Re: Lawerence Edward Brown

  • macatjax
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Richard Matthews
      <messabout@...> wrote:

      > > I just ran across the information in an old book and thought some
      list
      > > member might use the information

      > > Richard,
      > >
      > > Why did you post this bio of Lawrence Brown? These are my Browns
      and
      > > I have been working on them for a long time. Jesse Edward was the
      > > brother of my G-Grandfather, Sen. Charles Wm. Brown (marr. Sarah
      B.
      > > Coffey). I don't know of any other descendants living from this
      > > Brown family. Sen. Brown and Sallie had 4 daughters and only two
      had
      > > descendants and they are my family.
      > >
      > > M. Johnson

      Richard,

      As far I can tell, there is no one working on them except me and I
      have searched everything I can find. Nothing ever turns up.
      Lawrence Brown family. I certainly wish that I could find someone who
      is a descendant of my Browns.

      However, a lot of people on this site have family who lived in the
      Limrock, Aspel, Peter's Cove area. If any of them run across any
      information about them, it would be great!

      John Brown married Nancy Cotton Bridges and they came to AL from NC.
      This is unproven, but told as family history.

      There are three marriage records in Madison Co. for John L. A., Jesse
      F., and Jeremiah Brown and they all married Moore females
      in 1826-7. I think we can assume they were brothers and about the
      same age.

      Jeremiah Brown (1800-1866) married #1 Lavenis Moore 1826. They had
      the following children:

      Martha Brown (marr. W. J. Tipton). Their children: John, Bridges,
      and Lewis Tipton.

      Nancy Brown (marr. Mr. ? Yates and nothing else is know. Posssibly
      moved to MS).

      John A. Brown (marr: Judith America Wisdom). Their children: John
      E., T. N., Mattie, M. V. (female) and Penelope. He built the Brown-
      Proctor House in Scottsboro.

      Bridges J. Brown died during the Civil War unmarried.

      Jeremiah Brown married lastly Mary Ann Williams (dau. of Samuel
      Williams, Jr. and Margaret Guinn). Their children were:

      Mary Jane Brown (Marr. Col. John Snodgrass)

      Jesse Edward Brown (marr: Virginia E. Wood). Their children were:
      Zaida, Lawrence E., Jessie L. (F), Clifford, and Virginia May.

      Margaret Ann Epps Brown (marr. Wm. H. Payne)

      *Charles Wm. Brown (1854-1940) marr. Sarah Belle Coffey (dau. of Gen.
      John Reid Coffey and Mary Ann Cross). He attended West Point;
      graduated from the Univ. of AL, worked in the State of AL office of
      Education, Newspaper Editor, Merchant, Poet, and State Senator of AL
      (1911-1914). He was thrown into the River and almost drowned and as
      a result became extremely deaf and had to leave West Point. Later
      on, he and the family moved to Bridgeport and lived there for the
      rest of their lives. They are buried in Mt. Carmel Cem. along with
      their two unmarried daughters.

      NOTES: Gen. Coffey bought the Brown-Proctor House from a Mr. Brooks
      in June 1884 and Sen. Brown and family lived there for a while. The
      house was sold in 1907 to Mr. Proctor.

      I have only recently learned of another John Brown who emigrated to
      the Flint River along with the Sprowls and others. He is not mine.
      He later moved on to LA, so now there is another puzzle to solve. I
      had always been told that Brownsboro was named for mine.

      Mary Ann (Williams) Brown is buried in the old part of Cedar Hill
      along with some of her children. It is unknown where Jeremiah Brown
      was buried, but possibly on his land. There are a lot of land patents
      for him, but I cannot say exactly where this land was located. If
      anyone can help with this, let me know.

      Except for those I have indicated, most of these Browns lived and
      died in Scottsboro.

      Also, it is possible that Nancy Cotton Bridges could be related to
      other Bridges or Cotton families in the area, but so far I see no
      evidence to connect them.

      M. Johnson

      > --
      > Richard Matthews

    • Malbuff
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
        Richard, what's your source here? The Browns of Jackson county are distant cousins
        of mine, through my Snodgrass and Dillard lines. Lawrence Edward Brown's aunt,
        Mary (Mollie) Brown, married Colonel John Snodgrass in 1862. His grandfather,
        Jeremiah "Jerry" Brown, hired my great-grandfather, 16-year-old W L Stephens,
        as law clerk before the younger man went off to Cumberland College.

        Thanks for the post, and I'd like to cite the source in my records.

