RE: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Sublett Ferry

  • rubyb@edge.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2001
      I know a little about the Sublett's Ferry, from my mother, Myrtle Gray
      Headrick. It was used to cross the Tennessee River before the Scottsboro
      Bridge was built in about 1938. Folks would come off Sand Mountain from
      Pisgah to George Town (a very old town-no longer there) about three miles
      from Pisgah. This dirt road lead from George Town down Sand Mountain, to
      Joneses Cove. It used to be a major route for folks going to Nashville to
      get supplies for the winter. I remember Grandpa James Monroe Gray tell me
      they used to ford the river in the dry season around July and August in
      wagons-that was long before the Sublett's Ferry, and long before the
      Scottsboro Bridge. My father, John Headrick told me that there was an Old
      Stage Coach road that came from Georgia down Lookout Mountain, through
      Valley Head, AL and past the Gray Homestead where we lived in Pisgah, and on
      to George Town and down the Sand Mountain, across the Tennessee River, North
      through Winchester and on to Nashville. This was the North/South Route.
      There was also and East/West Route. These were major routes for the Indians
      to use as they migrated with the change of seasons. The Gray family
      homesteaded land one mile from George Town and some of the family have lived
      there since before Alabama was a state. I don't remember being told who ran
      the ferry. I will ask my mother who is 90 and still living in the
      Scottsboro Nursing Home.

      Ruby

      From: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Thursday, June 28, 2001 5:08 AM
      Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Digest Number 329

      >There are 5 messages in this issue.
      >
      >Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. Re: Digest Number 328
      > From: Dana0333@...
      > 2. Re: Chap Hampton
      > From: taterib@...
      > 3. Black Ankle Cemetary
      > From: sammc1973@...
      > 4. Arnold
      > From: MISTYDAWNDAVIS@...
      > 5. Re: Black Ankle Cemetary
      > From: shirjoyce@...

      >Message: 1
      > Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 08:00:39 EDT
      > From: Dana0333@...
      >Subject: Re: Digest Number 328
      >
      >Re: Digest Number 328
      >
      >Judy,
      >
      > The AR at Franklin Co. Library in Winchester TN has micro film on Jackson
      >Co. Ala. also.
      >
      > Reason Being back during the war, Franklin Co. wasn't declared by TN or
      Ala,
      >for quite some time.
      >

      >Donna Ashley
      >Huntland TN

      >Message: 2
      > Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 18:55:46 -0000
      > From: taterib@...
      >Subject: Re: Chap Hampton
      >
      >Sorry I cleared your email out by mistake. Need to chat with you
      >about your Chap Hampton. He maybe connected to to my Hampton line. I
      >have (2) Chapley Hampton's and a Chap Hampton also. Would like info
      >on the Charles Hampton you spoke about in your posting to me.
      >Thanks Judy

      >Message: 3
      > Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 21:31:04 -0000
      > From: sammc1973@...
      >Subject: Black Ankle Cemetary
      >
      >Does anyone know or has ever heard of a cemetary called Black Ankle?
      >It is supposed to be on the road that goes through Hollywood Al on
      >the left. I was told this is where my great grandmother Martha
      >Samira Oliver is buried.

      >Message: 4
      > Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:32:51 EDT
      > From: MISTYDAWNDAVIS@...
      >Subject: Arnold
      >
      >Does anyone have any information on Arnolds in jackson county? My
      >grandfather was William Bogart Arnold, and his mother was Molly Davis
      Arnold.
      > Thanks a lot! Misty Davis

      >Message: 5
      > Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:39:56 EDT
      > From: shirjoyce@...
      >Subject: Re: Black Ankle Cemetary
      >
      >Blackankle is Northwest of Hollywood, AL on the Jackson Co., AL map.
      >
      >Directions are: go NW on 33 from Hwy. 72 near Hollywood. Turn left or go
      >West on 31 toward Pikeville. Turn Left or South on County Rd. 554. I do
      not
      >know if there is a cemetery there.
      >
      >Shirley

    • Richard Matthews
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2001
        Sublett's is the ferry that was at the river dock area at the old town of
        Bellefonte and is just north of Jones cove on the river. The landing area is
        still observable and the old road still winds down Sand mountain to the
        ferry. There were numerous ferries in the county in the early years. The
        last ferry at Reese closed more than a decade ago, if my memory serves me
        correctly. Only two bridges cross the river in Jackson county. One at
        Stevenson and the one at Scottsboro. Caperton's Ferry played a big part in
        the WBTS. The Union built a pontoon bridge across the river ther that
        allowed tens of thousands of union soldiers to march across sand mountain
        and on the Chattanooga for the fierce fighting there.

