James Madison Card

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2009
      James Madison Card. One of the vice presidents of the National
      Hardwood Lumber Association, and a man whose name and ability are
      recognized with admiration and esteem among lumber circles, not only
      in the south, but throughout the country, Mr. Card was president of
      the J. M. Card Lumber Co., one of the largest corporations of its kind
      in the south.

      James Madison Card was born November 15, 1868, in the old Holland
      homestead near Scottsboro, Ala., which has been in his mother's family
      since 1818. His father was Benjamin Card, a native of Bedford county,
      Tennessee, served through the Confederate army and spent all of his
      active career from the close of the Civil war in farming and
      contracting at Scottsboro, Ala. His death occurred at the age of
      fifty-four, in 1904. His grandfather, Samuel Hughes Card, was born in
      Cumberland, Md., in 1800, and moved to Bedford county, Tennessee, in
      1906. He was married, in 1821, to Peggy Story Neal, daughter of Jos.
      Neal and Polly Thompson Neal, of South Carolina, who was a great-aunt
      of General Waddy Thompson. His great-grandfather, William Card, was
      born in Cumberland, Md., in 1774. He was married to Miss Sally Hughes,
      daughter of Samuel Hughes of Virginia.

      The mother of J. M. Card was Maria Holland, who was born in Alabama
      and lived in Hollywood in that state. Newton Holland, her father, was
      a farmer near Scottsboro, Alabama, and married a daughter of Major
      Thomas A. Wilson. Thos. A. Wilson was born in Virginia and moved to
      Alabama when quite a young man and was prominent in the early history
      of Alabama and was state senator for a number of years. Newton Holland
      was a son of James Holland. James Holland's father was William
      Holland, who immigrated from Virginia to Tennessee about 1780,
      locating near Elizabethton. He served in the War of 1812, and was also
      a veteran of the Revolution. The Holland family in this branch is
      descended from one of seven brothers who came from England, about
      1710, and made their homes in Virginia. Mr. Card's ancestors on both
      sides participated in the Revolution and the War of 1812. J. M. Card
      was the oldest of three brothers and four sisters. His brother Samuel
      H. Card was in the insurance business in Birmingham, Alabama, and his
      brother William was in the lumber business at Tuscaloosa, Alabama,

      James Madison Card grew up at Scottsboro, received his education in
      the college and grammar schools, where he was graduated in the class
      of 1893. He was engaged in the lumber business since 1894. He had a
      very interesting career and at every step of the way proved his
      manhood in a fashion that won him the admiration of all who know him.
      He started in the cedar lumber business when he was yet a boy, and
      earned the money which enabled him to pay his expenses when he went
      through school. There is no business man in eastern Tennessee who made
      a harder struggle to reach his position in the business world than the
      man whom his friends love to call "Jim" Card. A southern gentleman in
      every sense of the word was Mr. Card; square in all his dealings;
      warm-hearted, clear-headed and a lover of his kind. While was is an
      aggressive business man he has a heart of great gentleness, and one of
      the pleasing incidents connected with his career is that after he had
      got his start in business, his first investment was in the old home
      place in the neighborhood of Scottsboro, the Holland farm, which he
      presented as a gift to his mother. a buying and wholesale department
      wss added, and a general office established in Scottsboro, and on the
      retirement of Mr. Cunningham the business became known as J. M. Card &
      Company

      In 1900 owing to the increased prosperity of the business, which
      included a considerable share of export trade, Mr. Card made a change
      of location to Chattanooga. In 1901 his business was reorganized as
      the J. M. Card Lumber Company, with Mr. Card as president and" Fred Am
      as secretary-treasurer. This is a close corporation. On transferring
      the headquarters to Chattanooga, a wholesale yard was established in
      the city, and since then it has been necessary to add manufacturing
      operations. The company owned and operated three mills, one in
      Chattanooga, one on the Southern Railway between this city and Memphis
      and one at Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The company to some extent also
      handled the output of other mills and shipped its product all over the
      world. The mill at Tuscaloosa was organized under the name of the
      Crabtree Lumber Company, and has been working up both pine and
      hardwood lumber. The Oak Lumber Company of Paint Rock specialized in
      the manufacture of poplar and oak from the mountains in north Alabama.
      The company constantly added to its facilities for manufacture and h
      raised its grade, so that its product had a reputation at home and
      abroad, resulting in a steady increase of the export trade.

      The career of Mr. Card was especially noteworthy outside of his
      individual accomplishments in building up the J. M. Card Lumber
      Company for his relations with the lumber organizations of the south
      and of the entire country. In June, 1912, at the fifteenth annual
      convention of the National Hardwood Lumber Association in Chicago, Mr.
      Card was honored with the office of vice-president.

      At Scottsboro, Alabama, February 22, 1904, Mr. Card married Miss Anita
      Arn, a daughter of Guff Arn of that place. They had one daughter,
      Anita,.

      At Scottsboro, Mr. Card established a sawmill with H. M. Cunningham,
      and the partners for some time had to stop the operation of the little
      mill every third day in order to allow the crew to stack the lumber
      which had been sawed. In 1896, Mr. Card bought out his partner,
      Cunningham, and his own energy and industry were responsible for the
      subsequent steady growth and enlargement of the business.
    • DrKirby25@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2009
        Richard Hi,
        James Madison Card was my Grandmother's (Sarah Margaret Card ) Brother. She
        married Harrison Macon Cunningham and had my Mother Bertha Cunningham
        Kirby.
        Jim Macon Kirby

        In a message dated 2/5/2009 5:08:52 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        messabout@... writes:

[...]

        as secretary-treasureras secretary-treasurer<WBR>. This is a close corpor
[...]

        **************Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on
        AOL Music.
        (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?ncid=emlcntusmusi00000001)

      • Richard Matthews
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2009
          Hello Jim,

          This just shows how broad this list is. I've posted two items that I thought
          might be of interest and both times someone on the list had a connection.
          Mr. Card must have been quite a gentlemen.

          I really enjoy finding articles on some of Scottsboro's bygone citizens.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5, 2009
            I never knew him. I was born in Maynard's Cove at Tupelo at the home of my
            grandparents H.M Cunningham and Sarah Margaret Card in 1925. My Mother
            wasBertha Cunningham married to Clarence B. Kirby
            Jim Macon Kirby