NATHAN BENJAMIN SIMS (1816-1896)

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2009
      Does anyone know the parents of Nathan Benjamin Sims, born 1816 in
      Franklin Co, TN, died 1896, buried in Sisk Cemetery in Paint Rock
      Valley? Nathan Benjamin Sims married Susan Gray circa 1846. Susan
      Gray was born in 1827 and died on July 21, 1906, and is buried in SIsk
      Cemetery in PRV. Susan Gray was the daughter of Terrell Gray (1806 -
      1880) who married Mary Martin (1804 - 1896). Terrell and Mary (Martin)
      Gray are also buried in the Sisk Cemetery in PRV. Terrell Gray was the
      son of George and Sarah (Benge) Gray of Wilkes County, NC.
      There was a Benjamin Sims in the 1820 census of Franklin Co, TN, but I
      can't find this Benjamin after 1820. He had 3 sons under the age of 10
      in 1820. Was this Benjamin the father of Nathan Benjamin Sims who was
      born in 1816 and would have been 4 years old in 1820??? I have found
      the name spelled Sims and Simms.
      Ann B. Chambless

    • msbs05@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2009
        It may be useful for you to find the book  EARLY SETTLERS OF ALABAMA By Eliz. Saunders Blair Stubbs 1961, which mentions the Simms, including some that moved from Franklin County, TN

        I have Sims ancestors from Franklin County, TN. M ost of the ones I've searched come from Maury County and previously NC. Elisha Sims b,1738 NC  is the head of the clan that moved to Maury county. He had several sons. I know Zachariah moved to Franklin along with sister Irene (my ancestor) and brother Leonard. He might be a candidate. I know in 1822, he boarded with brother Zachariah and later in1822, He moved to AL and settled in Courtland. The date of your Nathan would be right for being one of the grandsons of Elisha. At one time i had a lists of all Franklin Simms and knew how they connected but apparently didnt put all that in my family file. I think all that info is in attic. If i can get to it soon i will post what I have. Anyway, i think that is where I would start the search. Please keep me informed on what you find and I'll do some searching myself and let you know if I find anything

        Michaele

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2009
          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ann B. Chambless" <rabc123@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know the parents of Nathan Benjamin Sims, born 1816 in
          > Franklin Co, TN, died 1896, buried in Sisk Cemetery in Paint Rock
          > Valley? Nathan Benjamin Sims married Susan Gray circa 1846. Susan
          > Gray was born in 1827 and died on July 21, 1906, and is buried in SIsk
          > Cemetery in PRV. Susan Gray was the daughter of Terrell Gray (1806 -
          > 1880) who married Mary Martin (1804 - 1896). Terrell and Mary (Martin)
          > Gray are also buried in the Sisk Cemetery in PRV. Terrell Gray was the
          > son of George and Sarah (Benge) Gray of Wilkes County, NC.
          > There was a Benjamin Sims in the 1820 census of Franklin Co, TN, but I
          > can't find this Benjamin after 1820. He had 3 sons under the age of 10
          > in 1820. Was this Benjamin the father of Nathan Benjamin Sims who was
          > born in 1816 and would have been 4 years old in 1820??? I have found
          > the name spelled Sims and Simms.
          > Ann B. Chambless

          Ann,

          As you know, Elizabeth Johnson (Lawrence/Houston) married James Sims as her third and last husband. She had no children with him and I don't know where he is buried. Some time ago, I was contacted about his children who apparently went west. Are these Sims related to him?

          M. Johnson