Re: Rouse Cemetery

  • MaryWinn@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
      The book, Paint Rock Valley Pioneers which lists quite a few cemeteries in
      Jackson and Madison counties does not have a Rouse cemetery, but it does list
      some Rouses. Unfortunately, no James is listed.
      marywinn@...
    • Richard Matthews
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
        > The book, Paint Rock Valley Pioneers which lists quite a few cemeteries in
        > Jackson and Madison counties does not have a Rouse cemetery, but it does
        list
        > some Rouses. Unfortunately, no James is listed.
        > marywinn@...

        In my Matthews family tree I have a Jesse Rouse marring a Elizabeth
        Matthews, she was born 1862
      • Mike Cummons
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
          Richard,

          Thanks so much for the response. I was surprised to see Rouse Cemetery. I
          think I've downloaded your family tree from your Matthews web page---I did
          that a couple of years ago. Do you know anything about Jesse Rouse?

          Thanks again for the response

          Georgia

        • MaryWinn@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
            Richard,
            I don't find any Rouses in Paint Rock Valley Pioneers that match yours.
            marywinn@...
          • Richard Matthews
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
              Hello Mike,

              I have never been to the Rouse Cemetery, but the information that I have
              says it is off the right side of the main road (Al 65) that runs from US hwy
              72 up Paint Rock Valley ,on Co Rd 12, about 10 miles from the 72
              intersection. That is in the Hollytree community out near the Williams Cove
              Church.

              Some of these old cemeteries are difficult to locate without local
              knowledge.

              There is a James Edward Rouse (he is about 65 years old) who lives in the
              valley married to a Mavis Ellen Roberts

              He may know about the Rouses of that area.

              > From: "Mike Cummons" <cummons@...>
              >
              > Richard,
              >
              > Thanks so much for the response. I was surprised to see Rouse Cemetery.
              > think I've downloaded your family tree from your Matthews web page---I did
              > that a couple of years ago. Do you know anything about Jesse Rouse?
              >
              > Thanks again for the response
              >
              > Georgia

            • Richard Matthews
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
                > From: MaryWinn@...
                >
                > Richard,
                > I don't find any Rouses in Paint Rock Valley Pioneers that match yours.
                > marywinn@...

                Not being critical of any of our local history books, but there are tons of
                information that is not included in them about many of our local families.
                We are lucky to have had the dedicated writers who have given what we do
                have though.

                My 2nd great grand dad's (James) oldest brother John Thomas Mathews was one
                of the early settlers of the upper end of the Hurricane Creek area of Paint
                Rock Valley. His wife was Elizabeth Sanders. Their youngest daughter,
                Amanda, married Jesse Rouse, one of the Paint Rock valley Rouse boys. John
                and Elizabeth moved on to Johnson County, Arkansas after the War between the
                States. Some of his children moved on with him. John was born in Big Coon,
                just up and over the mountain there at Hytop down in Matthews Cove. He died
                in Arkansas in 1871 and his wife and some children moved back. to Jackson
                County. Amanda married after their return.

                Richard
              • MaryWinn@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 13, 1999
                  Hello Richard, your point is well taken; however, Paint Rock Valley Pioneers
                  is only a cemetery listing. There are no biographies, etc., just some
                  comment on a few of the people that the writers knew. It also doesn't give
                  info about the people I am searching who have been there since very early
                  times. I'm located down here in Florida away from being able to research
                  things in those counties, and have only the Paint Rock Valley Pioneers book
                  as a research tool other than the internet. When a name comes over the list,
                  as a courtesy, I check the book. This list has been wonderful on info that I
                  have used, and I want to give back when I can.
                  Regards
                  marywinn@...
                • Richard Matthews
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 13, 1999
                    Hello Mary,

                    Your input is very much appreciated too. I don't have ready access to the
                    Paint Rock Pioneers book and I am sure many others don't either, so your
                    input is valuable.

                    Everyone researching Jackson County can benefit greatly from active
                    participation on the discussion group . . . . . . . . . plus, it's a lot of
                    fun and you meet so many nice folks like you.

                    Richard