Re: Rouse Cemetery

  • Richard Matthews
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
      > The book, Paint Rock Valley Pioneers which lists quite a few cemeteries in
      > Jackson and Madison counties does not have a Rouse cemetery, but it does
      list
      > some Rouses. Unfortunately, no James is listed.
      > marywinn@...

      In my Matthews family tree I have a Jesse Rouse marring a Elizabeth
      Matthews, she was born 1862
    • Mike Cummons
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
        Richard,

        Thanks so much for the response. I was surprised to see Rouse Cemetery. I
        think I've downloaded your family tree from your Matthews web page---I did
        that a couple of years ago. Do you know anything about Jesse Rouse?

        Thanks again for the response

        Georgia

      • MaryWinn@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
          Richard,
          I don't find any Rouses in Paint Rock Valley Pioneers that match yours.
          marywinn@...
        • Richard Matthews
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
            Hello Mike,

            I have never been to the Rouse Cemetery, but the information that I have
            says it is off the right side of the main road (Al 65) that runs from US hwy
            72 up Paint Rock Valley ,on Co Rd 12, about 10 miles from the 72
            intersection. That is in the Hollytree community out near the Williams Cove
            Church.

            Some of these old cemeteries are difficult to locate without local
            knowledge.

            There is a James Edward Rouse (he is about 65 years old) who lives in the
            valley married to a Mavis Ellen Roberts

            He may know about the Rouses of that area.

            > From: "Mike Cummons" <cummons@...>
            >
            > Richard,
            >
            > Thanks so much for the response. I was surprised to see Rouse Cemetery.
            > think I've downloaded your family tree from your Matthews web page---I did
            > that a couple of years ago. Do you know anything about Jesse Rouse?
            >
            > Thanks again for the response
            >
            > Georgia

          • Richard Matthews
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
              > From: MaryWinn@...
              >
              > Richard,
              > I don't find any Rouses in Paint Rock Valley Pioneers that match yours.
              > marywinn@...

              Not being critical of any of our local history books, but there are tons of
              information that is not included in them about many of our local families.
              We are lucky to have had the dedicated writers who have given what we do
              have though.

              My 2nd great grand dad's (James) oldest brother John Thomas Mathews was one
              of the early settlers of the upper end of the Hurricane Creek area of Paint
              Rock Valley. His wife was Elizabeth Sanders. Their youngest daughter,
              Amanda, married Jesse Rouse, one of the Paint Rock valley Rouse boys. John
              and Elizabeth moved on to Johnson County, Arkansas after the War between the
              States. Some of his children moved on with him. John was born in Big Coon,
              just up and over the mountain there at Hytop down in Matthews Cove. He died
              in Arkansas in 1871 and his wife and some children moved back. to Jackson
              County. Amanda married after their return.

              Richard
            • MaryWinn@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 13, 1999
                Hello Richard, your point is well taken; however, Paint Rock Valley Pioneers
                is only a cemetery listing. There are no biographies, etc., just some
                comment on a few of the people that the writers knew. It also doesn't give
                info about the people I am searching who have been there since very early
                times. I'm located down here in Florida away from being able to research
                things in those counties, and have only the Paint Rock Valley Pioneers book
                as a research tool other than the internet. When a name comes over the list,
                as a courtesy, I check the book. This list has been wonderful on info that I
                have used, and I want to give back when I can.
                Regards
                marywinn@...
              • Richard Matthews
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 13, 1999
                  Hello Mary,

                  Your input is very much appreciated too. I don't have ready access to the
                  Paint Rock Pioneers book and I am sure many others don't either, so your
                  input is valuable.

                  Everyone researching Jackson County can benefit greatly from active
                  participation on the discussion group . . . . . . . . . plus, it's a lot of
                  fun and you meet so many nice folks like you.

                  Richard