Lawerence Edward Brown

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
      BROWN, LAWRENCE EDWARD, lawyer, was born August 4, 1876, at
      Scottsboro; son of Jesse Edward and Virginia Elizabeth (Wood) Brown
      (q. v.); grandson of Jeremiah and Mary Magadalien (Williams) Brown,
      and of Dr. Ira Goff and Elvira Ann (Dillard) Wood. He received his
      education from Trl-State University, at Scottsboro, and from the
      University of Virginia. He was admitted to the bar and began the
      practice of law at Scottsboro. He enlisted in the U. S. Army, 1898, as
      battalion adjutant of the First Alabama infantry, U. S. volunteers,
      and served through the Spanish- American war with the rank of first
      lieutenant. He moved to Montgomery and continued his practice there,
      and was appointed in 1919, assistant attorney general of Alabama. He
      is a Democrat and an Episcopalian. Residence: Scottsboro.
    • macatjax
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Richard" <messabout@...>
        wrote:

        > BROWN, LAWRENCE EDWARD, lawyer, was born August 4, 1876, at
        > Scottsboro; son of Jesse Edward and Virginia Elizabeth (Wood) Brown
        > (q. v.); grandson of Jeremiah and Mary Magadalien (Williams) Brown,
        > and of Dr. Ira Goff and Elvira Ann (Dillard) Wood. He received his
        > education from Trl-State University, at Scottsboro, and from the
        > University of Virginia. He was admitted to the bar and began the
        > practice of law at Scottsboro. He enlisted in the U. S. Army, 1898,
        as
        > battalion adjutant of the First Alabama infantry, U. S. volunteers,
        > and served through the Spanish- American war with the rank of first
        > lieutenant. He moved to Montgomery and continued his practice
        there,
        > and was appointed in 1919, assistant attorney general of Alabama.
        He
        > is a Democrat and an Episcopalian. Residence: Scottsboro.

        Richard,

        Why did you post this bio of Lawrence Brown? These are my Browns and
        I have been working on them for a long time. Jesse Edward was the
        brother of my G-Grandfather, Sen. Charles Wm. Brown (marr. Sarah B.
        Coffey). I don't know of any other descendants living from this
        Brown family. Sen. Brown and Sallie had 4 daughters and only two had
        descendants and they are my family.

        M. Johnson

      • Richard Matthews
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009

          --
          Richard Matthews

        • macatjax
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Richard Matthews
            <messabout@...> wrote:

            > > I just ran across the information in an old book and thought some
            list
            > > member might use the information

            > > Richard,
            > >
            > > Why did you post this bio of Lawrence Brown? These are my Browns
            and
            > > I have been working on them for a long time. Jesse Edward was the
            > > brother of my G-Grandfather, Sen. Charles Wm. Brown (marr. Sarah
            B.
            > > Coffey). I don't know of any other descendants living from this
            > > Brown family. Sen. Brown and Sallie had 4 daughters and only two
            had
            > > descendants and they are my family.
            > >
            > > M. Johnson

            Richard,

            As far I can tell, there is no one working on them except me and I
            have searched everything I can find. Nothing ever turns up.
            Lawrence Brown family. I certainly wish that I could find someone who
            is a descendant of my Browns.

            However, a lot of people on this site have family who lived in the
            Limrock, Aspel, Peter's Cove area. If any of them run across any
            information about them, it would be great!

            John Brown married Nancy Cotton Bridges and they came to AL from NC.
            This is unproven, but told as family history.

            There are three marriage records in Madison Co. for John L. A., Jesse
            F., and Jeremiah Brown and they all married Moore females
            in 1826-7. I think we can assume they were brothers and about the
            same age.

            Jeremiah Brown (1800-1866) married #1 Lavenis Moore 1826. They had
            the following children:

            Martha Brown (marr. W. J. Tipton). Their children: John, Bridges,
            and Lewis Tipton.

            Nancy Brown (marr. Mr. ? Yates and nothing else is know. Posssibly
            moved to MS).

            John A. Brown (marr: Judith America Wisdom). Their children: John
            E., T. N., Mattie, M. V. (female) and Penelope. He built the Brown-
            Proctor House in Scottsboro.

            Bridges J. Brown died during the Civil War unmarried.

            Jeremiah Brown married lastly Mary Ann Williams (dau. of Samuel
            Williams, Jr. and Margaret Guinn). Their children were:

            Mary Jane Brown (Marr. Col. John Snodgrass)

            Jesse Edward Brown (marr: Virginia E. Wood). Their children were:
            Zaida, Lawrence E., Jessie L. (F), Clifford, and Virginia May.

            Margaret Ann Epps Brown (marr. Wm. H. Payne)

            *Charles Wm. Brown (1854-1940) marr. Sarah Belle Coffey (dau. of Gen.
            John Reid Coffey and Mary Ann Cross). He attended West Point;
            graduated from the Univ. of AL, worked in the State of AL office of
            Education, Newspaper Editor, Merchant, Poet, and State Senator of AL
            (1911-1914). He was thrown into the River and almost drowned and as
            a result became extremely deaf and had to leave West Point. Later
            on, he and the family moved to Bridgeport and lived there for the
            rest of their lives. They are buried in Mt. Carmel Cem. along with
            their two unmarried daughters.

            NOTES: Gen. Coffey bought the Brown-Proctor House from a Mr. Brooks
            in June 1884 and Sen. Brown and family lived there for a while. The
            house was sold in 1907 to Mr. Proctor.

            I have only recently learned of another John Brown who emigrated to
            the Flint River along with the Sprowls and others. He is not mine.
            He later moved on to LA, so now there is another puzzle to solve. I
            had always been told that Brownsboro was named for mine.

