Riley's Creek

  • pattywoo@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2001
      On the map that Richard just posted there is a Riley's Creek across
      the Tennessee River from Bellefonte. Does anyone know how it got its
      name?

      I also noticed that Sand Mountain was called Racoon Mountain north of
      Raccoon Creek. Today Raccoon Creek is called South Coon Creek. Does
      anyone know any history about the name changes for either of these?

      Thanks.
      Patty Woodall
    • Richard Matthews
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2001
        Patty,

        Old maps are an interest of mine and I have seen many of our area. On the
        very old maps in settlement days, our Big coon creek was called Richland
        Creek. map making in those days was not an exact art and it seems that map
        makers from different countries had their own name for many of the new
        world's features. As white men settled here they used some of their own
        names, sometimes adopting the name used by the indians, sometimes not.

        Riley, as you know, was a local indian, and his granted acreage was known as
        Riley's reservation, still is. It was in the Goosepond area, I believe.
        there is also a Riley Cove, just over Tater Knob north of Scottsboro. I'm
        assuming our present day Jone's Creek was at one time Riley's. Jones was
        probably a white settler in the Jones Cove area.

        The map I posted the other day was a Union made map for wartime uses. Whose
        to say if they had all their names straight or not. I've seen maps that call
        all of Sand Mountain "Racoon Mountain". I would assume the name "South
        Racoon Creek" was used because just north of it is our Big Raccon Creek and
        Little Racoon Creek. Must have been some nice coons in those areas . .
        .still are.

        Happy 4th to all . . fly your flags

        Richard

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 4, 2001
          Richard
          I think that my wife and I may have met you about six months ago at the
          Scottsboro Library. My name is Charles Boyd and her name is Barbara we are
          from a sw suburb of Chicago Ill. I have forgoptten my ID and password for
          jacksongenealogy or yahoo and I would very much like to see that map of
          Bellefonte/Subtle in the 1860's. Also is there a listing for the graves in
          Carr cemetery. My email address is ZRCB@.... Have a happy 4th.
          Chuck
        • Richard Matthews
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 5, 2001
            Hello Charles,

            I do remember meeting an out of town couple at the library on a visit but
            my memory is not great.

            I will send you a copy of the map from work tomorrow, it is there and I am
            home right now.

            Thanks,

          • zrcb@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6, 2001
              Richard
              Thank you very much. Chuck
            • Richard Matthews
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 6, 2001
                Here is the map

                richard
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 6, 2001
                  Here is the map reference Patty

                  http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?gmd:6:./temp/~ammem_ciKU::.

                  The Library of Congress information is:

                  [S1.] H. Linderkohl & Chas. G. Krebs, lith [1864?]

                  Hope this helps you locate Bolivar.

                  Richard