Re: [jacksongenealogy] Dogtrot homes

  • Jewel Casey
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
      The dog trot started out to be a protection sort of section like a porch built between the kitchen and the house, because the kitchen was always where a fire started and to protect the house where they slept and lived they built a lean to shed of sorts between the house and kitchen to keep the house section from burning.

      The so called porch always had a roof and most times had a wooden floor, then they began to enclose the ends and soon it began to look like a hallway.

      Before they began closing in the ends of course the animals ran through and used it as a shelter from the rain and cold, so it became known as a Dog Trot.