        Glory to God,

        David Malbuff
        Strasburg, Virginia

        BROWN, LAWRENCE EDWARD, lawyer, was born August 4, 1876, at
        Scottsboro; son of Jesse Edward and Virginia Elizabeth (Wood) Brown
        (q. v.); grandson of Jeremiah and Mary Magadalien (Williams) Brown,
        and of Dr. Ira Goff and Elvira Ann (Dillard) Wood. He received his
        education from Trl-State University, at Scottsboro, and from the
        University of Virginia. He was admitted to the bar and began the
        practice of law at Scottsboro. He enlisted in the U. S. Army, 1898, as
        battalion adjutant of the First Alabama infantry, U. S. volunteers,
        and served through the Spanish- American war with the rank of first
        lieutenant. He moved to Montgomery and continued his practice there,
        and was appointed in 1919, assistant attorney general of Alabama. He
        is a Democrat and an Episcopalian. Residence: Scottsboro.

      • Richard Matthews
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
          Certainly.

          "History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography" by Thomas McAdory
          Owen LL.D.
          Chicago, S.J. Clark Publishing Company 1921

          On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Malbuff <malbuff@...> wrote:

          > Richard, what's your source here? The Browns of Jackson county are
          > distant cousins
          > of mine, through my Snodgrass and Dillard lines. Lawrence Edward Brown's
          > aunt,
          > Mary (Mollie) Brown, married Colonel John Snodgrass in 1862. His
          > grandfather,
          > Jeremiah "Jerry" Brown, hired my great-grandfather, 16-year-old W L
          > Stephens,
          > as law clerk before the younger man went off to Cumberland College.
          >
          > Thanks for the post, and I'd like to cite the source in my records.
          >
          > Glory to God,
          >
          > David Malbuff
          > Strasburg, Virginia

        • macatjax
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
            <messabout@...> wrote:

            > Certainly.
            >
            > "History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography" by Thomas
            McAdory
            > Owen LL.D.
            > Chicago, S.J. Clark Publishing Company 1921

            > On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Malbuff <malbuff@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Richard, what's your source here? The Browns of Jackson county
            are
            > > distant cousins
            > > of mine, through my Snodgrass and Dillard lines. Lawrence Edward
            Brown's
            > > aunt,
            > > Mary (Mollie) Brown, married Colonel John Snodgrass in 1862. His
            > > grandfather,
            > > Jeremiah "Jerry" Brown, hired my great-grandfather, 16-year-old W
            > > Stephens,
            > > as law clerk before the younger man went off to Cumberland
            College.

            > > Thanks for the post, and I'd like to cite the source in my
            records.

            > > Glory to God,
            > >
            > > David Malbuff
            > > Strasburg, Virginia

            I have a bio. for Jesse E. Brown somewhere in my files, but it's too
            cold to get them from the file cabinet and, by the way, I live in N.
            FL. Also, have one for Gen. Coffey.

            MJ

          • KLinge6131@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
              Do you have a record of Lawerence Edward Browns spouse and children?KM
              Lingenfelter

            • nettiebau1952
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                This book is available on Google Books.

                http://books.google.com/books?
                id=r0kUAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Alabama+history

                I am astounded what I have found on google books lately.

                Annette Bradford

                <messabout@...> wrote:

                > Certainly.
                >
                > "History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography" by Thomas
                McAdory
                > Owen LL.D.
                > Chicago, S.J. Clark Publishing Company 1921

                > On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Malbuff <malbuff@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Richard, what's your source here? The Browns of Jackson county
                are
                > > distant cousins
                > > of mine, through my Snodgrass and Dillard lines. Lawrence Edward
                Brown's
                > > aunt,
                > > Mary (Mollie) Brown, married Colonel John Snodgrass in 1862. His
                > > grandfather,
                > > Jeremiah "Jerry" Brown, hired my great-grandfather, 16-year-old W
                > > Stephens,
                > > as law clerk before the younger man went off to Cumberland
                College.

                > > Thanks for the post, and I'd like to cite the source in my
                records.

                > > Glory to God,
                > >
                > > David Malbuff
                > > Strasburg, Virginia

              • JLH
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 6, 2009
                  Did you run across any information about Hamilton's?

                  John

                  _____

                  --
                  Richard Matthews

                • Richard Matthews
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 9, 2009
                    No, sorry, not yet

                    On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:24 AM, JLH <hkatherinejohn@...> wrote:

                    > Did you run across any information about Hamilton's?
                    >
                    > John
                    >
                    > _____

                  • JLH
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 9, 2009
                      Thanks I appreciate it. It appears no one here knows anything about the
                      Hamilton's of Section. There were 2 William Alford Hamilton's, father and
                      son. The Father died on the trial removing Indians to Oklahoma but it was in
                      the winter so they were able to bring him home to be buried at Bluff
                      cemetery. They are all buried there the son was my grandfather he had two
                      children Robert Varnell Hamilton was my father, his brother was Valder
                      Curtis. My mother Jewell Wilma Treece is buried there at Bluff Cemetery as
                      well. It said that the original one came from South Carolina. I have seen
                      that on a census report but that seems to be the end for me as far as my
                      Hamilton's goes.

                      Joh Hamilton

                      _____