            Mary Ann (Williams) Brown is buried in the old part of Cedar Hill
            along with some of her children. It is unknown where Jeremiah Brown
            was buried, but possibly on his land. There are a lot of land patents
            for him, but I cannot say exactly where this land was located. If
            anyone can help with this, let me know.

            Except for those I have indicated, most of these Browns lived and
            died in Scottsboro.

            Also, it is possible that Nancy Cotton Bridges could be related to
            other Bridges or Cotton families in the area, but so far I see no
            evidence to connect them.

            M. Johnson

            > --
            > Richard Matthews

          • Malbuff
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
              Richard, what's your source here? The Browns of Jackson county are distant cousins
              of mine, through my Snodgrass and Dillard lines. Lawrence Edward Brown's aunt,
              Mary (Mollie) Brown, married Colonel John Snodgrass in 1862. His grandfather,
              Jeremiah "Jerry" Brown, hired my great-grandfather, 16-year-old W L Stephens,
              as law clerk before the younger man went off to Cumberland College.

              Thanks for the post, and I'd like to cite the source in my records.

              Glory to God,

              David Malbuff
              Strasburg, Virginia

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                Certainly.

                "History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography" by Thomas McAdory
                Owen LL.D.
                Chicago, S.J. Clark Publishing Company 1921

                On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Malbuff <malbuff@...> wrote:

                > Richard, what's your source here? The Browns of Jackson county are
                > distant cousins
                > of mine, through my Snodgrass and Dillard lines. Lawrence Edward Brown's
                > aunt,
                > Mary (Mollie) Brown, married Colonel John Snodgrass in 1862. His
                > grandfather,
                > Jeremiah "Jerry" Brown, hired my great-grandfather, 16-year-old W L
                > Stephens,
                > as law clerk before the younger man went off to Cumberland College.
                >
                > Thanks for the post, and I'd like to cite the source in my records.
                >
                > Glory to God,
                >
                > David Malbuff
                > Strasburg, Virginia

              • macatjax
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                  <messabout@...> wrote:

                  > Certainly.
                  >
                  > "History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography" by Thomas
                  McAdory
                  > Owen LL.D.
                  > Chicago, S.J. Clark Publishing Company 1921

                  > On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Malbuff <malbuff@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Richard, what's your source here? The Browns of Jackson county
                  are
                  > > distant cousins
                  > > of mine, through my Snodgrass and Dillard lines. Lawrence Edward
                  Brown's
                  > > aunt,
                  > > Mary (Mollie) Brown, married Colonel John Snodgrass in 1862. His
                  > > grandfather,
                  > > Jeremiah "Jerry" Brown, hired my great-grandfather, 16-year-old W
                  > > Stephens,
                  > > as law clerk before the younger man went off to Cumberland
                  College.

                  > > Thanks for the post, and I'd like to cite the source in my
                  records.

                  > > Glory to God,
                  > >
                  > > David Malbuff
                  > > Strasburg, Virginia

                  I have a bio. for Jesse E. Brown somewhere in my files, but it's too
                  cold to get them from the file cabinet and, by the way, I live in N.
                  FL. Also, have one for Gen. Coffey.

                  MJ

                • KLinge6131@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                    Do you have a record of Lawerence Edward Browns spouse and children?KM
                    Lingenfelter

                  • nettiebau1952
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                      This book is available on Google Books.

                      http://books.google.com/books?
                      id=r0kUAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Alabama+history

                      I am astounded what I have found on google books lately.

                      Annette Bradford

                      <messabout@...> wrote:

                      > Certainly.
                      >
                      > "History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography" by Thomas
                      McAdory
                      > Owen LL.D.
                      > Chicago, S.J. Clark Publishing Company 1921

                      > On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Malbuff <malbuff@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Richard, what's your source here? The Browns of Jackson county
                      are
                      > > distant cousins
                      > > of mine, through my Snodgrass and Dillard lines. Lawrence Edward
                      Brown's
                      > > aunt,
                      > > Mary (Mollie) Brown, married Colonel John Snodgrass in 1862. His
                      > > grandfather,
                      > > Jeremiah "Jerry" Brown, hired my great-grandfather, 16-year-old W
                      > > Stephens,
                      > > as law clerk before the younger man went off to Cumberland
                      College.

                      > > Thanks for the post, and I'd like to cite the source in my
                      records.

                      > > Glory to God,
                      > >
                      > > David Malbuff
                      > > Strasburg, Virginia

                    • JLH
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 6, 2009
                        Did you run across any information about Hamilton's?

                        John

                        _____

                        --
                        Richard Matthews

                      • Richard Matthews
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 9, 2009
                          No, sorry, not yet

                          On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:24 AM, JLH <hkatherinejohn@...> wrote:

                          > Did you run across any information about Hamilton's?
                          >
                          > John
                          >
                          > _____

                        • JLH
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 9, 2009
                            Thanks I appreciate it. It appears no one here knows anything about the
                            Hamilton's of Section. There were 2 William Alford Hamilton's, father and
                            son. The Father died on the trial removing Indians to Oklahoma but it was in
                            the winter so they were able to bring him home to be buried at Bluff
                            cemetery. They are all buried there the son was my grandfather he had two
                            children Robert Varnell Hamilton was my father, his brother was Valder
                            Curtis. My mother Jewell Wilma Treece is buried there at Bluff Cemetery as
                            well. It said that the original one came from South Carolina. I have seen
                            that on a census report but that seems to be the end for me as far as my
                            Hamilton's goes.

                            Joh Hamilton

                            _____