Jackson County

  • Jpete75910@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 6, 2001
      I also have a lot of ancestors from Scottsboro and Jackson County and I
      would hate to see anybody leave this list or be banned. The lady said it was
      an accident and that should be enough. CASE CLOSED.
      I have made a few mistakes in my life,and with the good Lord's help, I hope
      to live long enough to make some more of them.
      Let's get on with this and look up all of them Teftellers, Clemens,
      Headricks, and Howells. And one Granddaughter in the house of Marion Howell
      in 1900 named Catherine Gamble or Campbell.

      James Peterson
      Texarkana, Arkansas

    • gregthomas
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 7, 2001
        Thanks James! It appears I am close to you. I live in Mt. Pleasant, Texas.

      • cherokeeindian77@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
          Hello,

          Do any of you know when the Court House burned down?
          Do you know if any of the marriage and birth records were saved?
          ALSO HOW CAN I GET THIS DOCUMENTED?

          In God's Service
          Patricia Mills
          <A HREF="cherokeeindain@...">cherokeeindian77@...</A>

        • Jeanette
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
            which state for this Jackson Co? I have info on all the court houses that
            burned?? Jenette.

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
              Thank you Regina, It would be nice if AL was in the heading, ha. My book
              does not say that Jackson Co burned, but the records are very short
              there.....something must have happened. Jeanette.

              At 10:49 AM 2/3/03 -0600, you wrote:
              >I would think they were talking about Jackson County, Alabama since this is
              >the Jackson County, Alabama web site. :-)
              >
              >Regina

            • Regina Pipes
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
                  When it was at Belfonte I think it burned. I know some of the records
                  were destroyed during the Civil War.

                  Thank you Regina, It would be nice if AL was in the heading, ha. My book
                  does not say that Jackson Co burned, but the records are very short
                  there.....something must have happened. Jeanette.

                  At 10:49 AM 2/3/03 -0600, you wrote:
                  >I would think they were talking about Jackson County, Alabama since this is
                  >the Jackson County, Alabama web site. :-)
                  >
                  >Regina

                  l/S=:HM/A=1392371/rand=849759328>

                • herbert gullatt
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
                    The courthouse was burned during the Civil War. I don't know if the courthouse at Scotsboro was burned but all of Bellefonte ( the old county seat) was burned. It was said nothing was left standing but for a fence post. Two of my great-uncles entered claims for having their property burned at Bellefonte but received nothing.
                    There must be some records that were not burned because a cousin said she had see records in the basement of the Scotsboro courthouse with my gg-grandmother's signature (Catherine Gullatt). She died in 1861.
                    Also some records were at the state capital.
                    Contact: Ann B. Chambliss this site.
                    Clay Gullatt
                    cherokeeindian77@... wrote:Hello,

                    Do any of you know when the Court House burned down?
                    Do you know if any of the marriage and birth records were saved?
                    ALSO HOW CAN I GET THIS DOCUMENTED?

                    In God's Service
                    Patricia Mills
                    <A HREF="cherokeeindain@...">cherokeeindian77@...</A>