Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Lawerence Edward Brown

  • Richard Matthews
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009

      --
      Richard Matthews

    • macatjax
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Richard Matthews
        <messabout@...> wrote:

        > > I just ran across the information in an old book and thought some
        list
        > > member might use the information

        > > Richard,
        > >
        > > Why did you post this bio of Lawrence Brown? These are my Browns
        and
        > > I have been working on them for a long time. Jesse Edward was the
        > > brother of my G-Grandfather, Sen. Charles Wm. Brown (marr. Sarah
        B.
        > > Coffey). I don't know of any other descendants living from this
        > > Brown family. Sen. Brown and Sallie had 4 daughters and only two
        had
        > > descendants and they are my family.
        > >
        > > M. Johnson

        Richard,

        As far I can tell, there is no one working on them except me and I
        have searched everything I can find. Nothing ever turns up.
        Lawrence Brown family. I certainly wish that I could find someone who
        is a descendant of my Browns.

        However, a lot of people on this site have family who lived in the
        Limrock, Aspel, Peter's Cove area. If any of them run across any
        information about them, it would be great!

        John Brown married Nancy Cotton Bridges and they came to AL from NC.
        This is unproven, but told as family history.

        There are three marriage records in Madison Co. for John L. A., Jesse
        F., and Jeremiah Brown and they all married Moore females
        in 1826-7. I think we can assume they were brothers and about the
        same age.

        Jeremiah Brown (1800-1866) married #1 Lavenis Moore 1826. They had
        the following children:

        Martha Brown (marr. W. J. Tipton). Their children: John, Bridges,
        and Lewis Tipton.

        Nancy Brown (marr. Mr. ? Yates and nothing else is know. Posssibly
        moved to MS).

        John A. Brown (marr: Judith America Wisdom). Their children: John
        E., T. N., Mattie, M. V. (female) and Penelope. He built the Brown-
        Proctor House in Scottsboro.

        Bridges J. Brown died during the Civil War unmarried.

        Jeremiah Brown married lastly Mary Ann Williams (dau. of Samuel
        Williams, Jr. and Margaret Guinn). Their children were:

        Mary Jane Brown (Marr. Col. John Snodgrass)

        Jesse Edward Brown (marr: Virginia E. Wood). Their children were:
        Zaida, Lawrence E., Jessie L. (F), Clifford, and Virginia May.

        Margaret Ann Epps Brown (marr. Wm. H. Payne)

        *Charles Wm. Brown (1854-1940) marr. Sarah Belle Coffey (dau. of Gen.
        John Reid Coffey and Mary Ann Cross). He attended West Point;
        graduated from the Univ. of AL, worked in the State of AL office of
        Education, Newspaper Editor, Merchant, Poet, and State Senator of AL
        (1911-1914). He was thrown into the River and almost drowned and as
        a result became extremely deaf and had to leave West Point. Later
        on, he and the family moved to Bridgeport and lived there for the
        rest of their lives. They are buried in Mt. Carmel Cem. along with
        their two unmarried daughters.

        NOTES: Gen. Coffey bought the Brown-Proctor House from a Mr. Brooks
        in June 1884 and Sen. Brown and family lived there for a while. The
        house was sold in 1907 to Mr. Proctor.

        I have only recently learned of another John Brown who emigrated to
        the Flint River along with the Sprowls and others. He is not mine.
        He later moved on to LA, so now there is another puzzle to solve. I
        had always been told that Brownsboro was named for mine.

        Mary Ann (Williams) Brown is buried in the old part of Cedar Hill
        along with some of her children. It is unknown where Jeremiah Brown
        was buried, but possibly on his land. There are a lot of land patents
        for him, but I cannot say exactly where this land was located. If
        anyone can help with this, let me know.

        Except for those I have indicated, most of these Browns lived and
        died in Scottsboro.

        Also, it is possible that Nancy Cotton Bridges could be related to
        other Bridges or Cotton families in the area, but so far I see no
        evidence to connect them.

        M. Johnson

        > --
        > Richard Matthews

      • Malbuff
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
          Richard, what's your source here? The Browns of Jackson county are distant cousins
          of mine, through my Snodgrass and Dillard lines. Lawrence Edward Brown's aunt,
          Mary (Mollie) Brown, married Colonel John Snodgrass in 1862. His grandfather,
          Jeremiah "Jerry" Brown, hired my great-grandfather, 16-year-old W L Stephens,
          as law clerk before the younger man went off to Cumberland College.

          Thanks for the post, and I'd like to cite the source in my records.

