Benjamin and Elizabeth Ann (LNU) Harper

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2009
      Jacob

      I have copies of the settlement of the estates of John Payne Harper, (William) Benjamin Harper and his wife Elizabeth Ann Harper. If you live in Jackson Co. they are available at the Probate Court. I don't have the ones for Andrew J. and his wife Mary T. (Fowler) Harper. If you don't live in Jackson Co. I can snail mail you copies of what I have.

      In Elizabeth Ann Harper's application for dower dtd 28 July 1866 she states the following:

      (William) Benjamin Harper and Elizabeth Ann (maiden name not listed) were married 10 Jan 1841
      (William) Benjamin Harper d. 05 Oct 1864
      Elizabeth Ann Harper is the admin. of Benjamin's estate she lists as his heirs:
      Elizabetha Ann Harper Widow and relict
      John A. Harper son over 21
      Robert F. Harper son over 21
      Andrew J. Harper son age 20
      Lucinda Harper dau age 17
      Mary Ann Harper dau 15
      Polly Ann M. Woosley minor child (less than 14) of Aaron Woosley and Manerva J. (Harper) Woosley

      The ages look like they are for 1866 when the application was made. The oldest son William Benjamin b. 1836 was apparently dead by 1860 he is not on that census and is not listed as a heir.

      Assuming the above marriage date is correct that means Benjamin's Harper's 2 oldest sons William Benjamin and John A. and oldest Dau Manerva J. had a different mother and that Benjamin was married before marrying Elizabeth Ann. Manera J.'s birth date is listed on a family tree as 20 May 1840, John A. lists his as Dec 1839? on the 1900 census one of dates is wrong.

      Here is the 1850 Census.

      1850 Township 5 Range 5 Jackson Co. AL
      Benjamin Harper 36 Farmer AL
      Elizabeth 36 NC
      William 14 AL (William Benjamin)
      John A. 10 AL
      Minerva 8 AL
      Robert 7 AL
      Andy 5 (AL)
      Lucinda 2 (AL)

      1860 Dist 2 (Paint Rock PO) Jackson Co. AL
      Benj. Harper 45 Farmer AL
      Elizabeth 46 NC
      John 20 AL
      M. J. 19 AL (Manerva Jane)
      Robert 16 AL
      Andrew 15 AL
      Lucinda 12 AL
      M. A. 10 AL (Mary Ann)

      1870 Sub Div 3 Scottsboro PO) Jackson Co. AL
      House 205 Family 203
      Elizabeth A. Harper 65 Keeping House NC
      Walter D. Selby 29 (white) Field Hand AL
      Eliza Sharp 25 (black) Field Hand GA
      James Sharp 3 (black) AL

      House 192 Family 190
      Andrew J. Harper 23 Farmer AL
      Molly T. 27 Keeping House AL
      Benjamin F. 3 AL
      John F. 1 AL
      Nancy E. Crawford 18 House Work

      1880 Dist 117 (Township 4 Range 5 ) Jackson Co. AL
      House 63 Family 66
      Elizabeth Harper 66 Head House Keeper NC NC NC

      House 62 Family 65
      John Harper 41 Head Farmer AL AL TN
      Mary 37 Wife House Keeper AL TN TN
      Permelia Holdt 58 Mother in Law TN SC SC

      1880 Dist 110 (Township 3 Range 5
      House/Family 49
      Andy Harper 33 Head Farmer AL VA VA
      Polly 36 Wife AL VA AL
      Benjamin 12 Son (all the children b. AL) (m. Missie Martin)
      John 11 Son
      Bryan 15 Son (1900 list him as Bryon M. m. Lena Ryan)
      Fannie 9 Dau  ( m. Thomas B. Foster)
      Firman 6 Son (m. Beulah Walker)
      Robert 3 Son
      Belle 1 Dau (Jennie Belle m. Geo. W. Lusk)
      Sarah Robers 21 Servant AL AL AL

      1900 Dist 32 Larkinsville, Jackson CO. AL
      House 169 Family 173
      Andrew J. Harper Head Jul 1846 53 mar.34yrs AL AL AL Farmer
      Mary T. Wife May 1843 57 mar.34yrs 8children/8living AL TN AL
      Robert G. Son Oct 1883 16
      Elizabeth A. Dau Jan 1888 12

      Andrew J. Harper m. Dolly T. Fowler 27 Sep 1866 (Mary T. Fowler nicknames Dolly, Polly, Mollie. I do not know who Andrew J.'s 1st wife was she was the mother of Bryon b. Dec 1864

      Elizabeth Ann Harper d. Feb 1891.

      John Payne Harper d. 1862 his wife Martha "Patsy" (Phillips) Harper d. 1884.

      John Paye Harper parents were Robert Harper and Margery Payne Bedford Co. VA.

      He was a descendant of John Harper b. 1833 a Quaker baptized 5 Mar1634 Noke Church, Oxfordshire, England who married Ann Butcher of Kings Sutton, Northhamptonshire in St.Ebbe's Parish 6 Apr 1687.

      They emigrated to Pennslyvania arriving Philadelphia 02 Aug 1682 with 7 of their eight children, John, Joseph, Josiah, Mary, Charles, Elizabaeth and Ralph. Bridget the oldest who had married remained in Noke. He settle just outside Philadelphia and founded the township of Oxford. John made it to Pennslyvania before William Penn did.

      John Harper is buried in Philadelphia PA his tombstone reads "John Harper son of John Harper of Noke Oxfordshire in Old England arrived in Pennlyvania 2nd of August 1682 died ye 29th of April 1716, aged 83 years". John Harper's father's and grandfather's tombstone is in the church yard at Noke it was turned face down many years ago to preserve the inscriptions on it. Another of his descentants was Robert Harper who founded Harpers Ferry VA now WVA.

      Our family descends through Joseph Harper b. 30 Nov 1674 Noke, Oxfordshire, England d. 1746 Philadelphia and Sarah Jackson (Sarah Jackson Moore??) b. ca 1685 m. ca 1711 Philadelphia PA. Their son Josiah b. 1731 Philadelphia d. 1768 Frederick Co. MD m. Rachael Owen/Owens ca 1755 their son Robert b. 1761 Frederick Co. MD m. Marjory or Marjery Payne in Bedford Co. VA 21 Dec 1787. Robert and Margery moved to Madison Co. Mississippi Terr.

      Robert Harper is listed on the 1809 Census of Madison Co. MS Terr. as follows
      4 males under 21
      2 males over 21
      5 females under 21
      1 female over 21

      He is also on the 1810, 1812 and 1816 Madison Co. Property Tax List. I don't know who the male over 21 listed with Robert is.