Melungeon????

  • Shelley
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009
      Does anyone have information about melungeons? Do you understand the
      information or believe that it is true? I have found my family showing up
      in information regarding the melungeons. As I have read about it in the past
      and claims of a connection and Portugese descent by shipwrecked sailors.. I
      get more and more confused. Mulungeon by definition in some forms include 3
      races, most of the people that have chose to claim that the line is
      Melungeon seem to only use the combination of 2 races; white and Portuguese
      shipwrecked sailors with Jewish (?) practices. Maybe I am reading all of
      this wrong but it seems farfetched to me. Maybe I am just not convinced.

      Me*lun"geon\, n. [Cf. F. m['e]langer to mix, m['e]lange a mixture.] One of a
      mixed white and Indian people living in parts of Tennessee and the
      Carolinas. They are descendants of early intermixtures of white settlers
      with natives. In North Carolina the

      <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Croatan%20Indians> Croatan Indians,
      regarded as descended from Raleigh's lost colony of Croatan, formerly
      classed with negroes, are now legally recognized as distinct

      From what I have read the people where of a darker, odd, maybe olive skin
      color and pale or blue eyes (maybe I need to reread that information to be
      sure). The distinction in my family line is dark skin and dark hair and DARK
      brown eyes. For many of my relatives that I can think of in this family line
      you can definitely look at them and tell distinctively that they are related
      but the features more resemble Indian than anything else. It is so
      distinctive that someone walked up and asked my brother if he was in that
      family line and yes he was. I am one that did not inherit these features, I
      have light skin, green eyes and brown/blonde hair but my brother at first
      glance did.

      Historically my family has been said to have Indian, this is what the
      Mulungeons supposedly claimed to account for their mixed color. Since in my
      family line the Cherokee claim could not be proven by interview and
      application when the Rolls were made it seems that some researchers found an
      alternate explanation.the elusive Mulungeon theory. But how were the claims
      of Cherokee blood line positively proven to be added to the rolls back then
      other than verbal family history and looks and maybe and Family Bible
      record? Really I have wondered that.. There was no birth certificates, no
      DNA. I have read that there is a Melungeon DNA project I wish I knew more
      about it.

      I am not writing this to get flamed, but to better understand is this a
      theory or proven fact.

      Shelley Carter~Frady

    • jackman_0645
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
        I have no knoledge of this but have read about the lost colony. I will be interesting to see any replies. You have some very smart people here like Clay and Mrs. Chambliss that might can help.
        John Larry Hamilton

        - In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Shelley" <meagansmom@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have information about melungeons? Do you understand the
        > information or believe that it is true? I have found my family showing up
        > in information regarding the melungeons. As I have read about it in the past
        > and claims of a connection and Portugese descent by shipwrecked sailors.. I
        > get more and more confused. Mulungeon by definition in some forms include 3
        > races, most of the people that have chose to claim that the line is
        > Melungeon seem to only use the combination of 2 races; white and Portuguese
        > shipwrecked sailors with Jewish (?) practices. Maybe I am reading all of
        > this wrong but it seems farfetched to me. Maybe I am just not convinced.
        >

        > Me*lun"geon\, n. [Cf. F. m['e]langer to mix, m['e]lange a mixture.] One of a
        > mixed white and Indian people living in parts of Tennessee and the
        > Carolinas. They are descendants of early intermixtures of white settlers
        > with natives. In North Carolina the
        >
        > <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Croatan%20Indians> Croatan Indians,
        > regarded as descended from Raleigh's lost colony of Croatan, formerly
        > classed with negroes, are now legally recognized as distinct
        >

        > From what I have read the people where of a darker, odd, maybe olive skin
        > color and pale or blue eyes (maybe I need to reread that information to be
        > sure). The distinction in my family line is dark skin and dark hair and DARK
        > brown eyes. For many of my relatives that I can think of in this family line
        > you can definitely look at them and tell distinctively that they are related
        > but the features more resemble Indian than anything else. It is so
        > distinctive that someone walked up and asked my brother if he was in that
        > family line and yes he was. I am one that did not inherit these features, I
        > have light skin, green eyes and brown/blonde hair but my brother at first
        > glance did.
        >