          Glory to God,

          David Malbuff
          Strasburg, Virginia

          BROWN, LAWRENCE EDWARD, lawyer, was born August 4, 1876, at
          Scottsboro; son of Jesse Edward and Virginia Elizabeth (Wood) Brown
          (q. v.); grandson of Jeremiah and Mary Magadalien (Williams) Brown,
          and of Dr. Ira Goff and Elvira Ann (Dillard) Wood. He received his
          education from Trl-State University, at Scottsboro, and from the
          University of Virginia. He was admitted to the bar and began the
          practice of law at Scottsboro. He enlisted in the U. S. Army, 1898, as
          battalion adjutant of the First Alabama infantry, U. S. volunteers,
          and served through the Spanish- American war with the rank of first
          lieutenant. He moved to Montgomery and continued his practice there,
          and was appointed in 1919, assistant attorney general of Alabama. He
          is a Democrat and an Episcopalian. Residence: Scottsboro.

        • Richard Matthews
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
            Certainly.

            "History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography" by Thomas McAdory
            Owen LL.D.
            Chicago, S.J. Clark Publishing Company 1921

            On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Malbuff <malbuff@...> wrote:

            > Richard, what's your source here? The Browns of Jackson county are
            > distant cousins
            > of mine, through my Snodgrass and Dillard lines. Lawrence Edward Brown's
            > aunt,
            > Mary (Mollie) Brown, married Colonel John Snodgrass in 1862. His
            > grandfather,
            > Jeremiah "Jerry" Brown, hired my great-grandfather, 16-year-old W L
            > Stephens,
            > as law clerk before the younger man went off to Cumberland College.
            >
            > Thanks for the post, and I'd like to cite the source in my records.
            >
            > Glory to God,
            >
            > David Malbuff
            > Strasburg, Virginia

          • macatjax
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
              <messabout@...> wrote:

              > Certainly.
              >
              > "History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography" by Thomas
              McAdory
              > Owen LL.D.
              > Chicago, S.J. Clark Publishing Company 1921

              > On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Malbuff <malbuff@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Richard, what's your source here? The Browns of Jackson county
              are
              > > distant cousins
              > > of mine, through my Snodgrass and Dillard lines. Lawrence Edward
              Brown's
              > > aunt,
              > > Mary (Mollie) Brown, married Colonel John Snodgrass in 1862. His
              > > grandfather,
              > > Jeremiah "Jerry" Brown, hired my great-grandfather, 16-year-old W
              > > Stephens,
              > > as law clerk before the younger man went off to Cumberland
              College.

              > > Thanks for the post, and I'd like to cite the source in my
              records.

              > > Glory to God,
              > >
              > > David Malbuff
              > > Strasburg, Virginia

              I have a bio. for Jesse E. Brown somewhere in my files, but it's too
              cold to get them from the file cabinet and, by the way, I live in N.
              FL. Also, have one for Gen. Coffey.

              MJ

            • KLinge6131@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                Do you have a record of Lawerence Edward Browns spouse and children?KM
                Lingenfelter

              • nettiebau1952
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                  This book is available on Google Books.

                  http://books.google.com/books?
                  id=r0kUAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Alabama+history

                  I am astounded what I have found on google books lately.

                  Annette Bradford

                  <messabout@...> wrote:

                  > Certainly.
                  >
                  > "History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography" by Thomas
                  McAdory
                  > Owen LL.D.
                  > Chicago, S.J. Clark Publishing Company 1921

                  > On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Malbuff <malbuff@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Richard, what's your source here? The Browns of Jackson county
                  are
                  > > distant cousins
                  > > of mine, through my Snodgrass and Dillard lines. Lawrence Edward
                  Brown's
                  > > aunt,
                  > > Mary (Mollie) Brown, married Colonel John Snodgrass in 1862. His
                  > > grandfather,
                  > > Jeremiah "Jerry" Brown, hired my great-grandfather, 16-year-old W
                  > > Stephens,
                  > > as law clerk before the younger man went off to Cumberland
                  College.

                  > > Thanks for the post, and I'd like to cite the source in my
                  records.

                  > > Glory to God,
                  > >
                  > > David Malbuff
                  > > Strasburg, Virginia

                • JLH
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 6, 2009
                    Did you run across any information about Hamilton's?

                    John

                    _____

                    --
                    Richard Matthews

                  • Richard Matthews
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 9, 2009
                      No, sorry, not yet

                      On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:24 AM, JLH <hkatherinejohn@...> wrote:

                      > Did you run across any information about Hamilton's?
                      >
                      > John
                      >
                      > _____

                    • JLH
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 9, 2009
                        Thanks I appreciate it. It appears no one here knows anything about the
                        Hamilton's of Section. There were 2 William Alford Hamilton's, father and
                        son. The Father died on the trial removing Indians to Oklahoma but it was in
                        the winter so they were able to bring him home to be buried at Bluff
                        cemetery. They are all buried there the son was my grandfather he had two
                        children Robert Varnell Hamilton was my father, his brother was Valder
                        Curtis. My mother Jewell Wilma Treece is buried there at Bluff Cemetery as
                        well. It said that the original one came from South Carolina. I have seen
                        that on a census report but that seems to be the end for me as far as my
                        Hamilton's goes.

                        Joh Hamilton

                        _____