Re: [jacksongenealogy] Dog Trot

  • Richard Matthews
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 25, 2009
      The dog trot house was very common in these parts in the early days and the
      design made a lot of sense. In those days many extended families lived in
      the same house so having the separation of rooms was a good thing. Since
      there was no air conditioning and air does not flow all that great through
      open windows, the dog trot provided an area under the roof where breezes
      could blow freely through on hot summer days. They also provided a covered
      work area for rainy days and winter days. Guessing why they were called
      "dog trots" is an easy one one. Ole Blue could go from the front of the
      house to the back of the house by running through the middle of the house
      and I'd guess more than one hound dog spent many lazy days asleep in the dog
      trot. My uncles' house on Sand Mountain not only had a dog trot but someone
      was smart enough to dig their well under that part of the house, so that
      they could draw water without having to go out into the weather. the dog
      trot always reminded me of the hall of the barn which was usually left open
      ended like the house dog trot. Some of my relatives lived in dog trot houses
      that were later closed in and the trot became another room and they normally
      added a big front porch after that.
      On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Jewel Casey <jcasey@...> wrote:

      > This was part of the house and it WAS NOT open to the weather.
      >
      > Jewel

      Richard Matthews