Re: [jacksongenealogy] Jackson County

  • gregthomas
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 7, 2001
      Thanks James! It appears I am close to you. I live in Mt. Pleasant, Texas.

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
        Hello,

        Do any of you know when the Court House burned down?
        Do you know if any of the marriage and birth records were saved?
        ALSO HOW CAN I GET THIS DOCUMENTED?

        In God's Service
        Patricia Mills
        <A HREF="cherokeeindain@...">cherokeeindian77@...</A>

      • Jeanette
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
          which state for this Jackson Co? I have info on all the court houses that
          burned?? Jenette.

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
            Thank you Regina, It would be nice if AL was in the heading, ha. My book
            does not say that Jackson Co burned, but the records are very short
            there.....something must have happened. Jeanette.

            At 10:49 AM 2/3/03 -0600, you wrote:
            >I would think they were talking about Jackson County, Alabama since this is
            >the Jackson County, Alabama web site. :-)
            >
            >Regina

          • Regina Pipes
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
                When it was at Belfonte I think it burned. I know some of the records
                were destroyed during the Civil War.

                Thank you Regina, It would be nice if AL was in the heading, ha. My book
                does not say that Jackson Co burned, but the records are very short
                there.....something must have happened. Jeanette.

                At 10:49 AM 2/3/03 -0600, you wrote:
                >I would think they were talking about Jackson County, Alabama since this is
                >the Jackson County, Alabama web site. :-)
                >
                >Regina

                l/S=:HM/A=1392371/rand=849759328>

              • herbert gullatt
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
                  The courthouse was burned during the Civil War. I don't know if the courthouse at Scotsboro was burned but all of Bellefonte ( the old county seat) was burned. It was said nothing was left standing but for a fence post. Two of my great-uncles entered claims for having their property burned at Bellefonte but received nothing.
                  There must be some records that were not burned because a cousin said she had see records in the basement of the Scotsboro courthouse with my gg-grandmother's signature (Catherine Gullatt). She died in 1861.
                  Also some records were at the state capital.
                  Contact: Ann B. Chambliss this site.
                  Clay Gullatt
                  cherokeeindian77@... wrote:Hello,

                  Do any of you know when the Court House burned down?
                  Do you know if any of the marriage and birth records were saved?
                  ALSO HOW CAN I GET THIS DOCUMENTED?

                  In God's Service
                  Patricia Mills
                  <A HREF="cherokeeindain@...">cherokeeindian77@...</A>