Re: [jacksongenealogy] Lawerence Edward Brown

  • Malbuff
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
      Richard, what's your source here? The Browns of Jackson county are distant cousins
      of mine, through my Snodgrass and Dillard lines. Lawrence Edward Brown's aunt,
      Mary (Mollie) Brown, married Colonel John Snodgrass in 1862. His grandfather,
      Jeremiah "Jerry" Brown, hired my great-grandfather, 16-year-old W L Stephens,
      as law clerk before the younger man went off to Cumberland College.

      Thanks for the post, and I'd like to cite the source in my records.

      Glory to God,

      David Malbuff
      Strasburg, Virginia

      BROWN, LAWRENCE EDWARD, lawyer, was born August 4, 1876, at
      Scottsboro; son of Jesse Edward and Virginia Elizabeth (Wood) Brown
      (q. v.); grandson of Jeremiah and Mary Magadalien (Williams) Brown,
      and of Dr. Ira Goff and Elvira Ann (Dillard) Wood. He received his
      education from Trl-State University, at Scottsboro, and from the
      University of Virginia. He was admitted to the bar and began the
      practice of law at Scottsboro. He enlisted in the U. S. Army, 1898, as
      battalion adjutant of the First Alabama infantry, U. S. volunteers,
      and served through the Spanish- American war with the rank of first
      lieutenant. He moved to Montgomery and continued his practice there,
      and was appointed in 1919, assistant attorney general of Alabama. He
      is a Democrat and an Episcopalian. Residence: Scottsboro.

    • Richard Matthews
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
        Certainly.

        "History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography" by Thomas McAdory
        Owen LL.D.
        Chicago, S.J. Clark Publishing Company 1921

        On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Malbuff <malbuff@...> wrote:

        > Richard, what's your source here? The Browns of Jackson county are
        > distant cousins
        > of mine, through my Snodgrass and Dillard lines. Lawrence Edward Brown's
        > aunt,
        > Mary (Mollie) Brown, married Colonel John Snodgrass in 1862. His
        > grandfather,
        > Jeremiah "Jerry" Brown, hired my great-grandfather, 16-year-old W L
        > Stephens,
        > as law clerk before the younger man went off to Cumberland College.
        >
        > Thanks for the post, and I'd like to cite the source in my records.
        >
        > Glory to God,
        >
        > David Malbuff
        > Strasburg, Virginia

      • macatjax
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Richard Matthews
          <messabout@...> wrote:

          > Certainly.
          >
          > "History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography" by Thomas
          McAdory
          > Owen LL.D.
          > Chicago, S.J. Clark Publishing Company 1921

          > On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Malbuff <malbuff@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Richard, what's your source here? The Browns of Jackson county
          are
          > > distant cousins
          > > of mine, through my Snodgrass and Dillard lines. Lawrence Edward
          Brown's
          > > aunt,
          > > Mary (Mollie) Brown, married Colonel John Snodgrass in 1862. His
          > > grandfather,
          > > Jeremiah "Jerry" Brown, hired my great-grandfather, 16-year-old W
          > > Stephens,
          > > as law clerk before the younger man went off to Cumberland
          College.

          > > Thanks for the post, and I'd like to cite the source in my
          records.

          > > Glory to God,
          > >
          > > David Malbuff
          > > Strasburg, Virginia

          I have a bio. for Jesse E. Brown somewhere in my files, but it's too
          cold to get them from the file cabinet and, by the way, I live in N.
          FL. Also, have one for Gen. Coffey.

          MJ

        • KLinge6131@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
            Do you have a record of Lawerence Edward Browns spouse and children?KM
            Lingenfelter

          • nettiebau1952
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
              This book is available on Google Books.

              http://books.google.com/books?
              id=r0kUAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Alabama+history

              I am astounded what I have found on google books lately.

              Annette Bradford

              <messabout@...> wrote:

              > Certainly.
              >
              > "History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography" by Thomas
              McAdory
              > Owen LL.D.
              > Chicago, S.J. Clark Publishing Company 1921

              > On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Malbuff <malbuff@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Richard, what's your source here? The Browns of Jackson county
              are
              > > distant cousins
              > > of mine, through my Snodgrass and Dillard lines. Lawrence Edward
              Brown's
              > > aunt,
              > > Mary (Mollie) Brown, married Colonel John Snodgrass in 1862. His
              > > grandfather,
              > > Jeremiah "Jerry" Brown, hired my great-grandfather, 16-year-old W
              > > Stephens,
              > > as law clerk before the younger man went off to Cumberland
              College.

              > > Thanks for the post, and I'd like to cite the source in my
              records.

              > > Glory to God,
              > >
              > > David Malbuff
              > > Strasburg, Virginia

            • JLH
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 6, 2009
                Did you run across any information about Hamilton's?

                John

                _____

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 9, 2009
                  No, sorry, not yet

                  On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:24 AM, JLH <hkatherinejohn@...> wrote:

                  > Did you run across any information about Hamilton's?
                  >
                  > John
                  >
                  > _____

                • JLH
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 9, 2009
                    Thanks I appreciate it. It appears no one here knows anything about the
                    Hamilton's of Section. There were 2 William Alford Hamilton's, father and
                    son. The Father died on the trial removing Indians to Oklahoma but it was in
                    the winter so they were able to bring him home to be buried at Bluff
                    cemetery. They are all buried there the son was my grandfather he had two
                    children Robert Varnell Hamilton was my father, his brother was Valder
                    Curtis. My mother Jewell Wilma Treece is buried there at Bluff Cemetery as
                    well. It said that the original one came from South Carolina. I have seen
                    that on a census report but that seems to be the end for me as far as my
                    Hamilton's goes.

                    Joh Hamilton

                    _____