        > Historically my family has been said to have Indian, this is what the
        > Mulungeons supposedly claimed to account for their mixed color. Since in my
        > family line the Cherokee claim could not be proven by interview and
        > application when the Rolls were made it seems that some researchers found an
        > alternate explanation.the elusive Mulungeon theory. But how were the claims
        > of Cherokee blood line positively proven to be added to the rolls back then
        > other than verbal family history and looks and maybe and Family Bible
        > record? Really I have wondered that.. There was no birth certificates, no
        > DNA. I have read that there is a Melungeon DNA project I wish I knew more
        > about it.
        >

        > I am not writing this to get flamed, but to better understand is this a
        > theory or proven fact.
        >

        > Shelley Carter~Frady

      • Joy
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
          Hi Shelley,

          The Melungeons still remain fairly elusive, but with the advent of DNA I do think a lot of the "mystery" surrounding them will be solved. There are several good websites out there, including www.melungeons.com and www.melungeon.org . The ethnic mixture remains in question to this day, and was deeply hidden at one time b/c of "racial" laws, such as it being illegal to be an "Indian", or the racism directed towards anyone with Negro heritage.

          There are some surnames that are linked closely with the Melungeons, and if you have those surnames along with the physical charateristics the chances are high you share a link to them. Also, one interesting medical fact linked with the Melungeons (as well as Turks, Armenians, and Sephardic Jews) is the disease Familial Mediterranean Fever, or FMF. Nancy Sparks has an excellent website that addresses the Melungeon link to the disease at www.melungeonhealth.org .

          There are also a variety of books available on the Melungeons, which might be available at a larger public library or for purchase at Amazon.com.

          I hope this helps you a little in your research. Most importantly, keep an open mind.

          Joy
          Alabama

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 26, 2009
            Shelley
            I undestand what you are talking about My Grandfather Hester Carter who was A cherekee
            an chickasaw indian blood line never talked about his parents . I wished he had but we never could get him to talk about them for some reason.U would not be of eny kin to his family from Marshall county Al. hIs parents name are Edward Carter an Amanda Tooter.not
            sure if these is her maiden name or the name of her first husband,grandpapa had 2 half sisters Lillie Mae Jones an Myrtle Farmer they lived around Guntersville Al.
            Good Luck on Ur search, Sue Long

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 27, 2009
              Not far fetched at all. DNA studies have verified much of the theory behind

              Richard Matthews

            • Joy
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 27, 2009
                I just wanted to note that the Asian shovel back teeth and Anatolian bump are not purely indicative of the Melungeon people. Asians and American Indians also carry these traits, but through various websites they've been associated exclusively with Melungeons, which is incorrect.
                And to clarify my previous post on Melungeons and Familial Mediterranean Fever (FMF) - this is not exclusively a Melungeon disease, though some do carry the gene.

> [...]

                > glance did.
                >
                > Historically my family has been said to have Indian, this is what the
                > Mulungeons supposedly claimed to account for their mixed color. Since in my
                > family line the Cherokee claim could not be proven by interview and
                > application when the Rolls were made it seems that some researchers found
                > an
                > alternate explanation. the elusive Mulungeon theory. But how were the
                > claims
                > of Cherokee blood line positively proven to be added to the rolls back then
                > other than verbal family history and looks and maybe and Family Bible
                > record? Really I have wondered that.. There was no birth certificates, no
                > DNA. I have read that there is a Melungeon DNA project I wish I knew more
                > about it.
                >
                > I am not writing this to get flamed, but to better understand is this a

                Richard Matthews

              • Clay Gullatt
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 27, 2009
                  There is a link at the group home website on Jackson County Melungeons (Sand Mountain) including DNA. The researchers concluded they were a mixture of Jews of Scots descent and Native Americans. Jews intermarried the the natives of what ever country they happened to be in so it would not be unusual to find blonde blue eyed people of Jewish descend in Scotland and among those who emigrated to America.

                  Many of the Jews in Scotland were undoubtedly from Spain who were expelled during the Spanish Inquisition. It would not be surprising to find that some of their descendants were also Scotch-Irish since Northern Ireland was settled mostly with low land Scots and English from the North of England who were Protestants. These people in turn intermarried with Native Americans. It has been estimated that those in the SE US who can trace their ancestry back before 1800 that 70 per cent have some Native American blood. It would not be surprising to find that many of us have shovel teeth and the Anatolian bump passed to us by our Native American ancestors.

                  Take the Gullatts for instance, though the name is French Huguenot who came to MD in the 1670s, I have English, Scots, Irish, Welsh, Scotch-Irish and Native American (both maternal and paternal) ancestors.  When someone asks what my ancestry is I usually say Heinz 57 and that is what a great many of us are.

