Davis family in Jackson County

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 27, 2009
      Here is what we have. John Colbert married Mary Davis circa 1870. Mary and infant son died of a diease outbreak between 1870 and 1872. In 1872 John married Mrs. Sarah (Sally) Willis (maiden name unknown). John was murdered in 1880 by A.P.(Pink) Davis. According to Newspaper accounts of the time, A.P. Davis was cousin to both John Colbert and Mrs. Sarah (Sally) Willis. John Colbert's parents were Mason and Nancy Colbert. Ok that is what we KNOW. According to family tradition, John Colbert mother (Nancy) was a Davis of the Eastern Cherokee Davis'. This does make some sense when you take into consideration that Mason and Nancy bought property in the paint rock valley right after the payout of monies to the Eastern Cherokee from the United States Government. We have not been able to conclusively link Nancy to the Cherokee Davis' or figure out the link between the Colbert and Davis family.
      Kevin and Gina (nee Colbert) Hall
    • Mary Urban
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 27, 2009
        Gina, a question for you, since you were a Colbert. I am trying to learn
        more about the Colbert family in the Jackson Co. AL area, prior to 1850. Is
        your Colbert family living in the area that early? Who is your earliest
        known Colbert ancestor? I am looking for a Colbert woman who married a
        George Stewart who died at Horn Lake about 1840 or before. There were
        Chickasaw Indian connections in this Colbert family, and perhaps in the
        Stewart line as well.

        Would appreciate anyone's information or suggestions.

        Mary Urban

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 27, 2009
          Mason and Nancy Colbert: (Should Be) James Samuel Colbert and Nancy Brazier
          James' father was Mason Colbert and Holly (LNU)

          Nancy Brazier is the sister to my gg grandfather George Washington Brazier
          (Brashear), who's father was Elijah Brazier (Brasure/Brasher) b 1800 SC/NC?