        Feature Name St County Equivalent Name Type USGS 7.5' Map

        Caldwell Ferry (historical) AL Jackson locale 343540N 0860127W Langston
        Caperton Ferry AL Jackson locale 345008N 0854813W Stevenson
        Coffeys Ferry AL Jackson locale 344526N 0855133W Stevenson
        Hales Ferry (historical) AL Jackson locale 343938N 0855727W Hollywood
        Hales Ferry Gap AL Jackson gap 343954N 0855749W Hollywood
        Island Creek Ferry (historical) AL Jackson locale 345404N 0854258W
        Bridgeport
        Larkin Ferry (historical) AL Jackson locale 343355N 0860433W Langston
        McGuinns Ferry (historical) AL Jackson locale 343855N 0855740W Hollywood
        Reese Ferry AL Jackson locale 345532N 0854138W Bridgeport
        Reese Ferry Landing AL Jackson locale 345527N 0854128W Bridgeport
        Ridleys Ferry (historical) AL Jackson locale 345233N 0854527W Doran Cove
        Rudders Ferry (historical) AL Jackson crossing 345130N 0854630W Stevenson
        Section Ferry (historical) AL Jackson crossing 343620N 0860044W Langston
        Snodgrass Ferry (historical) AL Jackson crossing 343815N 0855830W Hollywood
        Starke Ferry (historical) AL Jackson crossing 344306N 0855401W Hollywood
        Sublett Ferry (historical) AL Jackson crossing 344108N 0855536W Hollywood
        Whites Ferry (historical) AL Jackson crossing 344225N 0855438W Hollywood

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2001
          Whoever asked about the ferryman's name that ran the ferry. A friend that
          lives there said to look on census 1850/1860. It list the person name and
          occupation. Probably last name most likely "Sublett".

          Judy

        • sromanek
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 15, 2001
            Ruby,
            I hate to ask, but could you find out if your mother ever knew of a Malinda Johnston who married a William Washington Kirksey. She was from Jackson County, which is also where they married. They married, but divorced several years later. I am not sure if she re-married again or not. I assume she might have being so young with the first marriage, (17) and possibly divorced by age 20. She and my great grandfather split up when my Granny was young, and she was born in 1884. Her mother Martha Ellen Shrader married first William Thomas Johnston, and then later a James Millican. I have notes from my Grandmother Lillie Mae Kirksey Dover that say Malinda died March of 1913 in Wannville, but I have not been able to confirm that. I have found no death records or burial records that match when I have looked for them the few times I have been able to get to the area to try to find something. I would be forever grateful if I could find someone who knew anything about her at all. She would have only been 49 when she died. I would give my eye teeth as the saying goes to find out more. This is one of my brick walls I want to break down the most. I would appreciate any help you or anyone else on the list could give with this.

            Thanks,
            Sharon Dover Romanek
            Fax:( 305)675-8045.
            e-mail: PRIMARY sromanek@...
            sromanek@...

            Researching: Romanek, Gucwa, Dover,Shrader, Tyner, Johnston, Williams, Edge, Smith, Kirksey, DeMers, Murphy, Allen

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 18, 2001
              Sharon,
              I'll be glad to ask mother about Malinda Johnston. Mother was born in 1911.
              If your great grandmother was born in 1884, it would be a real long shot if
              mom can remember what some old timer said about them. I've never known of
              any Kirksey's in the area. Jackson County is a big place, but you have
              narrowed it down somewhat. There is a Milligan home place next door to the
              Gray Homestead. I remember a Mrs. Baker living there, very old, when I was
              only three, living with Elmer Milligan and son, J. T. Milligan. Millican
              and Milligan probably are the same name with variant spellings. I've heard
              of Johnson's, but not Johnston's in our area. There are also Smiths and
              Allen's in our family tree, who lived in our neighborhood. I went to school
              with a Dora Nan Shrader in Pisgah High School, but have lost touch with her.
              I haven't seen her since 1956 when we graduated. I wish I could help. The
              past is so precious and sometimes very illusive. Good luck.