                  And remember the English, Irish and Scots were a mixture of races both native to Great Britain and those from Europe who invaded or emigrated to the islands, including Germans, French, Dutch, Scandinavians, Spain and just about every other county in Europe.

                  Clay

> [...]

                  > glance did.
                  >
                  > Historically my family has been said to have Indian, this is what the
                  > Mulungeons supposedly claimed to account for their mixed color. Since in my
                  > family line the Cherokee claim could not be proven by interview and
                  > application when the Rolls were made it seems that some researchers found
                  > an
                  > alternate explanation. the elusive Mulungeon theory. But how were the
                  > claims
                  > of Cherokee blood line positively proven to be added to the rolls back then
                  > other than verbal family history and looks and maybe and Family Bible
                  > record? Really I have wondered that.. There was no birth certificates, no
                  > DNA. I have read that there is a Melungeon DNA project I wish I knew more
                  > about it.
                  >
                  > I am not writing this to get flamed, but to better understand is this a

                  Richard Matthews

                • Karl Plenge
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 27, 2009
                    In case anyone on the list is interested, there is a Southern Railway Northern AL Timetable from 1933 on ebay:

                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220404250967

                    In the photos I don't see any Jackson Co towns listed, but they could be on the other side.

                    My grandfather worked for the Southern in Sheffield in 1933 and I would love to get this, but at the price it is already at, it will probably go for a lot more.

                    If anyone on the list is going to bid on this, let me know either publicly or privately and I will not bid against you.

                  • msbs05@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 27, 2009
                      I have family from Sand Mtn that fits the description Clay just gave and I have FMF, the genetic illness that is linked to Sephardic Jews via Cherokees. The genetic marker must be on both sides of your family for FMF to develop. My other side is from Lincoln County TN and also has some Cherokee. My distant cousin Joy posted about that side of the family earlier (hi Joy!) There is a doctor in Johnson City doing research on the connection and he gives talks about it. It is valid and he does the testing on FMF, although a DNA test is not needed to diagnose the illness. Clay's description is accurate from my research and personal genealogy

                      Michaele

> [...]

                      > glance did.
                      >
                      > Historically my family has been said to have Indian, this is what the
                      > Mulungeons supposedly claimed to account for their mixed color. Since in my
                      > family line the Cherokee claim could not be proven by interview and
                      > application when the Rolls were made it seems that some researchers found
                      > an
                      > alternate explanation. the elusive Mulungeon theory. But how were the
                      > claims
                      > of Cherokee blood line positively proven to be added to the rolls back then
                      > other than verbal family history and looks and maybe and Family Bible
                      > record? Really I have wondered that.. There was no birth certificates, no
                      > DNA. I have read that there is a Melungeon DNA project I wish I knew more
                      > about it.
                      >
                      > I am not writing this to get flamed, but to better understand is this a

                      Richard Matthews

                    • Joy
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 27, 2009
                        Hi Micheale,
                        Long time, no see! What is this Dr's name? I'd love to hear him speak. I haven't had the genetic testing, but 3 of my Drs agree now that it's definitely FMF - but haven't made the connection yet on my mother's side.
                        Joy

> [...]

                        > glance did.
                        >
                        > Historically my family has been said to have Indian, this is what the
                        > Mulungeons supposedly claimed to account for their mixed color. Since in my
                        > family line the Cherokee claim could not be proven by interview and
                        > application when the Rolls were made it seems that some researchers found
                        > an
                        > alternate explanation. the elusive Mulungeon theory. But how were the
                        > claims
                        > of Cherokee blood line positively proven to be added to the rolls back then
                        > other than verbal family history and looks and maybe and Family Bible
                        > record? Really I have wondered that.. There was no birth certificates, no
                        > DNA. I have read that there is a Melungeon DNA project I wish I knew more
                        > about it.
                        >
                        > I am not writing this to get flamed, but to better understand is this a

                        Richard Matthews

                      • jackman_0645
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 28, 2009
                          THings work out strangely my ancestors came here as endentured servants as punishment for fighting to put Stuart on the throne of England. They were Scots most did not survive that harsh servitude but somehow mine did and they eventually ended up in Jackson County. I am now living in Blount County Tennessee, Maryville, I read a study that was done here by I believe Vanderbilt University and it stated that some of the purest Scottish blood was in this area. You have these Scottish associations where they wear kilts to meetings and they have Scottish games each year tossing logs and wrestling the same things the Scots did to train for defending them selves against the English. Sam Houston was from this area and the old school house where he taught school is not far from my home about 2 miles.

