A Good Mystery

  • jrytrplt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 21, 2009
      I'm looking for a little definitive information concerning a double murder!? How's that for a good mystery?

      According to a magazine article published in 1979,?a blacksmith by the name of Samuel Houston Thomas got into a fight with and killed two Jackson County employees while arguing over a bill for the shoeing of two horses for the county.? It occurred near the Jackson Marion County line.? He subsequently fled to Texas where he lived until his death.? He married Catherine Scoggins while living in Doran's Cove.

      I'm looking for information concerning this incident, in particular, a newspaper account or someone that is familiar enough with the story to give more manes.

      Thanks.

    • jrytrplt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 21, 2009
        I failed to give dates.

        This probably occurred somewhere around 1887 to 1880.

        Thanks.

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 25, 2009
          Found nothing on the murder or if there was a murder, here is the info on Samuel Houston Thomas. If the murders occurred 1877 to 1880 it looks like he spent little time in jail from the birth dates of the children.

          1860 Sorthern Div (Valley Head PO) De Kalb Co. AL
          Samuel Thomas 75 Farmer VA
          Louisa 25 Domestic TN
          Jane C. Troxell 12 AL (for a good story look her up on the census)
          Washington Troxell 8 AL
          Samuel H. Thomas 3 AL

          1870 Dist 1 (Bridgeport PO) Jackson CO. AL
          James L. Russsell 40 TN
          Delila J. 39 AL
          Number of Children
          Samuel Thomas 13 AL

          Samuel Thomas m. Catherine Scoggins 28 Apr 1874 MOG George Haywood OS Page 343

          1880 Dist 11 Marion Co. TN
          Samuel Thomas 24 Head AL AL AL Working on Farm
          Catherine Wife 26 Keeping House SC SC SC
          Linda Dau 5 TN AL SC
          Leona Dau 2 AL AL SC
          Bettie Dau 1 TN AL SC
          Eliza Thomas 55 Wd AL AL AL (I read her as as 53)

          1900 Justice Precindt 2 Travis Co. TX
          Sam Thomas Nov 1854 45 mar26yrs SC SC SC Blacksmith
          Catherine S Wife Jan 1852 48 mar26yrs SC SC SC
          Malinda Dau May 1875 25 AL
          Leeanna Dau Jul 1876 23 AL
          George W. Son Oct 1881 AL
          Fannie E. Dau Sept 1884 8 AL
          Myrtle Son Dec 1887 12 TX
          Sam O. Son Feb 1890 10 TX
          John W. Son Oct 1892 7 TX
          Lacy Prim Boarder Nov 1874 26 TX AL AL

          This is Samuel Houston Thomas as a birth cert. for Samuel Ollie Thomas says father Samuel Houston Thomas mother Kathelene Scoggins.

          He is on the 1910, 1920 and 1930 Travis Co. TX Census. He died 09 Apr 1945 Austin, Travis Co. TX aged 90 yrs 4mons 14 days b. 20 Nov 1854 AL Widowed, Father Samuel Houston Thomas, Mother Betty Elizabeth Blevins, Retired farmer, buried Fiskville Cem. Austin TX 11 Apr 1945.

          Clay

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 6, 2014
            Some information on Samuel Houston Thomas, and the person you have listed as Washington Troxell. First a correction on Washington Troxell. His name was George Washington Thomas. He was not a Troxell. I know this because I am a direct descendant of his. Sam,didn't kill two county workers. He killed a Yankee soldier, and a carpetbagger, which is why there isn't much information on it. No one in the south wanted to make it public. As for the not doing time. He left Alabama in the middle of the night, and headed to Texas. After he got settled in Texas, he sent word to my Great Great Grandfather G.W. G.W. loaded up Sams family in a wagon and took them to Texas, which is were he meet, and married Margurette Waddell, my Great Great Grandmother. G.W. returned to Alabama, and is buried in Bridgeport, along with Margurette. Sam stayed in Texas, because he was wanted in Alabama. He is buried near Bastrop Tx.
          • pat11@gol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 6, 2014
              Bastrop Tx? Do you know which cemetery? I have a sister there. She is
              part of a group that takes care of a small pioneer cemetery, Oak Hill,
              that her husband's ancestors are buried in. I see some Thomas' buried
              there on findagrave but not Samuel. (don't know if the entire
              cemetery's been cataloged.)

              If you know the name of the cemetery, and would like a headstone photo, I
              could ask her to try to find it. Might take a while though but I bet
              she'd be willing to help.

