melungeons, but it not inherent to that group.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 29 6:07 PM
          FMF has nothing to do with folic acid deficiency. FMF is a genetic disease.

          Folic acid deficiency is linked with neural tube birth defects i.e. spinal bifida when the mother did not get enough folic acid before and during pregnancy. The US and Canada required all grain products be fortified with folic acid starting in 1998. Those old southern favorites turnip, mustard and collard greens are loaded with folic acid.

          It is also associated with high homocysteine levels which can cause heart disease.

          Clay

          Could you explain what that is {FMF}? Does that have anything to do with folic acid genes?

        • jackman_0645
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 30 5:38 AM
            From all that I have been able to read about Melungeons They come from an area here in east Tennessee about 30 miles from where I live and in all probability are decendant of Portugese settlers intermixed with some Indian ancestry. They are not the lost tribe of Israel or anything like that. They are mainly from the Sneedville and Newport area. They have been the subject of study and even a once theatrical production. They were discussed even in the Tennessee state legislature in the early 1800's. They were reclusive mountain folk for years and still are to some degree in some areas.
            John Larry Hamilton

            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Joy" <joy0420@...> wrote:

            > FMF is Familial Mediterranean Fever... also known as periodic fever syndrome. Most cases occur as severe abdominal pain, fever, chills, and rash on the legs. But, some people experience this pain & swelling in the joints. The fevers come on without warning most of the time - severe chills, high fever, lethargy and pain. They can last a day or several, and take several days to recover from. There is no cure, but most people diagnosed with FMF take colchicine to ward off the fatal kidney disease amyloidosis.
            >
            > FMF is frequent among people of Mediterranean descent - Armenians are esp susceptible. It has also been linked with Melungeons, but it not inherent to that group.

          • Clay Gullatt
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 30 9:31 AM
              Read the article on Melungeons under Links at the group home website for the latest DNA testing results which proves otherwise.

              Clay

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 30 11:13 AM
                I had already read it. This has been the subject of several University studies including DNA studies. It changes nothing stated. There can be no question about Sneedville and Newport and that area. It has been a fact for many years.
                JLH

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 30 11:28 AM
                  I added a file for review.