Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Sublett Ferry

  • Richard Matthews
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2001
      Sublett's is the ferry that was at the river dock area at the old town of
      Bellefonte and is just north of Jones cove on the river. The landing area is
      still observable and the old road still winds down Sand mountain to the
      ferry. There were numerous ferries in the county in the early years. The
      last ferry at Reese closed more than a decade ago, if my memory serves me
      correctly. Only two bridges cross the river in Jackson county. One at
      Stevenson and the one at Scottsboro. Caperton's Ferry played a big part in
      the WBTS. The Union built a pontoon bridge across the river ther that
      allowed tens of thousands of union soldiers to march across sand mountain
      and on the Chattanooga for the fierce fighting there.

      Feature Name St County Equivalent Name Type USGS 7.5' Map

      Caldwell Ferry (historical) AL Jackson locale 343540N 0860127W Langston
      Caperton Ferry AL Jackson locale 345008N 0854813W Stevenson
      Coffeys Ferry AL Jackson locale 344526N 0855133W Stevenson
      Hales Ferry (historical) AL Jackson locale 343938N 0855727W Hollywood
      Hales Ferry Gap AL Jackson gap 343954N 0855749W Hollywood
      Island Creek Ferry (historical) AL Jackson locale 345404N 0854258W
      Bridgeport
      Larkin Ferry (historical) AL Jackson locale 343355N 0860433W Langston
      McGuinns Ferry (historical) AL Jackson locale 343855N 0855740W Hollywood
      Reese Ferry AL Jackson locale 345532N 0854138W Bridgeport
      Reese Ferry Landing AL Jackson locale 345527N 0854128W Bridgeport
      Ridleys Ferry (historical) AL Jackson locale 345233N 0854527W Doran Cove
      Rudders Ferry (historical) AL Jackson crossing 345130N 0854630W Stevenson
      Section Ferry (historical) AL Jackson crossing 343620N 0860044W Langston
      Snodgrass Ferry (historical) AL Jackson crossing 343815N 0855830W Hollywood
      Starke Ferry (historical) AL Jackson crossing 344306N 0855401W Hollywood
      Sublett Ferry (historical) AL Jackson crossing 344108N 0855536W Hollywood
      Whites Ferry (historical) AL Jackson crossing 344225N 0855438W Hollywood

      From: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Thursday, June 28, 2001 5:08 AM
      Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Digest Number 329

      >There are 5 messages in this issue.
      >
      >Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. Re: Digest Number 328
      > From: Dana0333@...
      > 2. Re: Chap Hampton
      > From: taterib@...
      > 3. Black Ankle Cemetary
      > From: sammc1973@...
      > 4. Arnold
      > From: MISTYDAWNDAVIS@...
      > 5. Re: Black Ankle Cemetary
      > From: shirjoyce@...

      >Message: 1
      > Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:00:39 EDT
      > From: Dana0333@...
      >Subject: Re: Digest Number 328
      >
      >Re: Digest Number 328
      >
      >Judy,
      >
      > The AR at Franklin Co. Library in Winchester TN has micro film on Jackson
      >Co. Ala. also.
      >
      > Reason Being back during the war, Franklin Co. wasn't declared by TN or
      Ala,
      >for quite some time.
      >

      >Donna Ashley
      >Huntland TN

      >Message: 2
      > Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 18:55:46 -0000
      > From: taterib@...
      >Subject: Re: Chap Hampton
      >
      >Sorry I cleared your email out by mistake. Need to chat with you
      >about your Chap Hampton. He maybe connected to to my Hampton line. I
      >have (2) Chapley Hampton's and a Chap Hampton also. Would like info
      >on the Charles Hampton you spoke about in your posting to me.
      >Thanks Judy

      >Message: 3
      > Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 21:31:04 -0000
      > From: sammc1973@...
      >Subject: Black Ankle Cemetary
      >
      >Does anyone know or has ever heard of a cemetary called Black Ankle?
      >It is supposed to be on the road that goes through Hollywood Al on
      >the left. I was told this is where my great grandmother Martha
      >Samira Oliver is buried.

      >Message: 4
      > Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:32:51 EDT
      > From: MISTYDAWNDAVIS@...
      >Subject: Arnold
      >
      >Does anyone have any information on Arnolds in jackson county? My
      >grandfather was William Bogart Arnold, and his mother was Molly Davis
      Arnold.

    • Taterib@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2001
        Whoever asked about the ferryman's name that ran the ferry. A friend that
        lives there said to look on census 1850/1860. It list the person name and
        occupation. Probably last name most likely "Sublett".

        Judy

      • sromanek
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 15, 2001
          Ruby,
          I hate to ask, but could you find out if your mother ever knew of a Malinda Johnston who married a William Washington Kirksey. She was from Jackson County, which is also where they married. They married, but divorced several years later. I am not sure if she re-married again or not. I assume she might have being so young with the first marriage, (17) and possibly divorced by age 20. She and my great grandfather split up when my Granny was young, and she was born in 1884. Her mother Martha Ellen Shrader married first William Thomas Johnston, and then later a James Millican. I have notes from my Grandmother Lillie Mae Kirksey Dover that say Malinda died March of 1913 in Wannville, but I have not been able to confirm that. I have found no death records or burial records that match when I have looked for them the few times I have been able to get to the area to try to find something. I would be forever grateful if I could find someone who knew anything about her at all. She would have only been 49 when she died. I would give my eye teeth as the saying goes to find out more. This is one of my brick walls I want to break down the most. I would appreciate any help you or anyone else on the list could give with this.

          Thanks,
          Sharon Dover Romanek
          Fax:( 305)675-8045.
          e-mail: PRIMARY sromanek@...
          sromanek@...

          Researching: Romanek, Gucwa, Dover,Shrader, Tyner, Johnston, Williams, Edge, Smith, Kirksey, DeMers, Murphy, Allen

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 18, 2001
            Sharon,
            I'll be glad to ask mother about Malinda Johnston. Mother was born in 1911.
            If your great grandmother was born in 1884, it would be a real long shot if
            mom can remember what some old timer said about them. I've never known of
            any Kirksey's in the area. Jackson County is a big place, but you have
            narrowed it down somewhat. There is a Milligan home place next door to the
            Gray Homestead. I remember a Mrs. Baker living there, very old, when I was
            only three, living with Elmer Milligan and son, J. T. Milligan. Millican
            and Milligan probably are the same name with variant spellings. I've heard
            of Johnson's, but not Johnston's in our area. There are also Smiths and
            Allen's in our family tree, who lived in our neighborhood. I went to school
            with a Dora Nan Shrader in Pisgah High School, but have lost touch with her.
            I haven't seen her since 1956 when we graduated. I wish I could help. The
            past is so precious and sometimes very illusive. Good luck.