                          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                          > There is a link at the group home website on Jackson County Melungeons (Sand Mountain) including DNA. The researchers concluded they were a mixture of Jews of Scots descent and Native Americans. Jews intermarried the the natives of what ever country they happened to be in so it would not be unusual to find blonde blue eyed people of Jewish descend in Scotland and among those who emigrated to America.
                          >
                          > Many of the Jews in Scotland were undoubtedly from Spain who were expelled during the Spanish Inquisition. It would not be surprising to find that some of their descendants were also Scotch-Irish since Northern Ireland was settled mostly with low land Scots and English from the North of England who were Protestants. These people in turn intermarried with Native Americans. It has been estimated that those in the SE US who can trace their ancestry back before 1800 that 70 per cent have some Native American blood. It would not be surprising to find that many of us have shovel teeth and the Anatolian bump passed to us by our Native American ancestors.
                          >
                          > Take the Gullatts for instance, though the name is French Huguenot who came to MD in the 1670s, I have English, Scots, Irish, Welsh, Scotch-Irish and Native American (both maternal and paternal) ancestors.  When someone asks what my ancestry is I usually say Heinz 57 and that is what a great many of us are.
                          >
                          > And remember the English, Irish and Scots were a mixture of races both native to Great Britain and those from Europe who invaded or emigrated to the islands, including Germans, French, Dutch, Scandinavians, Spain and just about every other county in Europe.
                          >
                          > Clay

                        • John Green
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 4, 2009
                            Strange paths are the norm for people coming to this country from the
                            British Isles. Deportation, indentured servitude, political
                            persecution and religious persecution, and even slavery caused people
                            to move from the old world to the new world. The Scotch - Irish were
                            among the largest groups of settlers in the new world, many of them
                            coming as a result of one of the reasons mentioned above.

                            My ancestors, who became Clan MacCallam, followed St. Columba from
                            Ireland to Scotland in 563 AD along with other Celtic Irish who
                            accompanied Duncan Campbell. Duncan united his group of Celts and the
                            Picts of Scotland to become the first king of a united Scotland. From
                            this time forward, my family always seems to have chosen the losing
                            side in any rebellion that happened to come along. After almost 200
                            years of war with the English, trying to maintain a free Scotland, in
                            1603, King Charles offered land in Ireland to any Scotsman who would
                            agree to move there and stop fighting the English. I don't know if my
                            family went back to Ireland at this time or not. Several of our Clan
                            members did make this move, but I haven't been able to research my own
                            line prior to 1820. In any event these Celts whose ancestors moved
                            from Ireland to Scotland are called the Scotch Irish and there are a
                            LOT of us in the North Carolina mountains and surrounding areas,
                            including north east Alabama.

                            We do value our heritage and I am one of those folks who wears a kilt
                            and attends Scottish Games around the South. My kilt was made by a
                            lady in our Clan who learned the art from her Grandmother, who came
                            from the old country. There are 14 yards of heavy Scotch woven wool in
                            the kilt. It weights about 12 pounds.

                            John McCollum Green

                          • jrytrplt@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 4, 2009
                              John:? Like many of us, I assume you have plenty to read.? However, given your ancestry, I would recommend you read The Scotch Irish A Social History by James G. Leyburn.? Published by The University of North Carolina Press.

                              An incredibly readable and fact filled book.

                              Good luck!

> [...]

                              > cent have some Native American blood. It would not be surprising to
                              > find that many of us have shovel teeth and the Anatolian bump passed
                              > to us by our Native American ancestors.
                              > > ?
                              > > Take the Gullatts for instance, though the name is French Huguenot
                              > who came to MD in the 1670s, I have English, Scots, Irish, Welsh,
                              > Scotch-Irish and Native American (both maternal and paternal)
                              > ancestors.? When someone asks what my ancestry is I usually say Heinz
                              > 57 and that is what a great many of us are.
                              > > ?
                              > > And remember the English, Irish?and Scots were a mixture of races
                              > both native to Great Britain and those from Europe who invaded or
                              > emigrated to the islands, including Germans, French, Dutch,
                              > Scandinavians, Spain and just about every other county in Europe.?

