Re: [jacksongenealogy] Marriage information - Jackson County

  • Karl Plenge
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
      Years ago I found an index at familysearch.org for Jackson County Marriage Records, 1851-1929. Unfortunately, I did not save a link to it, and on a quick visit to their site just now, was not able to locate it again, but I am sure it is "somewhere" there if someone wanted to look for a while.

      1851-1856 and 1859-1871 may be found here: http://members.tripod.com/~DAllen1989/JacksonAL-Marriages.html

      There are many references online to files at algenweb for 1871-1881, but the links no longer work, meaning the files have been moved. However, if you go to this page

      http://www.idreamof.com/marriage/al.html

      and go down to the section for Jackson Co, the 1871-1881 files listed there seem to still work.

      While searching for some of these old resources I also found this page which seems to have some useful info on Jackson Co:

      http://www.trackingyourroots.com/jackson.htm

    • Clay Gullatt
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
        The 1851-1881 Marriages are found at the usgenweb jackson countly alababa archives project.

        Ancestry has 3 difference marriage indexes for AL but we know the marriages records/bonds before 1851 were burned in the Civil War and 1856-1859 are missing and while they have an index for 1809-1920 for Jackson Co. there is nothing for the burned/missing years and I have not found anything after 1900 except the years 1940 through 1969 which are on ancestry's 1800-1969 AL index.. I do not know of any other index giving 1900-1940.

        Clay

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
          Brazier, Betsy to William Messers 03 Feb 1869 P.711 L.1195
          (Elizabeth "Miss Betsy" Stephens Brazier Messer)
          Brazier, Jane to Andrew Worthen 04 Aug 1864 P.288 L.344
          (Armanda Jane Brazier)
          Brazier, Louisa J. to Allen J. Messer 04 Jan 1871 P.948 L.1607
          (Louisa Catherine Brazier)
          Brazier, Mary Ann to F. M. Medcalf 31 Mar 1869 P.738 L.1239
          (Confused with the 1860 Jackson Census - possible daughter of John Brazier b
          1805 SC/NC, possible brother to Elijah Brazier b 1800 SC/NC?)
          Brazier, Nancy to Solomon Stephens 13 Oct 1851 P.41 (Nancy
          Brazier, daughter of Elijah Brazier b 1800 SC/NC and his first wife, all the
          above children were born to Elizabeth "Miss Betsy" Stephens Brazier Messer)

          The Mary Ann Brazier is believed to be the Mary that appears in the 1860
          census in my GGG Grandfather, Elijah Brazier II b 1800 SC/NC?, household,
          this Brazier has no relationship to my line, this female was actually Elijah
          "Ledge" Brazier III (Brashear/Brasher), and was actually a male. Elijah's
          son, Solomon Brazier, would marry F.M. Medcalf's sister or cousin; she would
          die in child birth, Solomon never remarried and lived with Louisa Catherine
          Brazier Messer or her descendants the remainder of his life, he died at
          about the age of 91, or after the 1930 census as he lived in Bowie, Texas at
          this time. Jane Brazier is Armanda Jane Brazier and Louisa J is really
          Catherine Louisa, as she was named for my grandmother, Sarah Louisa
          Catherine Brazier b 1892 Scottsborro, Jackson, AL

          > Records, 1851-1929. Unfortunately, I did not save a link to it, and on a
          > quick visit to their site just now, was not able to locate it again, but I
          > am sure it is "somewhere" there if someone wanted to look for a while.
          >
          > 1851-1856 and 1859-1871 may be found here:
          > http://members.tripod.com/~DAllen1989/JacksonAL-Marriages.html
          >
          > There are many references online to files at algenweb for 1871-1881, but
          > the links no longer work, meaning the files have been moved. However, if
          > you go to this page
          >
          > http://www.idreamof.com/marriage/al.html
          >
          > and go down to the section for Jackson Co, the 1871-1881 files listed
          > there seem to still work.
          >
          > While searching for some of these old resources I also found this page
          > which seems to have some useful info on Jackson Co:
          >
          > http://www.trackingyourroots.com/jackson.htm

        • Jewel Casey
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
            I haven't found any Jackson County marriages after 1881 on line. I have the marriages in book form that have been published up till then and was so hoping that someone would find the time to publish more because we would be more than willing to buy the books if available.

            Jewel
            From: jrytrplt <jrytrplt@...>
            Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Marriage information
            To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Monday, March 2, 2009, 9:20 AM

            Good morning!

            I'm looking for a good online source of mid 20th century marriage
            information for Jackson County - any suggestions?

          • Clay Gullatt
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009

[...]

            • Brent W
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2009
                The marriage information is great but check all spellings for your relatives.  Our relative has the last name of Derrick and it was spelled Deonch (Deorch). The date was on the spot so it was still a great resource for me even with the spelling errors.