1910 Census

  • rgpipes@hughes.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 24, 2009
      On the 1900 Jackson County Alabama Census I find Ephraim/Ephram
      LATHAM/LATHEM (38) with his wife Sallie and several children, Dora, Millie
      Milise, James E and some that I can't make out their names. Can anyone tell
      me their names? One may be Jennie/Johnie and maybe a Cora but not sure. I am
      trying to find them in the 1910 census. If anyone has time would you please
      see if you can find this family for me. I know that Dora B LATHAM went on to
      marry a Duke SMITH and they had at least one son named Earl SMITH. In the
      1920 census I find Sallie with only James E and Hattie LATHAM. Hattie I 1920
      was married to a VINSON. One of the girls married a JOHNSON because by 1930
      Sallie LATHAM as mother, Virginia JOHNSON as niece was living in Hollywood,
      Jackson County, Alabama with James E and Ora G LATHAM.

      Thank you as usual for all your help.

    • Linda Wilson
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 24, 2009
        Ephraim Lathan in 1910
        They are listed as Idie L. Lethan. If you can;t find them I will send the info.

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 24, 2009
          Thank you Linda. I found them but it is sure hard to read. On the 1900
          census it says they had seven children but only six were listed. One must
          have married before these census were taken. I hate that the 1890 census
          were destroyed. I see in the 1910 census they have Hattie which is the
          youngest and I am only finding out about her.

          Thank you so much for the help.
          Regina

          _____

          They are listed as Idie L. Lethan. If you can;t find them I will send the
          info.

          6:54 PM

        • Eulonda Owens
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 30, 2011
            Does anyone else have problems finding relatives in the 1910 census? Maybe there was a problem?
          • Karl Plenge
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 30, 2011
              > Does anyone else have problems finding relatives in the 1910 census? Maybe there was a problem?

              For me, it doesn't seem to be consistent, I have problems finding one family or person in one census, another in another.

            • Richard Burton
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 30, 2011
                I found my family line in Talladega county Al for the 1910 Federal Census through ancestry.com as of Jan 30,2:30 CST.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 30, 2011
                  When I was searching for people in the 1910 census in Jackson Co. I could not
                  find them on Ancestry. I had another census ( I forgot the name of the program)
                  that was better indexed. This was a few years back.
                   Ancestry was suppose to improve their index.
                  Don't know If they have.

                • Clay Gullatt
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 30, 2011
                    Try using familysearch.org theirs has been indexed within the last 2 couple of years.

                    Ancestry. com has updated theirs within the past couple of years. Try using soundex when searching on ancestry with the birth year, birth state, plus or minus two years and if no luck 5 years.

                    Another trick if they have an unusal first name is to leave off the surname and just search with given name birth state and birth year plus or minus.

                    Clay

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 31, 2011
                      Thanks Clay.  We are so fortunate to have you helping us.

                      Does anyone else have problems finding relatives in the 1910 census? Maybe there was a problem?

                    • cmitchellbox
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 1, 2011
                        1910 is my worst Census. I found my grandfather Johnathan transcribed as Vonovan. I'm still looking for other family in 1910. I still haven't found him in 1900.

                        I have used neighbors who live in an 'own home' and gone back to see if I can find them. I have had a bit of success doing that. I, also, look at other family members as many lived near each other.

                        familysearch.org has been helpful. You may want to try other relatives and see if maybe you get a hit.

                        Good luck.
                        Charlotte

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 1, 2011
                          I have to ask what might have been happening that year?  The problem is not limited to Al. seems to happen in every state I've looked in.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 1, 2011
                            Many of the 1910 census images are faded and hard to read so there are many errors.

                            Leave off the first name and search with surname, date and state of birth or just the surname if your are searching in one county and also use the soundex search.

                            Try using the wild card * such as the first 3 or 4 letters of the surname with the wild card * such as gull* if that gives too too many names add another letter.

                            If you find an error on ancestry.com leave a correction.

                            Clay

                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 2, 2011
                              Hooray!!     Ancestry just updated the 1910 census and I have already found one missing relative.

                              I have to ask what might have been happening that year?  The problem is not limited to Al. seems to happen in every state I've looked in.

                              1910 is my worst Census. I found my grandfather Johnathan transcribed as Vonovan. I'm still looking for other family in 1910. I still haven't found him in 1900.

                              I have used neighbors who live in an 'own home' and gone back to see if I can find them. I have had a bit of success doing that. I, also, look at other family members as many lived near each other.

                              familysearch.org has been helpful. You may want to try other relatives and see if maybe you get a hit.

                              Good luck.
                              Charlotte
                              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                              > Try using familysearch.org theirs has been indexed within the last 2 couple of years.
                              >
                              > Ancestry. com has updated theirs within the past couple of years. Try using soundex when searching on ancestry with the birth year, birth state, plus or minus two years and if no luck 5 years.
                              >
                              > Another trick if they have an unusal first name is to leave off the surname and just search with given name birth state and birth year plus or minus.
                              >
                              > Clay

                            • Regina Pipes
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 2, 2011
                                Any GOLD relatives?

                                Regina

                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 3, 2011
                                  I don't have a clue what happened in 1910 but I have an educated guess. I, also, agree it's in all states. For me personally, the 1880 Census was the best. Clear handwriting. Beginning in 1900, it got worse. By 1910, horrible for me. 1920 & 1930 depended upon where it was located. I think possibly many people didn't know how to read or write. Here in Texas, city or country areas, it has been difficult. I have found names like: Pendall FOR Randall. I do submit corrections on every error I find. I don't know if I made sense. JMO
                                  Charlotte

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 3, 2011
                                    Yes I agree about the 1880 for clarity of information but think there are a lot of people missing. Probably due to travel conditions.  Your answer was prefectly clear .

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 3, 2011
                                       Almost all my maternal ancestors are Gold's ( grandparents were cousins) going back to Michael and his son Thomas. I know you and I share some great greats.