Re: [jacksongenealogy] TRAVEL IN JACKSON CO., AL

  • cagle8185@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
      Red,

      If you say you are from Estill Fork and not related to the Prince family something would be wrong. My great aunt said you should not talk about anybody in the valley because they were all kin, some way are another. Legal or not.

      Bill Cagle

      From: Elaine Tinsley <elaineti@...>
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, January 31, 2009, 1:42 PM

      Red

      I found Fowler's Cove cemetery online. Sorry, I should have looked before I
      asked.

      Elaine

      _____

      From: jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongene alogy%40yahoogro ups.com>
      yahoogroups. com
      From: Elaine Tinsley <elaineti@bellsouth . <mailto:elaineti% 40bellsouth. net>
      net>
      To: jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongene alogy%40yahoogro ups.com>
      yahoogroups. com
      Date: Saturday, January 31, 2009, 7:45 AM

      I am from Fort Payne, but am unable to place the area you are referring to
      in my mind. My g-grandparents were Elizabeth Catherine Martin and Samuel
      Milton Fowler. He is buried at Chaney's Chapel (1884). When I stated working
      on family tree, I had no idea there were so many Fowlers. I assumed they
      were all related in some way. I wonder if our Fowlers are related.

      Elaine Tinsley

      _____

      From: cagle8185@aol. <mailto:cagle8185% 40aol.com> com <cagle8185@aol.
      <mailto:cagle8185% 40aol.com> com>
      To: jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongene alogy%40yahoogro ups.com>
      yahoogroups. com
      Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 3:36 PM

      Red,

      The old home place was burnt in 1980, by hoodlums, from Madison County but
      the old spring house is still there (dated 1917) and this is where the
      Cagles kept their milk. The water came down from a spring up the hollow.

      Swaim?is the cross road and the fork between Larkin and Estill and the
      source of the Paint Rock River. I live 6 miles up the road, on Larkin
      Fork.?This area was called "Harmony" around 1900.

      Are you related to the Johnson's in this area? They live between the Cagle
      Place and the state line at Francisco.

      Bill Cagle
      From: cagle8185@aol. com <cagle8185@aol. com>
      To: jacksongenealogy@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 4:40 PM

      MJ,

      The area you refer to is a?trip back in time. People talk about economic
      problems, in the world today, do not have a clue.?They need to visit this
      area and get a feel for what it was like 100 or 150?years ago.

      At least you had the coal mines around Anderson and Sherwood. Over in the
      next hollow, to the east, you had the mines around Orme. If you go west?and
      go to Estill Fork and then Larkin Fork?there were?no?coal mines or company
      store?and no of source of income. They lived off of the land and depended on
      no one except themselves to survive.

      When the Great Depression hit, they never new?it because life was still the
      same.?

      The Larkin?Fork part of JC is less populated today than it was 100 years
      ago. Most people could not survive under the conditions, they lived in.

      When TVA, came?to the Tennessee Valley,?things started to change. The young
      folks found a way out and life started to change. Very few young folks
      had?no desire to live in these conditions, after they saw the good life. So,
      here we are, now moaning about the economic problems, and bad times ahead.

      The old hand cut fireplaces and chimneys can be found, back in the
      mountains, but no people. The old tombstones, at the old cemetery, mark
      where they lay, but no people.

      If you are having a bad day and think things are bad, come up to the north
      west part of JC and take a hike back in the hills and find the remains of a
      old fireplace or cemetery and set down and think about it.

      Bill Cagle