                            • Mary Urban
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 4, 2009
                                John McCollum Green, your middle name rings a bell...I have a Joseph
                                McCollum in my database. Don't know who his parents were. He was born 10 Feb
                                1825 in Morrow Co. OH, died 16 Jan 1903 in Harrison Co. IA. He married
                                Alvira Jane Harris (she is a collateral relative in my Harris line) in
                                Morrow Co. OH 7 Sep 1857; they had 11 children.

                                Would you know anything about this Ohio McCollum??

                                Strange paths are the norm for people coming to this country from the
                                British Isles. Deportation, indentured servitude, political
                                persecution and religious persecution, and even slavery caused people
                                to move from the old world to the new world. The Scotch - Irish were
                                among the largest groups of settlers in the new world, many of them
                                coming as a result of one of the reasons mentioned above.

                                My ancestors, who became Clan MacCallam, followed St. Columba from
                                Ireland to Scotland in 563 AD along with other Celtic Irish who
                                accompanied Duncan Campbell. Duncan united his group of Celts and the
                                Picts of Scotland to become the first king of a united Scotland. From
                                this time forward, my family always seems to have chosen the losing
                                side in any rebellion that happened to come along. After almost 200
                                years of war with the English, trying to maintain a free Scotland, in
                                1603, King Charles offered land in Ireland to any Scotsman who would
                                agree to move there and stop fighting the English. I don't know if my
                                family went back to Ireland at this time or not. Several of our Clan
                                members did make this move, but I haven't been able to research my own
                                line prior to 1820. In any event these Celts whose ancestors moved
                                from Ireland to Scotland are called the Scotch Irish and there are a
                                LOT of us in the North Carolina mountains and surrounding areas,
                                including north east Alabama.

                                We do value our heritage and I am one of those folks who wears a kilt
                                and attends Scottish Games around the South. My kilt was made by a
                                lady in our Clan who learned the art from her Grandmother, who came
                                from the old country. There are 14 yards of heavy Scotch woven wool in
                                the kilt. It weights about 12 pounds.

                                John McCollum Green
                                On Apr 28, 2009, at 5:20 AM, jackman_0645 wrote:

                                > THings work out strangely my ancestors came here as endentured
                                > servants as punishment for fighting to put Stuart on the throne of
                                > England. They were Scots most did not survive that harsh servitude but
                                > somehow mine did and they eventually ended up in Jackson County. I am
                                > now living in Blount County Tennessee, Maryville, I read a study that
                                > was done here by I believe Vanderbilt University and it stated that
                                > some of the purest Scottish blood was in this area. You have these
                                > Scottish associations where they wear kilts to meetings and they have
                                > Scottish games each year tossing logs and wrestling the same things
                                > the Scots did to train for defending them selves against the English.
                                > Sam Houston was from this area and the old school house where he
                                > taught school is not far from my home about 2 miles.
                                >
                                > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com> , Clay Gullatt

                              • jackman_0645
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 4, 2009
                                  Mr. Green that was very interesting I have attended some of those games. It is a very big thing in thi9s area.
                                  JLH

                                  In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, John Green <dragonriders@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  > > in the SE US who can trace their ancestry back before 1800 that 70 per
                                  > > cent have some Native American blood. It would not be surprising to
                                  > > find that many of us have shovel teeth and the Anatolian bump passed
                                  > > to us by our Native American ancestors.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Take the Gullatts for instance, though the name is French Huguenot
                                  > > who came to MD in the 1670s, I have English, Scots, Irish, Welsh,
                                  > > Scotch-Irish and Native American (both maternal and paternal)
                                  > > ancestors.  When someone asks what my ancestry is I usually say Heinz
                                  > > 57 and that is what a great many of us are.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > And remember the English, Irish and Scots were a mixture of races
                                  > > both native to Great Britain and those from Europe who invaded or
                                  > > emigrated to the islands, including Germans, French, Dutch,
                                  > > Scandinavians, Spain and just about every other county in Europe.

                                • John Green
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 4, 2009
                                    Mary,

                                    Not at this time. I have only traced this line back to Nancy McCollum
                                    in Lincoln County TN in 1820 census. I don't know who Nancy's husband
                                    was, but my fellow researchers and I are sure they came from NC. There
                                    are many branches to this family and the name has been corrupted from
                                    the original MacCallum to include McCollum, McCallum, McCollom, and
                                    even Malcomb. So far as I know, none of my direct line has an Ohio
                                    connection. I'll remember your offer and I am be back in touch, if I
                                    can find a connection.

                                    John