Old Newspaper Columns on Families in Jackson Co.

  • macatjax
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
      In years past, there were several people who wrote newspaper columns on the family history of original families who lived in Jackson Co. I have copied some of these from microfilm in the Scottsboro Library. However, they are scattered in with other items.

      One that I have is "They Passed This Way by Christine (Paradise) Sumner. Wouldn't it be great if the newspaper had these columns in their files and they could be published all together in some kind of book.

      Maybe, Ann C. might know something about this.

      M. Johnson
    • jackie morgan
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
        Of the columns that you did find, were any about DENMAN, BRYAN, NORWOOD, ROBINSON or CAGLE.

        Jackie Morgan

        Genealogist & Quilter

        I hear ethereal whispers, persuasive, soft and still,
        “Daughter, if you don’t remember us, who will?”…

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, jackie morgan <jackiemorgan02@...> wrote:

          > Of the columns that you did find, were any about DENMAN, BRYAN, NORWOOD, ROBINSON or CAGLE.
          >
          > Jackie Morgan
          >
          > Genealogist & Quilter
          >
          > I hear ethereal whispers, persuasive, soft and still,
          > “Daughter, if you don’t remember us, who will?”…

          Jackie,

          Because I "happened" on articles about my own families, there is no way of knowing what families were written about.

          Also, "The Progressive Age" in Stevenson also used to have family histories. I believe this newspaper is still being published, but is not on the web.

          MJ

          > ________________________________

        • frances_lambert2000
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
            I think that you mean the North Jackson Progress. I the Feb 16 paper they had a story about Dorothy Smith that was Born in 1918.She talked about the first car that she remembered a modelT and going to town in a wagon once a month. The Town was South Pittsburg Tn and dropping corn of at the Grist Mill on the way.

            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "macatjax" <mjohns039@...> wrote:

            > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, jackie morgan <jackiemorgan02@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Of the columns that you did find, were any about DENMAN, BRYAN, NORWOOD, ROBINSON or CAGLE.
            > >
            > > Jackie Morgan
            > >
            > > Genealogist & Quilter
            > >
            > > I hear ethereal whispers, persuasive, soft and still,
            > > “Daughter, if you don’t remember us, who will?”…
            >
            > Jackie,
            >
            > Because I "happened" on articles about my own families, there is no way of knowing what families were written about.
            >
            > Also, "The Progressive Age" in Stevenson also used to have family histories. I believe this newspaper is still being published, but is not on the web.
            >
            > MJ
            > >

            > > ________________________________

          • Richard Matthews
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
              Speaking of corn at the grist mill. My Dad, Ben Matthews, told me something
              a few months before he died, he was born at Bridgeport in 1915. He said that
              in his youth there were some floating graineries that made a trip up the
              river after harvest time and would dock at various landings and shell corn
              for local farmers for a percentage of the grain. He said wagons would be
              lined up down by the river waiting for their turn at the sheller.

              --
              Richard Matthews

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
                JM,

                I may have ask before but what is your Cagle intrest?

                Bill Cagle

                > Of the columns that you did find, were any about DENMAN, BRYAN, NORWOOD, ROBINSON or CAGLE.
                >
                > Jackie Morgan
                >
                > Genealogist & Quilter
                >
                > I hear ethereal whispers, persuasive, soft and still,
                > “Daughter, if you don’t remember us, who will?”…

                Jackie,

                Because I "happened" on articles about my own families, there is no way of knowing what families were written about.

                Also, "The Progressive Age" in Stevenson also used to have family histories. I believe this newspaper is still being published, but is not on the web.

                MJ

                > ________________________________

              • macatjax
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
                  --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "frances_lambert2000" <frances_lambert2000@...> wrote:

                  > I think that you mean the North Jackson Progress. I the Feb 16 paper they had a story about Dorothy Smith that was Born in 1918.She talked about the first car that she remembered a modelT and going to town in a wagon once a month. The Town was South Pittsburg Tn and dropping corn of at the Grist Mill on the way.

                  Frances,

                  You are right, I am going "way back" Thanks

                  MJ

                  > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "macatjax" <mjohns039@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, jackie morgan <jackiemorgan02@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Of the columns that you did find, were any about DENMAN, BRYAN, NORWOOD, ROBINSON or CAGLE.
                  > > >
                  > > > Jackie Morgan
                  > > >
                  > > > Genealogist & Quilter
                  > > >
                  > > > I hear ethereal whispers, persuasive, soft and still,
                  > > > “Daughter, if you don’t remember us, who will?”…
                  > >
                  > > Jackie,
                  > >
                  > > Because I "happened" on articles about my own families, there is no way of knowing what families were written about.
                  > >
                  > > Also, "The Progressive Age" in Stevenson also used to have family histories. I believe this newspaper is still being published, but is not on the web.
                  > >
                  > > MJ
                  > > >

                  > > > ________________________________

                • Charles McCutchen
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 5, 2009
                    There was a series called "Remember When" written by Stanley Jones.  I'm not sure when the series ran but I have one that has some of my family in it discusses the young/music scene in the 30s and the Scottsboro Hosiery Band.

                  • purplecraze38@charter.net
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 5, 2009
                      I have a subscription to newspaper archive but I can't find anything there. Maybe I subscribed to the wrong one? It may just be that I don't know how to use it. Please help. Gina Moses
                    • Regina Pipes
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 5, 2009
                        At one time I belonged to newspaper archives BUT I found that there wasn’t much on Alabama or Tennessee which I am most interested in. I found very little on Jackson County. They have some obits but they are only a few years old and they all aren’t there. Most of the subscriptions that I have had at one time doesn’t have much on these areas. I didn’t find much on ancestry.com either.

                        Regina

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 5, 2009
                          ok thank you
                          ---- Regina Pipes <rgpipes@...> wrote:
                          > At one time I belonged to newspaper archives BUT I found that there wasn’t much on Alabama or Tennessee which I am most interested in. I found very little on Jackson County. They have some obits but they are only a few years old and they all aren’t there. Most of the subscriptions that I have had at one time doesn’t have much on these areas. I didn’t find much on ancestry.com either.
                          >

                          > Regina

                        • JLH
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 5, 2009
                            You know I have paid for ancestry for years and have really not found hardly
                            anything there either. I am about done with them

                            John Larry Hamilton

                            _____