Re: [jacksongenealogy] Old maps and such

  • Richard Matthews
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2001
      (They have records of Cherokee familes who were removed from Crow Town and
      Sauta in Jackson
      County around 1835.)

      As an added note, that applies to our recent discussion of local ferries,
      the list of Cherokees, who were removed to the west, showed their
      occupations also, along the Tennessee river in northern Alabama, nine
      Cherokees owned and operated ferries in the pre-1835 years and most of them
      had white names . . . makes you wonder if our Mr Sublett might have assumed
      the operation of a ferry that had belonged to one of them.

      Richard