Rouse Cemetery

  • Mike Cummons
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
      While I was looking over the cemeteries listings in Jackson County, AL I saw a ROUSE Cemetery. If anyone knows anything about this cemetery I sure would appreciate the information. I'm searching for the family of James ROUSE. His daughter Melissa Sue "Susie" married James Harry SILLS in 1895 in Chattanooga, Hamilton County, TN.

      Thanks,
      Georgia Mathis Cummons
      Jacksonville, FL
    • MaryWinn@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
        The book, Paint Rock Valley Pioneers which lists quite a few cemeteries in
        Jackson and Madison counties does not have a Rouse cemetery, but it does list
        some Rouses. Unfortunately, no James is listed.
        marywinn@...
      • Richard Matthews
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
          > The book, Paint Rock Valley Pioneers which lists quite a few cemeteries in
          > Jackson and Madison counties does not have a Rouse cemetery, but it does
          list
          > some Rouses. Unfortunately, no James is listed.
          > marywinn@...

          In my Matthews family tree I have a Jesse Rouse marring a Elizabeth
          Matthews, she was born 1862
        • Mike Cummons
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
            Richard,

            Thanks so much for the response. I was surprised to see Rouse Cemetery. I
            think I've downloaded your family tree from your Matthews web page---I did
            that a couple of years ago. Do you know anything about Jesse Rouse?

            Thanks again for the response

            Georgia

          • MaryWinn@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
              Richard,
              I don't find any Rouses in Paint Rock Valley Pioneers that match yours.
              marywinn@...
            • Richard Matthews
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
                Hello Mike,

                I have never been to the Rouse Cemetery, but the information that I have
                says it is off the right side of the main road (Al 65) that runs from US hwy
                72 up Paint Rock Valley ,on Co Rd 12, about 10 miles from the 72
                intersection. That is in the Hollytree community out near the Williams Cove
                Church.

                Some of these old cemeteries are difficult to locate without local
                knowledge.

                There is a James Edward Rouse (he is about 65 years old) who lives in the
                valley married to a Mavis Ellen Roberts

                He may know about the Rouses of that area.

                > From: "Mike Cummons" <cummons@...>
                >
                > Richard,
                >
                > Thanks so much for the response. I was surprised to see Rouse Cemetery.
                > think I've downloaded your family tree from your Matthews web page---I did
                > that a couple of years ago. Do you know anything about Jesse Rouse?
                >
                > Thanks again for the response
                >
                > Georgia

              • Richard Matthews
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 12, 1999
                  > From: MaryWinn@...
                  >
                  > Richard,
                  > I don't find any Rouses in Paint Rock Valley Pioneers that match yours.
                  > marywinn@...

                  Not being critical of any of our local history books, but there are tons of
                  information that is not included in them about many of our local families.
                  We are lucky to have had the dedicated writers who have given what we do
                  have though.

                  My 2nd great grand dad's (James) oldest brother John Thomas Mathews was one
                  of the early settlers of the upper end of the Hurricane Creek area of Paint
                  Rock Valley. His wife was Elizabeth Sanders. Their youngest daughter,
                  Amanda, married Jesse Rouse, one of the Paint Rock valley Rouse boys. John
                  and Elizabeth moved on to Johnson County, Arkansas after the War between the
                  States. Some of his children moved on with him. John was born in Big Coon,
                  just up and over the mountain there at Hytop down in Matthews Cove. He died
                  in Arkansas in 1871 and his wife and some children moved back. to Jackson
                  County. Amanda married after their return.

                  Richard
                • MaryWinn@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 13, 1999
                    Hello Richard, your point is well taken; however, Paint Rock Valley Pioneers
                    is only a cemetery listing. There are no biographies, etc., just some
                    comment on a few of the people that the writers knew. It also doesn't give
                    info about the people I am searching who have been there since very early
                    times. I'm located down here in Florida away from being able to research
                    things in those counties, and have only the Paint Rock Valley Pioneers book
                    as a research tool other than the internet. When a name comes over the list,
                    as a courtesy, I check the book. This list has been wonderful on info that I
                    have used, and I want to give back when I can.
                    Regards
                    marywinn@...
                  • Richard Matthews
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 13, 1999
                      Hello Mary,

                      Your input is very much appreciated too. I don't have ready access to the
                      Paint Rock Pioneers book and I am sure many others don't either, so your
                      input is valuable.

                      Everyone researching Jackson County can benefit greatly from active
                      participation on the discussion group . . . . . . . . . plus, it's a lot of
                      fun and you meet so many nice folks like you.

                      Richard