              Best regards,

              Pat Elleven
              Researching John C. Gilbert b. 1852 - d. about 1900
              Married Mrs. Elizabeth C. Vaughn, 1875 in Jackson Co. (nee Nelson )

            • put4197@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 7, 2014
                Not butting into your searching but I was looking at find a grave when this came in and there is 1 Samuel Houston Thomas on it.
                Birth: May 18, 1879
                Kentucky, USA
                Death: Sep. 26, 1948
                Waco
                McLennan County
                Texas, USA
                 Is this your person.

                wrote:

                >Some information on Samuel Houston Thomas, and the person you have listed as Washington Troxell. First a correction on Washington Troxell. His name was George Washington Thomas. He was not a Troxell. I know this because I am a direct descendant of his. Sam,didn't kill two county workers. He killed a Yankee soldier, and a carpetbagger, which is why there isn't much information on it. No one in the south wanted to make it public. As for the not doing time. He left Alabama in the middle of the night, and headed to Texas. After he got settled in Texas, he sent word to my Great Great Grandfather G.W. G.W. loaded up Sams family in a wagon and took them to Texas, which is were he meet, and married Margurette Waddell, my Great Great Grandmother. G.W. returned to Alabama, and is buried in Bridgeport, along with Margurette. Sam stayed in Texas, because he was wanted in Alabama. He is buried near Bastrop Tx.

              • Jerry Triplett
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 7, 2014
                  Ethan:

                  Great to meet you via Jackson Genie.

                  I really appreciate the info you sent; I'm comparing all of it to what I have or adding your information.  You seem quite accomplished.

                  I'm looking at Huston now.  Here is some info that I believe to be correct:

                  Houston joined Co G of the 3rd Confederate Calvary as a Private on Apr 17, 1862 at Battle Creek (Marion Co, TN?), enlisted by Capt P H Rice for a period of 12 months.  On Dec 31, 1863, he was "absent" being on a "Disabled List" by order of Gen Wheeler on Dec ?, 1863.  On a Muster Card dated Mar 2, 1864 he is shown as "deserted" on Jan 1, 1864 (?).

                  Joseph Thomas of Doran's Cove had 12 children.  Six were males.  Of the 6 brothers, one died (as far as I can tell) prior to the Civil War.  The other five served in the Confederate Army.

                  Archibald Thomas, 1825 - 1940, Co G, 3rd Confederate Calvary

                  William Houston Thomas, 1832 - 1910, Co G, 3rd Confederate Calvary

                  James Lawler Thomas, 1835 - 1915, Co F, 42nd TN Infantry

                  Joseph Thomas, Jr, 1840 - 1919, 6th AL Infantry

                  Mason Thomas, 1843 - 1925, Co G, 3rd Confederate Calvary

                  I seem to have two additional children; Martha b. 1862 and Priscilla May b. in 1873.  Not sure this is correct.

                  There are pictures of Huston and Susan Jane on the net if you don't have them.

                  Huston was a Justice of the Peace because he performed a number of marriages including for some of the other Thomases.  In particular, one for a sister, I believe, that married a much older Union soldier.  That has always puzzled me and I'm not sure the situation is as I believe.

                  William Huston, Jr, I'll pursue the piece officer possibility because I know someone that will probably know..

                  Now, to G W Thomas.  He makes my head hurt!  I have really had a hard time trying to figure him and Samuel out.  I intend to spend more time this afternoon on the two of them.

                  I would like to continue the discussion if you are agreeable.  I'm sure you have answers to some of my questions.

                  Just let me know.

[...]
                • speell
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 7, 2014
                    The death certificate for the Samuel H Thomas 1879-1948 is at:

                    Parents listed on the death certificate are Morris Jefferson Thomas and Mary Belle Breeding.

                    wrote:

                    >Some information on Samuel Houston Thomas, and the person you have listed as Washington Troxell. First a correction on Washington Troxell. His name was George Washington Thomas. He was not a Troxell. I know this because I am a direct descendant of his. Sam,didn't kill two county workers. He killed a Yankee soldier, and a carpetbagger, which is why there isn't much information on it. No one in the south wanted to make it public. As for the not doing time. He left Alabama in the middle of the night, and headed to Texas. After he got settled in Texas, he sent word to my Great Great Grandfather G.W. G.W. loaded up Sams family in a wagon and took them to Texas, which is were he meet, and married Margurette Waddell, my Great Great Grandmother. G.W. returned to Alabama, and is buried in Bridgeport, along with Margurette. Sam stayed in Texas, because he was wanted in Alabama. He is buried near Bastrop Tx.

                  • Ethan Payne

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 8, 2014
                        I do not know, but will try to get a hold of my mother and see if she knows.
                      • ethanpayne1655
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 8, 2014
                          Will be happy to continue
                        • ethanpayne1655
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 8, 2014
                            No, the Sam buried in Waco is not him. Birth place is wrong, andyear of death is wrong, but thank you.